2017 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically everyone thinks the Lions will finish last next just like everyone thought that Carlton would finish last this season yet people have Essendon jumping the shark in 2017 when they had basically the same team in 2015 and finished bottom 4

fonziejumpsshark3sl.gif

Those who have the Lions getting the wooden spoon could be looking silly after round 5 when Brisbane is 5 and 0 after 5 rounds

MX6bDKF.gif

The earlier predictions are quite funny. Richmond and Essendon in the bottom half a dozen. Adelaide and Geelobg missing the eight. Bulldogs fans (rightfully) laughing at predictions with them in the bottom rungs of or missing the eight. Shows how unpredictable this season has been.

So this was my prediction before the season started:

344801_f0a553e82c5ee1c29bad417592dd3d4a.png

Was anyone else in this thread closer to the mark? Share it if you did.

For fun, feel free to go look back at the reactions to my prediction. People were... not supportive.
1) GWS (4th)
2) Adelaide (1st)
3) Sydney (6th)
4) Geelong (2nd)
5) Western Bulldogs (10th)
6) West Coast (8th)
7) Fremantle (14th)
8) St.Kilda (11th)

9) Melbourne (-)
10) Essendon (8th)
11) Port Adelaide (5th)
12) Hawthorn (-)
13) Collingwood (-)
14) Richmond (3rd)
15) North Melbourne (-)
16) Gold Coast (17th)
17) Carlton (16th)
18) Brisbane (-)

Correct with 3 of the top 4, bottom 4 correct. Biggest fail was Richmond and Freo predictions

So this was my prediction before the season started:

344801_f0a553e82c5ee1c29bad417592dd3d4a.png

Was anyone else in this thread closer to the mark? Share it if you did.

For fun, feel free to go look back at the reactions to my prediction. People were... not supportive.
That's impressive. 16 out of 18 pretty good. Only Richmond and Bulldogs way off the mark.

No, Port have been expected to be good the last 2 years and they've failed miserably.

Time to realise they are just an average team.

just Melbourne supporter things

ok ok I'm done being petty now I promise.

ahhh yes... scroll back through the thread and quote all the predictions that were wrong from January like a ruddy hero.

Because it was easy to predict this year.

Port will win the flag...am I doing it right now.
At least marty hasnt started this year

ahhh yes... scroll back through the thread and quote all the predictions that were wrong from January like a ruddy hero.

Because it was easy to predict this year.

Port will win the flag...am I doing it right now.
Maybe you shouldn't have been rude and patronising to me when making my prediction then?

Just a thought.

1. GWS
2. Geelong
3. Adelaide
4. Bulldogs

Geelong has finished top 4 four out of the last six seasons. Placing top 2 in 3 of those seasons. I think us being there is more likely than anything else probability wise, as well as not winning the flag.

Really

So you have been a good side, that doesn't mean you will be a good side in 2017.

You have lost an enormous amount of experience and really not replaced it. I will be amazed if you make top 4.

Can't believe I had to wait almost a year. The evidence in my favour was almost scientific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe I had to wait almost a year. The evidence in my favour was almost scientific.
Well I admit to being amazed that Geelong have done as well as they have.

In a few posts around I suggested that the loss of experience would be detrimental and even stated that I had placed bets on Hawthorn, Geelong and North to all miss the 8, because of that experience decline from 2016 across all 3 teams.

I reasoned that they could not all make finals and at least 2 would definitely miss.

I may have been wrong about Geelong but I made a nice profit on the bets.

Well I admit to being amazed that Geelong have done as well as they have.

In a few posts around I suggested that the loss of experience would be detrimental and even stated that I had placed bets on Hawthorn, Geelong and North to all miss the 8, because of that experience decline from 2016 across all 3 teams.

I reasoned that they could not all make finals and at least 2 would definitely miss.

I may have been wrong about Geelong but I made a nice profit on the bets.

nearly everyone had North missing, and many or most Hawthorn

1. GWS (actual 4th)
2. Sydney (actual 6th)
3. Adelaide (actual 1st)
4. Port Adelaide (actual 5th)
5. Western Bulldogs (actual 10th)
6. Collingwood (actual 13th)
7. Hawthorn (actual 12th)
8. Essendon (actual 7th)
9. Melbourne (actual 9th)
10. Geelong (actual 2nd)
11. West Coast (actual 8th)
12. St Kilda (actual 11th)
13. Fremantle (actual 14th)
14. Carlton (actual 16th)
15. Richmond (actual 3rd)
16. Gold Coast (actual 17th)
17. North Melbourne (actual 15th)
18. Brisbane (actual 18th)

Picked the wrong big four team to have a resurgence with Essendon (Collingwood over Richmond) and picked the wrong team that relied on third man up to fail because of it (Western Bulldogs over Geelong). And overrated Hawthorn.

