2022 Carji Greeves Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a copycat league they say... and this year its the cats they are looking to see if they can copy. The tactical advantage Blitz gives us will be very hard to copy.

Been so consistent for so long... for a guys who I though might not play a game...has become a champ. Would have to at least be in the discussion for the capt. role

I’ve been back and forth and done a full 360 on Blicavs over the journey to date; very positive and a staunch defender of his early on but I grew increasingly frustrated with his slow decision making and ball use by foot.
I thought he played a lot freer this season, and regularly trusted his handy opposite (left) foot to good effect.
I actually voted for Blicavs in the current ‘next Captain’ poll ..

I’ve been back and forth and done a full 360 on Blicavs over the journey to date; very positive and a staunch defender of his early on but I grew increasingly frustrated with his slow decision making and ball use by foot.
I thought he played a lot freer this season, and regularly trusted his handy opposite (left) foot to good effect.
I actually voted for Blicavs in the current ‘next Captain’ poll ..

different skill set down back and forward and on ball. I think he is at his best in his current role.

I've always valued Duncan as being half a level higher.

Interesting - and you still do?

Guthrie obviously ahead in terms of awards, but I find them really hard to split.

Guthrie a little more contested, Duncan a little more outside.

Give the nod to Duncan for his ball use, but I rate Guthrie’s kicking pretty highly too.

Interesting - and you still do?

Guthrie obviously ahead in terms of awards, but I find them really hard to split.

Guthrie a little more contested, Duncan a little more outside.

Give the nod to Duncan for his ball use, but I rate Guthrie’s kicking pretty highly too.

I still rate Duncan over Guthrie

There are more Guthries then there are Duncans

Re Cam Guthrie - the discussion - there was 1 poster - who was relentless in bagging him - must have posted 200-300 times re doing that

You think of Guthrie on the hbf - in the 13 PF - kicked that running goal after a couple of bounces in the 3qtr - so he allways had talent - creative talent

Guthrie - the bottom line - when Tim Kelly played the 2 years with the Cats - Guthries position was basically like a Rugby league 2nd rower - totally defensive and negative - block and tackle

Then Kelly departed - then Guthries role became a creative midfielder - and he has blossomed in that role

Id love to know Cams average kicks and handpasses per game in the 2 years that T Kelly played compared to his 2 B/F years after Kelly had departed- i think it would be chalk and cheese - thats why some of the criticism back then was probably warranted .

Re Jeremy - one thing that really impresses me - is his set shot kicking action for goal . He reminds me of Royce Hart ( Chamion Rich CHF - and also a left foot kick _ . They are a picture of total concentration - head over the ball - and they carefully guide the ball onto the boot - thats why they kick so straight

You contrast that to someone like Bartel - 99.7% of the time when he had a set shot for goal - he would be continually spinning the ball in his hands - even in his run up - trying to get the right grip - the odds of that ball going straight are much much lower than someone with Camerons technique

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont understand whay you mean - he was about 33-34 when he lesft Geel - then took the West Perth Capt/Coach role and won a couple of flags with them
No my bad. I was referring to the knee injury that saw him miss most of the 62 season. Got my wires crossed thinking the knee injury happened later and that was what made him give up VFL. Carry on....

Re Cam Guthrie - the discussion - there was 1 poster - who was relentless in bagging him - must have posted 200-300 times re doing that

You think of Guthrie on the hbf - in the 13 PF - kicked that running goal after a couple of bounces in the 3qtr - so he allways had talent - creative talent

Guthrie - the bottom line - when Tim Kelly played the 2 years with the Cats - Guthries position was basically like a Rugby league 2nd rower - totally defensive and negative - block and tackle

Then Kelly departed - then Guthries role became a creative midfielder - and he has blossomed in that role

Id love to know Cams average kicks and handpasses per game in the 2 years that T Kelly played compared to his 2 B/F years after Kelly had departed- i think it would be chalk and cheese - thats why some of the criticism back then was probably warranted .

