2017 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do beat Geelong, you'll probably get a home final against Richmond, and Geelong will travel to Adelaide.
I'm thinking that as well, and AO to play you if we do lose. Our percentage is now very close to the Tigers and there'd be some swing if we lost. I cant see the Tigers losing.
Personally I dont mind Adelaide for a few days, and finals are different in lots if ways than H/A games.
With the AFL managing the ground, even the changerooms and cheer squad ends are raffled.
Certainly not a negative for you guys though. We would have a small minority of support, but no tkt access issues and shoukdn't strain the available Hotel accomodation, which traditionally happens for big events there.

My Prediction that I posted last year in October
1. Adelaide - correct
2. GWS Giants - Pretty close (tbc)

3. Western Bulldogs - way off
4. Sydney - Pretty close (tbc)
5. St Kilda - way off
6. Melbourne - Pretty close
7. Geelong - I underrated them massively
8. Hawthorn - Didn't expect what happened this year but they showed a lot of improvement in the second half

9. Collingwood - Overrated them
10. West Coast - Pretty close
11. Richmond - surprised me a lot this year
12. Carlton - I overrated them by a fair margin but they've showed good signs under Bolton
13. Fremantle - Pretty close
14. Port Adelaide -
15. Essendon - Didn't expect this sort of year from the Bombers, deserve to finish 8th
16. North Melbourne - Pretty close
17. Gold Coast - Pretty close
18. Brisbane - Pretty close

50/50 on a lot of calls.

West Coast finished about where I expected, struggling with out NN's service in the ruck.

The old preseason predictions... Oh dear this is bad.

Adelaide 18-4 - Good call
GWS 17-5 - Good call
West Coast 17-5 - Way off
Sydney 15-7 - Good call
Western Bulldogs 14-8 - Not way off, but off none the less
Hawthorn 14-8 - Off
St Kilda 14-8 - Slightly overrated - can still mathematically finish here I think
Essendon 13-9 - On the money I'm hoping
--------------------------
Port Adelaide 12-10 - Slightly underrated
Fremantle 12-10 - Overrated
Gold Coast 10-12- Overrated
Geelong 9-13 - Way underrated
Melbourne 8-14 - Underrated by a big margin
Collingwood 6-16 - Ladder position not too far off, but the win-loss column...
Brisbane 6-16 - Not too far off
North Melbourne 5-17 - Close
Richmond 5-17 - Probably my worst call of the season
Carlton 2-20 - Not too bad

Essendon, Richmond and Gold Coast above Collingwood on the ladder?

4OVLKQc.gif

How do you figure that?

and a massive lol at some of the people in this thread who put North Melbourne above us. Especially by 4 or more places.

Pleased to see most people putting Melbourne and St Kilda in the top 8 though. They both definitely showed this year that they can hang with and beat top 8 and even top 4 sides. Inconsistency was there problem. Lost games they shouldn't have.

I'm a little surprised to see a few people that think Adelaide will finish 1st or 2nd. Adelaide better than Buldogs, GWS and the Swannies? Nope. They'll probably finish 4th or 5th though. We saw what difference no Sloane made to that mid-field. Compare their mid-field to Dogs, GWS and Sidney. There's no comparison.

I love finding these old posts

The old preseason predictions... Oh dear this is bad.

Adelaide 18-4 - Good call
GWS 17-5 - Good call
West Coast 17-5 - Way off
Sydney 15-7 - Good call
Western Bulldogs 14-8 - Not way off, but off none the less
Hawthorn 14-8 - Off
St Kilda 14-8 - Slightly overrated - can still mathematically finish here I think
Essendon 13-9 - On the money I'm hoping
--------------------------
Port Adelaide 12-10 - Slightly underrated
Fremantle 12-10 - Overrated
Gold Coast 10-12- Overrated
Geelong 9-13 - Way underrated
Melbourne 8-14 - Underrated by a big margin
Collingwood 6-16 - Ladder position not too far off, but the win-loss column...
Brisbane 6-16 - Not too far off
North Melbourne 5-17 - Close
Richmond 5-17 - Probably my worst call of the season
Carlton 2-20 - Not too bad
If only the season ended after rd 5 you would have been spot on for our season wins.

Same boat as ess - but your coming off back to back bottom 4 and heading for a 3 peat. It was great to grab some final wins before the rebuild.

Winning finals is awesome.
giphy.gif

Our boys are going up and your irrelevant ones are plunging, same boat :thumbsu:

North, Essendon; same boat. Oh my :$

This is mine from before the season started. So, so, so bad haha. Sorry Richmond and Port fans.
I put money on the grand final to be played by Adelaide and GWS back in January, though, so at least that's looking good.
First prediction March 21.png

GWS
Sydney
Geelong
Adelaide (depends if we can land a big fish in trade week)
Bulldogs
West Coast
Hawthorn
Melbourne

Collingwood
Port
St Kilda
Essendon
Gold Coast
Fremantle
Richmond
Carlton
North Melb
Brisbane

who knows!!!
Found it from way back in oct 2016:

"
GWS
Sydney
Geelong
Adelaide (depends if we can land a big fish in trade week)
Bulldogs
West Coast
Hawthorn
Melbourne

Collingwood
Port
St Kilda
Essendon
Gold Coast
Fremantle
Richmond
Carlton
North Melb
Brisbane"

