2023 AFL Fixture is in

Remove this Banner Ad

That was on the back of the 2012 GF loss spurred on by Buddy's deflection which created a modern day rivalry and always drew a crowd. I believe that rivalry has fizzled out now.

Yep. Buddy was part as you say, but it was mostly two contenders going at it for a number of years.

Sydney wouldn't in the slightest consider us a rival anymore.

I'm fine with the draw TBH, I'm a realist given were we are at. Our time will come again, with a new modern rival probably.

My only annoyance is we don't play the bombers twice. I think that's really our most long-standing rivalry and we're at a very similar stage of development. Both sets of fans would expect a win, and be gutted by a loss.

Yep. Buddy was part as you say, but it was mostly two contenders going at it for a number of years.

Sydney wouldn't in the slightest consider us a rival anymore.

I'm fine with the draw TBH, I'm a realist given were we are at. Our time will come again, with a new modern rival probably.

My only annoyance is we don't play the bombers twice. I think that's really our most long-standing rivalry and we're at a very similar stage of development. Both sets of fans would expect a win, and be gutted by a loss.
Our draw is a little disappointing but we are such a work in progress. I personally look forward to us being a fully invested Melbourne Club. New facility , the envy of the Competition and a team on the rise and we’ll be back in vogue.. Until then cash in on the Tassie deal, grow our list and take our medicine..Ride the bumps with a grin.. How fitting that is right now with where we’re at..

Is it time we cut the Tassie deal and bring back 11 designated home games for our Melbourne members?

I’m sure we’ll find a new sponsor to cover the cost of the Tasmanian sponsorship.

The real question is out of the near 10,000 Tassie members, how many will continue to be a member?
There will be a loss of members for sure, as we have a number of people who sit around us at Launceston games who buy reserved seats as "Hawthorn Members", but actually support other clubs. They just like going and watching AFL live.

Personally, my family of 4 have a reserved seat membership at both Launceston & MCG, so we will still be members but just MCG members. Not sure how that affects the official membership numbers though?

Tassie kids who grew up during the hawk years may well have moved to Melbourne to establish careers

Tassie demographics disagree with you there. Pretty much the opposite these days - plenty of young kinds moved back and cashed in the equity on their homes in Melbourne and Sydney and are enjoying the cheaper lifestyle down south. Tassie is one of the couple of states benefitting from a positive inflow of people from NSW and Vic.

Been a member since 1974 and signed up my family as they came along.

Have been drifting from AFL for several years. Used to watch nearly every game but now just the Hawks and even some of those games have been challenging to get through. Turned off the telly at quarter time for a few.

I'm a big fan of Sam Mitchell having watched his career from Box Hill days. One of my boys modelled his game on Sam's but he, too, has lost interest in AFL. Hoping Sam's brand of footy rekindles my interest. Used to love going to games with my family.

My interest is at an all time low also. I will always purchase a Hawthorn membership but the game doesn’t captivate me the way it once did.

My kids all grew up in qld, and not a one has ever even picked an nrl team (they are in their 20s) they still live here in qld, and could not care less about NRL. Never watched a state of origin game. only afl in the house, so it's possible your kids will come out unscathed.
I wish it was that easy. My wife is a Queenslander and follows the Bronco's and it's rubbed off on my 9 year old son. In the space of a few years he's been to more Bronco's games then he has Hawthorn games in his whole life!

lovely question to Board re our atrocious fixture and no Friday or Thursday night games

the board is on notice going forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draw is pretty stinks to high heaven and is a slap in the face.

However win games, run a good club and manage media with the right intent and we will force a better draw.

What was the response?
Is the agm up on the website

It should be and it was second last of 5 questions

Jeff answered poorly and made excuses …he didn’t allow the question person to re butt his excuses re fixture

Going forward the board is on notice we won’t be treated as fourth class citizens from afl re fixturing as it jeopardises our potential growth

It's a load of crap for the AFL to say you finished 13th so no Friday night games. Plenty of bottom 6 teams get Friday night games. Despite a bad run with injury we had a chance to win most games we played last year.
The AFL want attacking footy and under Sam we play that way. Hawthorn v Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood or Richmond on a Friday night would rate a lot higher than most of the Friday games they have scheduled.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back