Re Jeremy - one thing that really impresses me - is his set shot kicking action for goal . He reminds me of Royce Hart ( Chamion Rich CHF - and also a left foot kick _ . They are a picture of total concentration - head over the ball - and they carefully guide the ball onto the boot - thats why they kick so straight

You contrast that to someone like Bartel - 99.7% of the time when he had a set shot for goal - he would be continually spinning the ball in his hands - even in his run up - trying to get the right grip - the odds of that ball going straight are much much lower than someone with Camerons technique

It’s all very deliberate right down to compressing the ball to put it in better shape. I’ve noticed most of his teammates are doing that frequently now.

Watching Hawkins in the finals - he really could have had one of the all time finals series if he’d kicked straight in the prelim and GF, he had 16 shots combined across both games I think - it looked like he wasn’t trusting his natural left to right. He seemed to be missing right a bit having started at centre or a bit right. He wasn’t shanking them by any means it just looked like he wasn’t trusting of his normal shape

It’s all very deliberate right down to compressing the ball to put it in better shape. I’ve noticed most of his teammates are doing that frequently now.

Watching Hawkins in the finals - he really could have had one of the all time finals series if he’d kicked straight in the prelim and GF, he had 16 shots combined across both games I think - it looked like he wasn’t trusting his natural left to right. He seemed to be missing right a bit having started at centre or a bit right. He wasn’t shanking them by any means it just looked like he wasn’t trusting of his normal shape
I think the wind may have been a factor in the Grand Final, but PF he was leaning back as/after he kicked those behinds in the second quarter.

So true about Jezza - very old fashioned but he has a strong reliable technique/routine for kicking at goal.

This is interesting - always wondered why he did it. Noticed that Joel took to doing it every time too. I wanted the premiership poster / cartoon to be a cat compressing the ends of the ball. Alas.

Guthrie winning surprises me a little bit. I don't think he has been as good this year compared to the last couple. I suppose our bests could have been team effort most weeks though with no standout player.
The complete opposite for me this year he dropped the dinky little run around the back one two cheapies got forward of the ball created options going forward and kicked a few goals over all by doing that most of his stats decreased but he became a better player far more dangerous and it's payed off with the 2022 Carji and well deserved.

Club has turned it into another easy cash grab rather than letting paid up members watch the stream, pretty piss poor if you ask me but it is what it is.
I live in Sydney and have to fully paid memberships including Social Club. This was really crap.

Club needs to realise that GFC fans can't all just jump in the car and drive to Crown

The complete opposite for me this year he dropped the dinky little run around the back one two cheapies got forward of the ball created options going forward and kicked a few goals over all by doing that most of his stats decreased but he became a better player far more dangerous and it's payed off with the 2022 Carji and well deserved.

While I don’t disagree with some of the points you make, I never understand why anyone makes pointed reference to ‘cheap give and go’ handballs.

The whole point of them is that the giver makes himself harder to tackle for the opposition (you know, because he’s no longer in possession).

He finds a teammate who is free and can’t get tackled because of that isolation, but he is also stationary so in no position to get and go. The giver continues his momentum and runs, receives the ball back again usually free of attention from the opposition, and advances the ball upfield with less pressure and as a result, usually more precision.

When you get a handful of players doing this together in sync, you can advance the ball half the length of the field in the blink of an eye without ever risking possession.

While I don’t disagree with some of the points you make, I never understand why anyone makes pointed reference to ‘cheap give and go’ handballs.

The whole point of them is that the giver makes himself harder to tackle for the opposition (you know, because he’s no longer in possession).

He finds a teammate who is free and can’t get tackled because of that isolation, but he is also stationary so in no position to get and go. The giver continues his momentum and runs, receives the ball back again usually free of attention from the opposition, and advances the ball upfield with less pressure and as a result, usually more precision.

When you get a handful of players doing this together in sync, you can advance the ball half the length of the field in the blink of an eye without ever risking possession.
You can even win a couple of Brownlows doing it all the time, witness Robert Harvey

I remember Brereton's suggestion for stopping him - let him do the "give", but belt him before the "and get".

In the same way that I have a real spot of pity for Peter Riccardi retiring just before our golden era you’d have to wonder if Harvey could have held on for one more year if it would have been enough for st Kilda to win in 2009. He was still getting 21 touches a game and he was a beautiful user by foot - something they lacked in that epic grand final against us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back