No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFL Discussion - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laura Kane has been promoted to Executive General Manager of Football. I dont understand how someone who oversaw operations at North Melbourne during the time North dug themselves into a hole so deep they still havnt got out of, has earned that position, or is the best candidate for that position? She clearly made many mistakes and has handed out 3 years of free trade and draft compensation to try and fix things.

Today the AFL website has an article stating AFL house has just employed Geoff Walsh to work in its Football Department.
Walshs resume includes time at AFL VFL clubs - Fitzroy, Carlton, North Melbourne, Collingwood, back to North then back to Collingwood. He then joined St Kilda but only lasted a few months.
Walshs appointment follows the appointment of Mahoney as General Manager of Football Operations. Mahoney previously worked at Essendon and Melbourne

Something that stands out is the ZERO representation of ALL clubs outside of melbourne. Is this the boys club in full swing?
The other thing that stands out with Walsh (similar to Kane), is that..
Having only lasted a few months, Walsh failed at his last appointment with St Kilda.
His time at Collingwood prior to this was, when Collingwood made terrible contract calls resulting in salary cap enforced dumping of players like Grundy, Treloar etc. These poor list management decisions came from higher up than the list managers, ie. Walsh and co.
Prior to collingwood his time at North (along with Kane) set North up for multiple wooden spoons (and its not over yet).

How are these people who clearly failed in their previous rolls, the Best Person for the job?
Not exactly outstanding CVs.

I'd be happy with 5 on the bench. Makes life easier.

Alternatively, keep the sub. But if you make a tactical substitution, but then a player goes down with injury enable the player that was subbed off to come back on.

That way you resolve the issue of a team having an advantage on the bench in case of injury. But teams will still have 4 on the bench.

And if you cop 2 injuries it's just bad luck I guess.

Laura Kane has been promoted to Executive General Manager of Football. I dont understand how someone who oversaw operations at North Melbourne during the time North dug themselves into a hole so deep they still havnt got out of, has earned that position, or is the best candidate for that position? She clearly made many mistakes and has handed out 3 years of free trade and draft compensation to try and fix things.

Today the AFL website has an article stating AFL house has just employed Geoff Walsh to work in its Football Department.
Walshs resume includes time at AFL VFL clubs - Fitzroy, Carlton, North Melbourne, Collingwood, back to North then back to Collingwood. He then joined St Kilda but only lasted a few months.
Walshs appointment follows the appointment of Mahoney as General Manager of Football Operations. Mahoney previously worked at Essendon and Melbourne

Something that stands out is the ZERO representation of ALL clubs outside of melbourne. Is this the boys club in full swing?
Having only lasted a few months, Walsh failed at his last appointment with St Kilda.
His time at Collingwood prior to this was, when Collingwood made terrible contract calls resulting in salary cap enforced dumping of players like Grundy, Treloar etc. These poor list management decisions came from higher up than the list managers, ie. Walsh and co.
Prior to collingwood his time at North (along with Kane) set North up for multiple wooden spoons (and its not over yet).

How are these people who clearly failed in their previous rolls, the Best Person for the job?
Any skeletons in your closet !

There is no organisation in the world that replicates "The Boys Club" mentality more than the AFL.

Alternatively, keep the sub. But if you make a tactical substitution, but then a player goes down with injury enable the player that was subbed off to come back on.

That way you resolve the issue of a team having an advantage on the bench in case of injury. But teams will still have 4 on the bench.

And if you cop 2 injuries it's just bad luck I guess
We played the game for almost 100 years withy next to no substitutes, then they introduced the 19th & 20th man concept who could not be rotated. The interchange was then introduced and it worked fine until some bright spark said how you could be penalized if you copped an injury. Hence we introduced the sub. MY GOD!!!
Injuries are part of the game and if you cop one, so be it.
I suppose the next thing that will happen is they'll do away with the sub next year (thank goodness) and put 5 on the bench but then some coach will bitch and moan about being disadvantaged because someone got concussed.
Then they'll bring the sub back as the 24th player. :(

Jon Ralph reckons Ben King will re-sign with the Suns. If you're like me and recall the posturing from down south on 'oh we only have to wait a couple of years and then...' this is fantastic news for our game in the Northern States.

I heard that. Would love to beat them on their first home game:hearteyes:
Why do we get them unfurling their freaking flag? Was bad enough we had to go through that indignity last season and we get it again next season?
Bloody hell I hope we put on a better show this time around 😔

And if you cop 2 injuries it's just bad luck I guess.
Far too logical for the AFL - unless of course one of the Melbourne teams suggests it!

Epitome of failing upward.

The Peter or Dilbert's Principles. There is another phrase too but I can't recall it at the moment.

The Peter principle requires you to be competent at your current level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And why do you say that?
It's been reported in the HS that it is going to be the case.
Bloody hell. It was bad enough this year, but we'll have 90,000 ferals screaming for our blood every time we get a free, kick a goal or just any reason they deem fit. They were even booing buddy every time he got the ball. It was Goodes all over again. I hate the feral bastards more than anything.

I like the idea of the NGAs and some of the Vic clubs are serious about it, eg Cats and Saints. LolNorf only just restarted their NGA. They should be fined/lose any amount they received for running their invisible NGA.

According to my Tassie mates the AFL has been poison for footy in TAS for years.
It certainly has been poison to Tassie. Never developed anything. Kids would rather play any other sport as they are not 5sjen care of by the AFL system, whatever that is. A good thing development in SA & WA has nothing to do with them

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, that was a train wreck. Goody needs some media training. Pretty much hung Smith out to dry. He was being too candid in his responses. You gotta keep the drama in-house. The fact that he hasn't spoken to Smith. And then admits it to the media, while saying he was pissed off, they're the thoughts of a man who's lost control and is scrambling to figure out what to do next.

And I thought Mills arm wrestling press conference was bad.
The other thing he did was make the Oliver situation worse. Clayton said he took a shower and was collapsing in the shower. Diabetes? Low blood pressure?

Horses interviews may annoy some people (C88), but, he plays it with a straight bat for a reason. He protects the players and the Club from anything that might go wrong, and things go wrong in every workplace. Its like an insurance policy.

One thing about the AFL VFL media that pisses me off is the use of nicknames. For me it confirms a BS boys club and that all are involved.
eg.
In 'serious' interviews, The AFL CEO Gillion McGlauglin and the chief AFL journalist Damien Barrett will call each other Gill and Damo; Simon Goodwin is called Goody; Alastair Clarkson is called Clarko.. etc etc
Total respect to Longmire - hes never let the media call him Horse. Whenever he spoke about Buddy, he called him Lance.. etc
Just small things that Horse and the Swans do well (and professionally).
Lance actually does not like being called Buddy.

We played the game for almost 100 years withy next to no substitutes, then they introduced the 19th & 20th man concept who could not be rotated. The interchange was then introduced and it worked fine until some bright spark said how you could be penalized if you copped an injury. Hence we introduced the sub. MY GOD!!!
Injuries are part of the game and if you cop one, so be it.
I suppose the next thing that will happen is they'll do away with the sub next year (thank goodness) and put 5 on the bench but then some coach will bitch and moan about being disadvantaged because someone got concussed.
Then they'll bring the sub back as the 24th pl

In a day of glory for all AFL supporters, well most, Essendon have reached 7000 days without a finals win. Just beautiful.
Blow those little horns with the things that go out and unfurl and come back. It is truly magical and wonderful. Fills you with a sense of happiness that all is well in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back