Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Farrar was really good in the practice match.

Didn’t make a mistake.
Able to win the ball on 50/50

Think he’ll become 100% solidified into the best 22 this year.

I'm also a Farrar advocate. He's a lock for me. He’s athletic and can cover talls and smalls.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, I have Farrar as definitely best 22. One of our only defenders willing to take the game on but actually make good decisions and hit the attacking kicks at the end of it (while Weller and Powell are out at least).

Most importantly, he seems very coachable. Give him a role and you know he will give 100% and not take a backwards step, whether it’s a lockdown role on a tall or small or an attacking role.

I could even see him going to Buddy for small minutes when he pushes up the ground, leaving Collins and Ballard open to mop up. Controversial I know.

With Weller, Powell and Buddhas still out, Farrar, Long and Constable are our best options to kick out of defence. DMac is a definite no. Charlie, Sam Collins and Crab just average kicks.

With Weller, Powell and Buddhas still out, Farrar, Long and Constable are our best options to kick out of defence. DMac is a definite no. Charlie, Sam Collins and Crab just average kicks.
Yeah one limitation is the skill of some of our defenders.

Last year you think about someone like Collingwood that had Daicos, Maynard, Moore, Noble who are all good kicks in defence.

Compared with our defenders, it's a big difference.

Graham, Ballard, Lemmens are pretty limited
I actually think that Collins is a decent kick.
Constable will be solid without being damaging.
Farrar and Long probably can be above average.
Still need Weller and Powell in the mix for really good kicks to create things coming out of the back.

Yeah one limitation is the skill of some of our defenders.

Last year you think about someone like Collingwood that had Daicos, Maynard, Moore, Noble who are all good kicks in defence.

Compared with our defenders, it's a big difference.

Graham, Ballard, Lemmens are pretty limited
I actually think that Collins is a decent kick.
Constable will be solid without being damaging.
Farrar and Long probably can be above average.
Still need Weller and Powell in the mix for really good kicks to create things coming out of the back.
Yeah Collo is a decent kick over short distances, Charlie has improved in that he’s reduced his shockers like kicking the ground instead of the ball, but Weller and Powelly are a level up. We need them back into the lineup ASAP. I was impressed with Constable. He delivered a couple of beautiful passes spotting out a teammate in traffic and hitting them lace out. Definitely a better kick than Bowes.

Yeah Collo is a decent kick over short distances, Charlie has improved in that he’s reduced his shockers like kicking the ground instead of the ball, but Weller and Powelly are a level up. We need them back into the lineup ASAP. I was impressed with Constable. He delivered a couple of beautiful passes spotting out a teammate in traffic and hitting them lace out. Definitely a better kick than Bowes.
I can see Constable being a safe and reliable kick. Might not hit bullets at hard angles, but I’ll take safe and consistent.

7 rounds in.

Do we have any more clarity around what our best 22 is?
Going off performances so far would have to say something like the below.

FB: Macpherson - Collins - Lemmens
HB: Powell - Ballard - Long
C: Weller - Miller - Ellis
HF: Ainsworth - Chol - Lukosius
FF: Swallow - King - Holman

R: Witts - Anderson - Rowell

I: Fiorini - Humphrey - Casboult - Flanders - Rosas

It’s ok. But there are lots of mature players (24 and older) that are just ‘alright’ Long, Fiorini, Lemmens, Swallow, Chol etc.. In addition to Atkins and Sexton who have played at times.

We’ll no doubt be playing these older guys regularly during the year.

I just get the feeling that talented youngsters are somewhat ‘stuck’ behind average mature aged guys.

I do want guys like Davies, Humphrey, Andrew, Uwland, Hollands, Jeffrey and Budarick when back to get plenty of games this year.

It’s a little hard to see how they all fit in without injuries..

7 rounds in.

Do we have any more clarity around what our best 22 is?
Going off performances so far would have to say something like the below.

FB: Macpherson - Collins - Lemmens
HB: Powell - Ballard - Long
C: Weller - Miller - Ellis
HF: Ainsworth - Chol - Lukosius
FF: Swallow - King - Holman

R: Witts - Anderson - Rowell

I: Fiorini - Humphrey - Casboult - Flanders - Rosas

It’s ok. But there are lots of mature players (24 and older) that are just ‘alright’ Long, Fiorini, Lemmens, Swallow, Chol etc.. In addition to Atkins and Sexton who have played at times.

We’ll no doubt be playing these older guys regularly during the year.

I just get the feeling that talented youngsters are somewhat ‘stuck’ behind average mature aged guys.

I do want guys like Davies, Humphrey, Andrew, Uwland, Hollands, Jeffrey and Budarick when back to get plenty of games this year.

It’s a little hard to see how they all fit in without injuries..
Long and Chol have been huge disappointments so far this year ,lucky to be getting games.
Not sure Flanders has any Xfactor to get a regular game.
Agree on the young blokes ,hope a couple can step up sooner rather than later.

Long and Chol have been huge disappointments so far this year ,lucky to be getting games.
Not sure Flanders has any Xfactor to get a regular game.
Agree on the young blokes ,hope a couple can step up sooner rather than later.
Not sure what we really expected of Long. Had hardly played as a back flanker before recruiting him.

Had a good half a season in ?2019 where he averaged about 19 possessions over a 10 game period and then played that last game of 2022 where he dominated aerially.

He’s shown a few flashes and made a few mistakes. I don’t think he’s been particularly good so far. But would say he’s only had 1 or 2 poor games. He’ll build into it as he gets more familiar with the role and his team mates.

Chol on the other hand. Very disappointing. And even more so because it was somewhat predictable.

I’ve got a few doubts about Flanders aswell. In the practice games he seemed to hit up and get a lot of little chip kick possessions. Take 5-6 seconds before chipping it on to the next short target. I think that play is a bit self serving - building the stats etc.. but we’ve seen that kind of play is detrimental to fast ball movement and actually scoring.

He’s out of contract and will be 22 end of year. Need to know whether he’s a player we can expect to contribute or will he become an average player on the fringe blocking other youngsters coming through.

Last edited:
Not sure what we really expected of Long. Had hardly played as a back flanker before recruiting him.

Had a good half a season in ?2019 where he averaged about 19 possessions over a 10 game period and then played that last game of 2022 where he dominated aerially.

He’s shown a few flashes and made a few mistakes. I don’t think he’s been particularly good so far. But would say he’s only had 1 or 2 poor games. He’ll build into it as he gets more familiar with the role and his team mates.

Chol on the other hand. Very disappointing. And even more so because it was somewhat predictable.

I’ve got a few doubts about Flanders aswell. In the practice games he seemed to hit up and get a lot of little chip kick possessions. Take 5-6 seconds before chipping it on to the next short target. I think that play is a bit self serving - building the stats etc.. but we’ve seen that kind of play is detrimental to fast ball movement and actually scoring.

He’s out of contract and will be 22 end of year. Need to know whether he’s a player we can expect to contribute or will he become an average player on the fringe blocking other youngsters coming through.
I'm giving Long some time to adjust to a new team. Needs some chemistry, there was a contest where he punched an easy Powell chest mark in the pocket and Wil was extremely disappointed.

He hasn't done too much thats made me go wow, he's shirked a few contests, think one on Soldo? yeah he's bigger but you can't let an opposition player mark it uncontested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back