Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t mind him playing a few VFL matches (Ben King style) first. Not everyone needs to be a Rowell or Anderson type.

But he could definitely be one to take Holman’s spot. Or the “empty” spot left by Rankine.
Not everyone, no. But Humphrey is one, I don't like the idea of protecting him, he doesn't need it, we need to unleash him.

Humphrey looked promising against Essendon. He has some great traits - tough, good decisions, clean, explosiveness. He should be a perfect complement for our team. But he is still first year kid, who probably does 70% loading, had pre-season affected by knee niggles. He will play no doubt this year, but he needs to be managed. It's a long season. Our season success does not depend on him.

Holman is not a wingman. Practice is a place to try different roles, strategies, what teams worked on. I could see he played on wing to give Berry opportunity to play pressure forward. I liked Berry's pressure but that's probably all I saw from him so far (including Lions games). He never seems to score, does not have a good kick, barely touches the ball. Holman over Berry in forward line every time for me.

I can't see Constable replacing Lemmens for round 1. For sure, he looks like a better ball user (who does not) but is nowhere near Lemmens as far as defending and speed.

Round 2 game at Marvel against Essendon will be interesting. Not overly optimistic for that one. Essendon style (speed, quick ball chains, rebound) does not suit us, and Draper usually gets better of Witts.

GWS practice game could be a bit more telling but still it's just a pre-season, means nothing. My guess only 25-27 players will rotate, the rest will enjoy VFL practice as curtain raiser.

I am a bit worried about Miller not being ready round 1. That strapping on his thigh does not make sense a week after supposedly low-level hamstring injury. Ellis could be doubtful too.

It was reported that Hickey is out for first several rounds, Blakey also doubtful after bout of glandular fever.

Humphrey looked promising against Essendon. He has some great traits - tough, good decisions, clean, explosiveness. He should be a perfect complement for our team. But he is still first year kid, who probably does 70% loading, had pre-season affected by knee niggles. He will play no doubt this year, but he needs to be managed. It's a long season. Our season success does not depend on him.

Holman is not a wingman. Practice is a place to try different roles, strategies, what teams worked on. I could see he played on wing to give Berry opportunity to play pressure forward. I liked Berry's pressure but that's probably all I saw from him so far (including Lions games). He never seems to score, does not have a good kick, barely touches the ball. Holman over Berry in forward line every time for me.

I can't see Constable replacing Lemmens for round 1. For sure, he looks like a better ball user (who does not) but is nowhere near Lemmens as far as defending and speed.

Round 2 game at Marvel against Essendon will be interesting. Not overly optimistic for that one. Essendon style (speed, quick ball chains, rebound) does not suit us, and Draper usually gets better of Witts.

GWS practice game could be a bit more telling but still it's just a pre-season, means nothing. My guess only 25-27 players will rotate, the rest will enjoy VFL practice as curtain raiser.

I am a bit worried about Miller not being ready round 1. That strapping on his thigh does not make sense a week after supposedly low-level hamstring injury. Ellis could be doubtful too.

It was reported that Hickey is out for first several rounds, Blakey also doubtful after bout of glandular fever.
Humphrey and Hollands could go 1, 2 in the rising star, he was a top 5 pick and already looks big out there. He is clearly a player, and if any knee niggles were really a concern, he wouldn't have played at all v essendon.

Look at what Collingwood did last year, the crows had to protect dangerfield by playing him fwd for the first couple of seasons of his career up forward but it was the same situation, he is too good for the b league

Humphrey and Hollands could go 1, 2 in the rising star, he was a top 5 pick and already looks big out there. He is clearly a player, and if any knee niggles were really a concern, he wouldn't have played at all v essendon.

Look at what Collingwood did last year, the crows had to protect dangerfield by playing him fwd for the first couple of seasons of his career up forward but it was the same situation, he is too good for the b league
You probably misunderstood. All I am saying Humphrey had interrupted pre-season (obviously is healthy now). He was not 4-5 years in the system. He will play but I would not unleash him in the middle, and we will probably have to rest/manage him. That forward mostly role is a good start. It will be interesting to see who will miss out round 1. Not easy to make best 22.

