Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Duman Pearce Hamling
HB: Wilson Logue Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Hill B
HF: Mundy Cox Hill S
FF: Walters Hogan Lobb
R: Darcy Blakely Brayshaw
Int: Cerra Conca Banfield Giro

Not changing mine from before the draft. I’m happy with these guys atm so all of the talent from the draft is bubbling away under the surface which is a great sign. Our depth is soooo much better than last year.

I hope Ross stays on the youth path I have included current ages with that in mind and I cant believe im gonna say this perhaps mundys spot is in the most danger as a mid forward.
FB: Ryan 20 Hamling 25 Logue 20
HB: Wilson 25 Pearce 23 Shill 28
C: Bhill 25 Blakely 22 Langdon 20
HF: sturt 18 Hogan 23 Bennell 26
FF: Switkowski 19 Lobb 25 Walters 27

ruck: Darcy 20 Fyfe 27 Cerra 19
Brayshaw 19 Valente 18 Mundy 33 Banfield 20

My 2 cents worth.
Would love to see Sturt and Schultz earn their way in for some extra forward line class.

Firsts:

FB: Logue - Hamling - Wilson

HB: Ryan – Pearce – Cerra

M: S Hill – Mundy – B Hill

HF: Langdon - Hogan – Walters

FF: Lobb – Taberner – Colyer

R: Sandilands – Fyfe - Blakely

I/C: Brayshaw – Banfield – Cox – Conca

Reserves:

FB: Duman - Kersten - Tucker

HB: Hughes - Cox - Nyhuis

M: Crowden – Valente – Giro

HF: Switkowski - McCarthy - Bennell

FF: Ballantyne - Dixon - Matera

R: Darcy – North - Bewley

I/C: Meek – Sturt – Schultz - Carter

E: Jones - Watson

I hope Ross stays on the youth path I have included current ages with that in mind and I cant believe im gonna say this perhaps mundys spot is in the most danger as a mid forward.

He's looking like a grandpa in your side there, but Mundy plays any time he wants to. He has so much versatility and leadership about him.

Sturt will need to demonstrate his fitness before he gets the nod, but Shultz or Bewley could get a run before him.

would think Mundy plays on the basis that there's really not much experience around him. We can afford to have 1/2 guys still in the 22 that wont be there next year as im sure injuries and etc will allow others to play senior footy regardless. Out of that lot I'd guess the guys under most pressure to perform are Switowski and Banfield, Sturt and Valente will probably be given time as high draft picks (much like Brayshaw and Cerra were last year.) Wouldn't be opposed to putting them in the twos for a while though and making them force their way in either, theres less 'free' spots to hand out now and guys like North shouldnt suffer out of gifting Valente games.

Yeah I see your point.
Leaderships important look at hodge and Brisbane their backline concedes something like 12 few points this year and only one loss above 50 points.

Round 1 side.

Logue - Hamling - Ryan
Wilson - APearce - S Hill
Langdon - Mundy - B Hill
Walters - Hogan - Coyler
Ballas - Taberner - Lobb

Sandi - Fyfe - Blakely

Cerra - Brayshaw - Duman - Conca

- Ballas will play round 1 if he's fit. Let's not kid ourselves.
- All the new recruits will be in if fit.
- I went Tabs over Cox - Will be happy with either getting the gig. Both obviously play if Hogan isn't fit come Rnd 1.

Depth

Backline: Nyhuis - Hughes - Kersten

Midfield: Banfield - Tucker - Bennell? - Crowden - North - Giro - Valente - Bewley

Fwd line: Cox - McCarthy - Matera - Switta - Dixon - Sturt - Schultz

Ruck: Darcy - Meek - Jones

Look at how much better out depth is? Last year our depth was mainly a bunch of 1st year players, now our depth is 2nd-4th year players, most of them have had multiple preseasons and at the very least 15+ games.