Geez.. look where I put the tigers haha sorry tigers fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 8 Certanties
1-Swans
2-Eagles
3-Crows
Expect all 3 to be strong contenders with home base advantages to come into play
4-Dogs
5-GWS
Consistency is still a ? for me and both will have stronger draws to contend with. The hangover for the Dogs is a concern for me, but should still make top 4.
6-Hawks
the extremes in experience will start to narrow. Jaeger, Vickery & Mitchell are strong additions if they come off. Still a dangerous forward line.
Top 8 Contenders
7-Dees
8-Dons
2 teams i expect the most improvement from. Melbourne in consistency and Essendon from bottom of the ladder with a full list and an expected easy draw from finishing last.
-----------------------
9-Cats
Biggest slider for mine. Draw will go from second easiest in 2016 to likely one of the toughest. Not in a position to add a lot of talent, so the reliance on Paddy and Selwood will be a problem.
10-Dockers
11-Saints
12-Collingwood
Will be competitive in a tough slog of a year.
Anyone from 7-12 is a chance of making the last 2 spots in the 8 if they take their chances and other teams don't
Unlikely Top 8 teams
13-Port
Jettisoning players like Hartlett and Lobbe due to salary cap pressure is not ideal. Esp for a team that hasn't threatened the 8 in a while. not sure who comes in to improve this squad into a top 8 team.
14-North
15-Suns
16-Tigers
17-Carlton
Bit of a combo of teams who are still building good lists (Blues and Suns) and some ex-top 8'ers who will enter rebuild phases (Roos, Tigers)
18-Lions
Will be a tough year as they transition to a new model and continue building the list
5/8 made the top 8.
Got the spoon right
And the saints at 11

GWS
Western Bulldogs
Sydney
West Coast
Geelong
Adelaide
Melbourne
Hawthorn
------------------
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
St.Kilda
Richmond
Essendon
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Gold Coast
Carlton
Brisbane

Had St.Kilda pegged and got the bottom five right, with Carlton & Gold Coast swapping on percentage. Missed badly on Richmond (+) and Bulldogs (-).

We only played the likes of Brisbane & Gold coast once...
Nah, considering where you finished last year you had an easy draw. I mean, for a start, Hawks twice and pathetic Port twice.
Other thing is Port played our tougher teams away whereas yours were mostly at home. In reality the difficulty of our draw and yours was on par especially considering we finished well outside the eight last year.
Anyway you are minor premiers and raging favourites. Anything less than the cup this year is a fail and I am sure you agree.
No more banter.

Okay, time to front up and compare my prediction to the reality:

Posted 3 October 2016:

'This is an absolute fool's errand, but I'll have a crack nonetheless:

1. GWS (Overrated. Thought they'd mature but instead seemingly gone backwards)
2. Sydney (Overrated but they are going into finals as huge flag contenders despite finishing 6th)
3. Western Bulldogs (The surprise drop-off of 2017)
4. Adelaide (Underrated the Crows a bit here)
5. West Coast (Overrated)
6. Geelong (Credit to the Cats, I thought they'd go backwards but have finished 2nd)
7. Hawthorn (Overrated. Didn't think they'd drop out of the eight altogether).
8. St Kilda (I took St Kilda's side in the Dees/Saints debate. Turns out, neither made the eight)
-
9. Melbourne (Spot on, yay)
10. Essendon (Underrated. Didn't think they'd bounce straight back)
11. Gold Coast (Overrated. Thought surely they'll get a better run with luck/injuries)
12. Fremantle (Around the mark)
13. Carlton (Overrated slightly)
14. Collingwood (One place off. As predictable as clockwork).
15. Port Adelaide (Underrated massively. I couldn't see how they'd return to the eight)
16. Richmond (Same as Port)
17. Brisbane (Overrated or underrated depending on which way you look at it. On the rise)
18. North Melbourne (Underrated. They got some respectable wins and honourable losses)

But I know for a fact that one of the teams I've rated highly will drop off [Bulldogs] and a team that I thought were going nowhere will play very well [Richmond].

My best effort:
1. GWS (good call)
2. Western Bulldogs (way too high)
3. Geelong (good call)
4. Adelaide (slightly low)
5. Sydney (good call)
6. Hawthorn (too high)
7. West Coast (good call)
8. Essendon (good call)
9. Melbourne (good call)
10. St Kilda (good call)
11. Collingwood (good call)
12. Port Adelaide (too low)
13. Fremantle (good call)
14. North Melbourne (good call)
15. Carlton (good call)
16. Richmond (horrendously low)
17. Gold Coast (good call)
18. Brisbane (good call)

Overall did well. Got six of the top eight and only had a couple of howlers.

My final 2017 AFL Premiership Season ladder

1. Sydney Swans
15-17 wins, 16 wins
2. Western Bulldogs 13-17 wins, 16 wins
3. GWS Giants 14-17 wins, 16 wins
4. West Coast 12-16 wins, 15 wins
5. St Kilda 11-15 wins, 14 wins
6. Melbourne 11-15 wins, 14 wins
7. Geelong 11-15 wins, 13 wins
8. Adelaide 11-15 wins, 12 wins
9. Hawthorn 10-14 wins, 11 wins
10. Gold Coast 9-12 wins, 10 wins
11. Essendon 9-12 wins, 10 wins
12. Richmond 9-12 wins, 10 wins
13. Collingwood 8-12 wins, 9 wins
14. Fremantle 7-10 wins, 8 wins
15. North Melbourne 6-9 wins, 7 wins
16. Port Adelaide 6-9 wins, 7 wins
17. Carlton 4-7 wins, 5 wins
18. Brisbane 4-7 wins, 5 wins

I got the correct final ladder position and the amount of wins for Brisbane, Fremantle and Collingwood but I had my fair share of howlers as well. Port Adelaide, Richmond, Adelaide, Geelong I underrated massively, whereas I really overrated the Dogs, West Coast, St Kilda, Melbourne and Gold Coast. Anyway, it was great to see some teams surprise like the Power and the Tigers. Next season is going to be more unpredictable I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back