From what Dew has been saying lately, it sounds like he's planning on using the sub position to include one of our tall forwards in the team. So perhaps the idea is to have three tall forwards playing in the starting 18 with one on the interchange and then a guy like Jeffrey will be the sub? It also sounds like he wants Casboult to play with King to offer some protection so maybe that will force Luko to play higher/on the wing and Chol may find himself in the ruck a bit more.

So I'm guessing the plan right now will be to start the game with King, Luko and Casboult in the forward line, Chol on the interchange and Jeffrey as the sub. I really hope we can figure this out because it's potentially going to become even more complicated when we draft Walter at the end of this season 😅 I'd hate to lose any of these guys but I also know there's only so many tall guys you can rotate through a forward line before you start to go backwards.

Starting to think Graham might not be required vs swans round 1

Logan Mcdonald
Buddy
Resting Ruck/Ladhams

Think a Ballard or Farrar suit playing on a Buddy as clubs like to play more mobiles types on him and then Logan Mcdonald is a young KPF who isnt huge for the other. Ladhams is also slight aswell

Farrar - Collins - Long (Lemmens)
Weller - Ballard - Constable

Ellis - Touk - Hollands (Flanders)
Witts - Noah - Rowell (Swallow)

Lukoscius - King - Holman
Ainsworth - Chol - Jeffrey (Rosas)

Sub: Humphrey

Was there a reason Lemmens didnt play the other day?

Last edited:
From what Dew has been saying lately, it sounds like he's planning on using the sub position to include one of our tall forwards in the team. So perhaps the idea is to have three tall forwards playing in the starting 18 with one on the interchange and then a guy like Jeffrey will be the sub? It also sounds like he wants Casboult to play with King to offer some protection so maybe that will force Luko to play higher/on the wing and Chol may find himself in the ruck a bit more.

So I'm guessing the plan right now will be to start the game with King, Luko and Casboult in the forward line, Chol on the interchange and Jeffrey as the sub. I really hope we can figure this out because it's potentially going to become even more complicated when we draft Walter at the end of this season 😅 I'd hate to lose any of these guys but I also know there's only so many tall guys you can rotate through a forward line before you start to go backwards.
If Jeffrey can add pressure to his game, then it doesn’t matter. He’s 192, a handful of centimetres more than Holman or Hollands, so it’s not like Jeffrey is a lumbering giant who can’t chase or tackle... Otherwise he is just a taller Sexton.

I can see our future set-up being King, Chol and Walters as three talls (Chol being support ruck). That is completely viable.

It’s Luko that needs to impact the game or he is wasting a spot in the forward line and hurting our structure. For the record, I think he can do it, especially if he can play forward/wing.

Starting to think Graham might not be required vs swans round 1

Logan Mcdonald
Buddy
Resting Ruck/Ladhams

Think a Ballard or Farrar suit playing on a Buddy as clubs like to play more mobiles types on him and then Logan Mcdonald is a young KPF who isnt huge for the other. Ladhams is also slight aswell
I think Swans will also play Reid, who played yesterday. Usually, Collins plays on Buddy.

Last edited:
From what Dew has been saying lately, it sounds like he's planning on using the sub position to include one of our tall forwards in the team. So perhaps the idea is to have three tall forwards playing in the starting 18 with one on the interchange, and then a guy like Jeffrey will be the sub? It also sounds like he wants Casboult to play with King to offer some protection so maybe that will force Luko to play higher/on the wing and Chol may find himself in the ruck a bit more.

So I'm guessing the plan right now will be to start the game with King, Luko and Casboult in the forward line, Chol on the interchange and Jeffrey as the sub. I really hope we can figure this out because it's potentially going to become even more complicated when we draft Walter at the end of this season I'd hate to lose any of these guys but I also know there's only so many tall guys you can rotate through a forward line before you start to go backwards.

• I can’t see Jeffrey missing out on a starting position this season.
  • Casboult only has one season left in him, and Walter is a couple of years away from a starting position in the team.
  • I would like to see Casboult protecting King for a few matches and then moving down back and taking the 200cm forwards for the rest of the season or playing a utility role, plugging holes and exploiting the opposition's weaknesses.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree that Berry's pressure looked great and had a tackling presence in the forward 50.
But I can't even remember him having a single possession and as you mentioned hasn't shown much from an offensive sense in the Lions line up when playing AFL team.