Last edited:
would think Mundy plays on the basis that there's really not much experience around him. We can afford to have 1/2 guys still in the 22 that wont be there next year as im sure injuries and etc will allow others to play senior footy regardless. Out of that lot I'd guess the guys under most pressure to perform are Switowski and Banfield, Sturt and Valente will probably be given time as high draft picks (much like Brayshaw and Cerra were last year.) Wouldn't be opposed to putting them in the twos for a while though and making them force their way in either, theres less 'free' spots to hand out now and guys like North shouldnt suffer out of gifting Valente games.
You could see some of the young players declining by seasons end. I would quite like to see a bit of cycling players through the senior side, then dropping back for a refresh. There would be value in getting some games into Meek or Sturt for example, but I wouldn't be expecting them to sustain a huge run of games.

In the past Lyon has tended to have locked in his best 22 then run with that with minimal changes/ This has been especially true when his sides have been in finals mode. That is not where we are at in terms of list development, and anyway is a limited strategy. We need to be providing opportunities, and I am sure we will.

You could see some of the young players declining by seasons end. I would quite like to see a bit of cycling players through the senior side, then dropping back for a refresh. There would be value in getting some games into Meek or Sturt for example, but I wouldn't be expecting them to sustain a huge run of games.

In the past Lyon has tended to have locked in his best 22 then run with that with minimal changes/ This has been especially true when his sides have been in finals mode. That is not where we are at in terms of list development, and anyway is a limited strategy. We need to be providing opportunities, and I am sure we will.

I personally hope Lyon can learn from some of the other codes and take more of a squad approach to selection rather than a locked in B22 until injured.

Cant help think Begley will be a great addition. Kicking into forward fifty is our greatest weaknesses now that we have marking targets. He seems pretty close to the best player outside the afl system at that last year. Could see him playing very early and keeping his place.

B: Logue Hamling Wilson
HB: Cerra A.Perace Ryan
C: S.Hill Blakely B.Hill
HF: Langdon Tabs Walters
FF: Lobb Hogan Colyer
R: Sandy Fyfe Brayshaw

I/C Bewley, Mundy, Conca, Matera

Bennell in for Matera if he gets some games together.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth.
Would love to see Sturt and Schultz earn their way in for some extra forward line class.

Firsts:

Reserves:

Great effort. You do have Cox twice.
Rather than team and reserves. Ill put my two cents in and say what the dream situation is and we have evryone available at some point in the year. Included the one player that will be an emergency. to make it a possible, but obviously unlikely event. I know obviously Bewley is no certainty, but its a hypothetical team and I like what he can potentially add.
Freo
FF: Lobb Hogan Bennell

I/C Bewley, Mundy, Conca, Colyer
Gameday emergency: Matera

Peel
B: Nyhuis Kersten Tucker
HB: Hughes Watson Duman
C: Giro Banfield Crowden
R: Darcy North Vallente
HF: Swita Cox* Sturt
FF: Dixon McCarthy Schultz
I/C Carter, Meek, Balla, Howlett or best peel midsized player
You cant play Meek, Darcy and Jones in the same team in practical terms.
Emergency Jones

*Cox to switch between forward and back. Backline is a bit small without him.

Last edited:
Great effort. You do have Cox twice.
Rather than team and reserves. Ill put my two cents in and say what the dream situation is and we have evryone available at some point in the year. Included the one player that will be an emergency. to make it a possible, but obviously unlikely event. I know obviously Bewley is no certainty, but its a hypothetical team and I like what he can potentially add.
Freo
FF: Lobb Hogan Bennell

I/C Bewley, Mundy, Conca, Colyer
Gameday emergency: Matera

Peel
B: Nyhuis Kersten Tucker
HB: Hughes Watson Duman
C: Giro Banfield Crowden
R: Darcy North Vallente
HF: Swita Cox* Sturt
FF: Dixon McCarthy Schultz
I/C Carter, Meek, Balla, Howlett or best peel midsized player
You cant play Meek, Darcy and Jones in the same team in practical terms.
Emergency Jones

*Cox to switch between forward and back. Backline is a bit small without him.
I am with you on Bewley.