Found a guy early who picked 6 of 8 leaving out only Richmond and Essendon (which almost everyone did)

If you got 8 you are either a seer or an idiot!

Who would leave out the premiers and include the team that finished last ... and Richmond.

1. GWS - kids have matured will be hard to beat
2. Sydney - very few weaknesses and lots of midfield stars
3. West Coast - sam mitchell will make a big difference
4. Western Bulldogs - boyd will be better during regular season and one of cloke and crameri should improve the fwd line
5. Adelaide - could go higher if brad crouch stays fit and jacobs returns to form
6. Melbourne - could go even higher with their list provided gawn maintains form and hogan continues to get better
7. St Kilda - provided jack steven and riewoldt stay injury free. Building depth but those two are irreplaceable much like geelongs two
8. Geelong - don't wish injuries to anyone but one to danger or selwood for 4 weeks plus and i see them falling back. Have had a good run so statistically due
9. Hawthorn - too many senior player losses
10. Richmond - like prestia and caddy as recruits but still have holes
11. Collingwood - forward line may struggle. Mayne isn't the answer and will wells stay injury free?
12. Fremantle - rate some of their youngsters but game plan a worry
13. Essendon - the big unknown
14. Gold Coast - if ablett returns to best form could go higher
15. Port Adelaide - hinkley first coach to be sacked
16. North Melbourne - rebuild mode
17. Carlton - Building depth but still young
18. Brisbane - some good bones in rebuild but still young

I am tipping a very even year with every club to have at least 5 wins and top place to have 16 wins. Will need 13 to make the 8.

Like everyone, had some bloopers. Right on the even year. Predicted bottom to have at least 5 wins, top no more than 16 wins and an even season. 12 wins was also not enough to make the 8 (melbourne).

Port Adelaide the biggest miss. Got that horribly wrong!

My crack at the ladder, honestly not confident one bit.

Footscray
Adelaide
Sydney
Western Sydney
West Coast
Geelong
Hawthorn
St Kilda

Collingwood
Melbourne
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton
Brisbane
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Only picked five of the top eight correctly. I always thought the Crows were onto something this year, but I foolishly drank the Bulldogs bathwater over the summer, rather than treating it like a Leicester one off.

The two surprises for me where Port with their new young guns and the return of Ryder really giving the side a shot in the arm when their trajectory was downwards, so well done there...and of course Richmond. I have never seen Richmond a threat to anyone in my lifetime and that perception was not going to change until they did something dramatic, they will be a factor in years to come now.

Hawthorn's start was a shock to us all, if they had pulled a couple out of the fire they could have snuck into the eight but not to be.

And my side, Geelong, I was burned by the PF last year and did not know what would happen but I have to say I am impressed how the second tier players have stood up this year and provided the depth needed to be a top two side capable of going deep into September.

My final 2017 AFL Premiership Season ladder

1. Sydney Swans
15-17 wins, 16 wins
2. Western Bulldogs 13-17 wins, 16 wins
3. GWS Giants 14-17 wins, 16 wins
4. West Coast 12-16 wins, 15 wins
5. St Kilda 11-15 wins, 14 wins
6. Melbourne 11-15 wins, 14 wins
7. Geelong 11-15 wins, 13 wins
8. Adelaide 11-15 wins, 12 wins
9. Hawthorn 10-14 wins, 11 wins
10. Gold Coast 9-12 wins, 10 wins
11. Essendon 9-12 wins, 10 wins
12. Richmond 9-12 wins, 10 wins
13. Collingwood 8-12 wins, 9 wins
14. Fremantle 7-10 wins, 8 wins
15. North Melbourne 6-9 wins, 7 wins
16. Port Adelaide 6-9 wins, 7 wins
17. Carlton 4-7 wins, 5 wins
18. Brisbane 4-7 wins, 5 wins

I got the correct final ladder position and the amount of wins for Brisbane, Fremantle and Collingwood but I had my fair share of howlers as well. Port Adelaide, Richmond, Adelaide, Geelong I underrated massively, whereas I really overrated the Dogs, West Coast, St Kilda, Melbourne and Gold Coast. Anyway, it was great to see some teams surprise like the Power and the Tigers. Next season is going to be more unpredictable I reckon.

Lol port that low? Melbourne was a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back