His VFL stats show he can get his hands on it, also kicked 13.13 from 18 games playing as a midfielder - so I think it's within his capabilities in a small forward role. The good thing about having Blakely, Fiorini, Anderson etc.. he'll probably play predominantly as that small forward in the VFL team and can show if he can actually have some influence beyond just his tackling.

- Thomas Berry

I was reading Sydney forum.
Apparently Blakey played 1/2 game in their VFL practice, so I reckon he'll be ok for AFL in 3 weeks.
Tom Mccartin apparently did a hamstring though which is good news for us.

• Casboult only has one season left in him, and Walter is a couple of years away from a starting position in the team.
  • I would like to see Casboult protecting King for a few matches and then moving down back and taking the 200cm forwards for the rest of the season or playing a utility role, plugging holes and exploiting the opposition's weaknesses.
I really like what I saw from Jeffrey on Thursday but listening to Dew's recent pressers, he seems pretty keen to play Casboult as well as putting one of the talls in the sub position which makes me think Jeffrey might be the one that gets relegated to sub. I'd rather Jeffrey play tbh but I just can't see Dew choosing Luko or Chol to be the sub ahead of Jeffrey and King is obviously a lock.

People said the same about Casboult last year and that we'd only get one year out of him, he play the whole year in the VFL etc. I don't think we should prematurely retire a player one year out when he literally had his career best season last year. Let's see how Levi goes before we retire him, yeah?

Will Walter actually take several years though? It took Ben King 6 reserves games before he found his way into our best 22 and he hasn't been dropped since. Some players (even talls) are ready in their first year and having seen the size of Walter just the other day, I wouldn't be surprised if he debuts a lot earlier than you're thinking. The kid is a star.

I think King needs that protection, at least for a few games before he gets his confidence back. Maybe Casboult does find his way into our backline eventually. I'd certainly feel more comfortable with him down there than Caleb Graham.

Usually the sub is a smaller player who can create some run with fresh legs in the 2nd half. Think it's more likely we start tall and one gets subbed off later in the game. Davies/ sharp / fiorini maybe my picks for sub rd1.
I was a bit surprised when Humphrey played most of his time on ground as a mid against essendon, loved what he showed in the brief time there. Maybe against the giants we'll get to see what he offers as a forward and Flanders can play more in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think they will have all 5

But yeh Collins can play Buddy and theyre still fine for size without Graham i feel
Graham looked alright, dropped 2 sodas but had a booming kick on him, some diesel handballs and a heap of intercepting marks. Got Heeney down there as well, he might as well be considered a tall fwd

Once Jed Anderson is fit and ready to go, i can see him taking Holman's spot.

Wrecking ball but knows how to get the ball 20+ times, he's pretty motivated and if all works out for Jed, we can get his two sons in the academy system. Apparently jets.

Ainsworth, Anderson, Holman, Dmac, Humphrey, Davies, Berry, Flanders Rosas, only 2-4 fits max each week. Good problem to have

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Speaking to a cousin who is a Carlton supporter and they said Levi had to play back one year and he was very good. Just loves crashing packs.

Surely casboult is a significant upgrade on Graham in defence and solves the too many tall forward options, if he plays back. I also don't assume he'll only play one more year, if his form is good, he could play a few more.

Wrecking ball but knows how to get the ball 20+ times, he's pretty motivated and if all works out for Jed, we can get his two sons in the academy system. Apparently jets.
I think we saw on Thursday night that Ben Long's physicality was really making a difference for us and his skills were pretty good too. Add in Jed Anderson and we'll look a lot harder around the ball with those two in the team. Same can be said about Casboult last year. It was something we were missing and now we seem more equiped for the rough and tough stuff you need to be successful in the AFL.