Forward looks strong, and mid looks reasonable for Peel, but a bit wobbly in key defence. An indication of what happens next trade/draft season?

Wouldn't normally have a small forward as Emergency for the best 22, and would look at the likes of Tucker to take that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've watched plenty of Peel games live

Switta is well overated. He was just average last season and he hardly played for Freo or did thar much.

Matera did nothing all season.

They aren't best 22 so your team is weaker than it should be
No drama. But disagree completely. Matera has a history of kicking goals from roving off packs. He had no one who consistently brought the ball to the ground once Tabs got injured. When Tabs was in the team he looked much better.With Hogan, Lobb and Tabs he cold improve a lot. If he played like he did before Tabs got injured last year he would at worst be a marginal in or out of the best 22. If Bennell comes back then he is probably not in it. But if he gets back to his best he will add value to our forward group considerably.

Definitely like Swita and im saying he is a potential surprise packet (not in my team after draft so saying he could play a role only)t. Far from a certainty but I thought he showed more promise then you are giving him credit for by a long way. Is also one of the strongest pound for pound players in the squad.

Last edited:
No drama. But disagree completely. Matera has a history of kicking goals from roving off packs. He had no one who consistently brought the ball to the ground once Tabs got injured. When Tabs was in the team he looked much better.With Hogan, Lobb and Tabs he cold improve a lot. If he played like he did before Tabs got injured last year he would at worst be a marginal in or out of the best 22. If Bennell comes back then he is probably not in it. But if he gets back to his best he will add value to our forward group considerably.

Definitely like Swita and im saying he is a potential surprise packet (not in my team after draft so saying he could play a role only)t. Far from a certainty but I thought he showed more promise then you are giving him credit for by a long way. Is also one of the strongest pound for pound players in the squad.

Maters did nothing last season. If Freo are to move forward he needs to actually play decent footy or move on

Switta played bog average for Peel so don't know how he's going to be a surprise packet based on dem feels

It’s way too early and too hard to predict a B22 or round 1 team or end of year B22, but I’ll have a crack at our round 1 team vs Roos.

Thinking we’ll give the old boys a chance (as always) - Ballas, Mundy, Sandi. Personally, only Sandi is B22 for mine. But Ballas did kick 4 snags last game and could thrive in a revamped forward line whilst providing experience. Mundy is a soldier, but his lack of pace is a liability now. Could maybe, potentially, possibly play inside mid but it still gets exposed on transition. Anyway, they’ll all play round 1 if available.

Let’s assume the Traded targets are B22 - because we don’t trade for depth or whatever (not sure Colyer is B22, but I’ll name him based on Ross’ comments).

So with the old heads and new trade targets, I find it hard to squeeze Valente or Bewley into team. So I think they’ll start at Peel and be in the team after our first loss.

Leaves my round 1 team looking something like this;

Duman Hamling Logue
Ryan AP Wilson
BHill Fyfe Langdon
Walters Hogan Schultz
Ballas Tabs Lobb
Sandi Mundy SHill

Cerra Brayshaw Colyer Conca

COMMENTS
DEF: Pretty settled I reckon. Duman looked great late last year. Logue as third tall to play on Wood.

FWD: McCarthy will probably take Schultz place but thinking we might send Cam a message by starting at Peel. Sturt will take some time to develop his body.

MID: Langdon started to get plenty of it, and will be kept honest by Tucker and Bewley pushing for a wing position, both with better kicking. Hoping Bewley makes this spot his own.

Mundy is too slow for mine and hopefully will be transitioned out as Cerra and Brayshaw mature. Even Conca could be a handy replacement to provide some defensive coverage on transition. The other bloke who keeps getting overlooked in these B22s is Banfield (played 20 games) - could be a decent inside mid, but his kicking isn’t great - will we play a tagger again? Probably.