That's very exciting to see Jed's two sons are guns. I believe his oldest is the same age as Kai Rischitelli and both will be eligible to join our U12s academy this year. I know people on here don't like it when I suggest this but I'm holding out hope that Jed can play 100 senior games for us so his two boys can be some of the first father-son picks for us along with Kai Rischitelli. Having said that, if they both join our academy and eventually end up living in Darwin after Jed's retirement then it probably won't make much of a difference of if Jed hits 100 games for us or not.

I think we saw on Thursday night that Ben Long's physicality was really making a difference for us and his skills were pretty good too. Add in Jed Anderson and we'll look a lot harder around the ball with those two in the team. Same can be said about Casboult last year. It was something we were missing and now we seem more equiped for the rough and tough stuff you need to be successful in the AFL.

That's very exciting to see Jed's two sons are guns. I believe his oldest is the same age as Kai Rischitelli and both will be eligible to join our U12s academy this year. I know people on here don't like it when I suggest this but I'm holding out hope that Jed can play 100 senior games for us so his two boys can be some of the first father-son picks for us along with Kai Rischitelli. Having said that, if they both join our academy and eventually end up living in Darwin after Jed's retirement then it probably won't make much of a difference of if Jed hits 100 games for us or not.
Jed Anderson is 29.
If he plays 100 games for the suns, I can only imagine something has not gone to plan over the next few years.

Ainsworth, Anderson, Holman, Dmac, Humphrey, Davies, Berry, Flanders Rosas, only 2-4 fits max each week. Good problem to have
Do you know anything more about this 'infection' problem he had over the off season?

If Jed Anderson plays 100 games for us I'll eat my hat. He'll be about 1000 years old.

Also he got 20 touches plus in the midfield. Not the forward line. He's very solid depth and not much more.

Jed Anderson is 29.
If he plays 100 games for the suns, I can only imagine something has not gone to plan over the next few years.
If Jed Anderson plays 100 games for us I'll eat my hat. He'll be about 1000 years old.
It can be done. Shaun Burgoyne was 28 in his first year at Hawthorn and he went on to play 250 games for the Hawks. I understand there's a big difference in the quality of the two players but it's not impossible. Also, we could be about to open a finals window that will add extra games to the best 22's total i.e. a few deep finals runs over the next 5 years and you've essentially got the equivalent of another season added to your tally. Burgoyne played 21 finals matches for Hawthorn so that's essentially another season added to his tally just purely because of his finals appearances with Hawthorn from 28 years of age onwards.

I think we can all agree we'd like to have access to his kids if they are jets. Look at the way Brisbane are really benefitting from their father-son access at the moment with the Ashcroft brothers and Jaspa Fletcher joining the ranks. We could very well find ourselves in a similar situation in about 10 years from now with Anderson Jr and Rischitelli Jr.

Last edited:
It can be done. Shaun Burgoyne was 28 in his first year at Hawthorn and he went on to play 250 games for the Hawks. I understand there's a big difference in the quality of the two players but it's not impossible. Also, we could be about to open a finals window that will add extra games to the best 22's total i.e. a few deep finals runs over the next 5 years and you've essentially got the equivalent of another season added to your tally. Burgoyne played 21 finals matches for Hawthorn so that's essentially another season added to his tally just purely because of his finals appearances with Hawthorn from 28 years of age onwards.

I think we can all agree we'd like to have access to his kids if they are jets. Look at the way Brisbane are really benefitting from their father-son access at the moment with the Ashcroft brothers and Jaspa Fletcher joining the ranks. We could very well find ourselves in a similar situation in about 10 years from now with Anderson Jr and Rischitelli Jr.
This level of optimism is something I'd love to experience one day but if we're being realistic Jed isn't anywhere near the calibre of talent Burgoyne was. Even if he was, the amount of games he played after 28 is a huge anomaly even for the most talented players.

Clutching at straws like I've never seen guys but if it makes you happy don't let me stop you.

Also he got 20 touches plus in the midfield. Not the forward line. He's very solid depth and not much more.
I said academy system (NT/QLD) not 100 father son games.

Jed been half forward/mid rotation his whole career

Jed Anderson is 29.

Do you know anything more about this 'infection' problem he had over the off season?

Not sure about infection but this was last week

I want Touk, Noah, Rowelly and Bear to have a baby together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back