INJURIES
Bennell is a walk up start if fit. North’s first year was hampered by injuries but is looking good on the track. Could push for a spot later in the year?

It’s hard to pick a B22, not because we have too many good players, but because there are lots of young/unknowns still. Hopefully we rotate some through the team to actually see what they offer, and make list/contract calls accordingly.

My 2 cents worth.

Firsts:

Reserves:

Ryan Nyhuis will definitly be in the best 22 before Logue!

Langdon's ability to spread is Brad Hill elite like, plus his defensive game is quite strong. Ross loved positioning him on the fat side of the ground. Once our backline got the ball Langdon really helped in providing us an option on the switch.

Langdon and BHill's gut running is one of the reasons we've become much better at moving the ball out of the backline. Both boys finishing high in the Doig in the last two seasons shows how highly the coaches rate this.

But as much as Langdon's gut running has helped us get out of the backline, his kicking into the F50 hasn't been spectacular... it's definitely his biggest weakness.

In saying that though, if he did have a laser boot to go with everything else he does he'd probably be racking up 20+ brownlow votes along with his Doig votes.

If Tucker or Bewley are able to offer that gut running/positioning and offer some sweet field kicking aswell I think they could really put some pressure on Langdon's spot. At the very least we have some solid options if either BHill or Langdon get injured.

Hopefully the difference between Langdon's home and away form lessens and he builds of that consistency. He still has tonnes of improvement left in him.

Maters did nothing last season. If Freo are to move forward he needs to actually play decent footy or move on

Switta played bog average for Peel so don't know how he's going to be a surprise packet based on dem feels
Its not feels. Rubbish its a fact Matera was terrible. That your opinion. Not fact. He showed promise when he had a big forward to rove to. Even on BF most was happy with his output early on to mid season. His whole career from even his junior days his main strength has been roving goals off marking contests. Which is hard to do when your forward line is constantly outnumbered and outmarked. Its not feels that he did well roving to Lynch and Wight in a forward role at GC in 2017. I can see potential to recapture that form wth Hogan and Lobb. But I have him as the 22nd or 23 rd player in line, so hardly a certainty.

Again no drama, but geez you can take your view as gospel sometimes.

Swita looked good in his last game at AFL level and was coming back from multiple injury setbacks. His form at Peel definitely improved as he gained match fitness. If you thought he was terrible at Peel, there are plenty who said otherwise in the match reports. I also saw him a handful of times on tv and once live, but in those games I liked what I saw.
All I said was he could be a surprise packet. He has some tremendous physical attributes to work with in my view.

Its not feels. Rubbish its a fact Matera was terrible. That your opinion. Not fact. He showed promise when he had a big forward to rove to. Even on BF most was happy with his output early on to mid season. His whole career from even his junior days his main strength has been roving goals off marking contests. Which is hard to do when your forward line is constantly outnumbered and outmarked. Its not feels that he did well roving to Lynch and Wight in a forward role at GC in 2017. I can see potential to recapture that form wth Hogan and Lobb. But I have him as the 22nd or 23 rd player in line, so hardly a certainty.

Again no drama, but geez you can take your view as gospel sometimes.

Swita looked good in his last game at AFL level and was coming back from multiple injury setbacks. His form at Peel definitely improved as he gained match fitness. If you thought he was terrible at Peel, there are plenty who said otherwise in the match reports. I also saw him a handful of times on tv and once live, but in those games I liked what I saw.
All I said was he could be a surprise packet. He has some tremendous physical attributes to work with in my view.

Not rubbish at all

When did Matera stand up in games when the chips were down? He didn't

Why did Ross drop him? He was underperforming

If you take your Freo glasses off then you would see. He's a c grade performer at best. His best game was against Carlton when we were flogging them away.

I said he was average at Peel not terrible. Switta was ok in his 1 AFL game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back