Autopsy 2023 Rd 11 It's Groundhog Day ... again

Who played well for the Blues vs the Swans in Round 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

not here to troll.

semi serious question, would curnow playing a Darcy Moore role work? granted you'd be losing your power forward but surely it's worth rolling the dice...
It could well work!

Only prob is Charlie would have to kick it long enough, slow enough and high enough so he could immediately dash into the forward line, Usain Bolt like, and mark it too. No worm burners of course.

Brad Lloyd needs to go.

I reckon this is right. We cannot chop another coach. And to say it all sits in Vossy cannot be true. It’s assistant coaches, fitness, list management. It’s the whole football department that needs to be reviewed. There is no way our list management is performing well after effectively sitting out of last years trade period. We need to get the best of the best

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

21 goals 41 in our last three matches. That is woeful.

A game plan that has worn down two of the best key forwards in the league. To the point they are both mentally fried.

One paced midfielders with poor foot skills.

C grade ruckmen.

Nil intensity or desire. Tell me a time a Carlton team were more fierce than the opposition? Sydney simply wanted it more.

World records broken in the last two games of kicking it to the oppositions intercept defender.

Not sure where the club go from here. But I’m going to the bar and staying there the rest of the season.

I think we all agree it's not that we lost, it's how we lost.

And that is the same for all the losses in the last 6 weeks or so.

A head must roll (and I'm not fussed whether it's Voss, Lloyd, Hansen or another) and big names must be forced to play 2s - Harry for starters.

Cripps to have a rest.

Of course, the biggest concern is the failure/inability to address any of the problems from week to week - the same carp occurs each week. Without fail and without any sign of a different playing style....

Get some outside 'coaches' in like this week.

Tell the existing lot to take a hike for a few weeks....

What we're seeing is unacceptable, just like Voss' putrid press conferences.

Sydney were missing Mills and all their regular KPPs ffs.

It shouldn't have even been close.

Last edited:
For those that wanted TDK back in the side, what did you think? Are we better with Tom or JSOS in the side (assuming we can’t play both)?

I think we all agree it's not that we lost, it's how we lost.

And that is the same for all the losses in the last 6 weeks or so.

A head must roll (and I'm not fussed whether it's Voss, Lloyd, Hansen or another) and big names must be forced to play 2s - Harry for starters.

Cripps to have a rest.

Of course, the biggest concern is the failure/inability to address any of the problems from week to week - the same carp occurs each week. Without failure or any sign of a different playing style....

Get some outside 'coaches' in like this week.

Tell the existing lot to take a hike for a few weeks....

What we're seeing is unacceptable, just like Voss' putrid press conferences.

Sydney were missing Mills and all their regular KPPs ffs.

It shouldn't have even been close.
Trouble is Voss thinks we are playing 'the most like us' he's seen all year.
He really thinks we are almost 'there'.
It's 'just' the errant misses.
We still would have lost on that score front woildn't we? Converting the points to goals...although obviously confidence would have grown.
But it is so much more than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Respectfully, I think that’s a cop out. Teams have risen fallen and risen again since our rebuild commenced. Our game plan is broken and we have failed to develop talent despite a plethora of high draft picks.

It’s all on the club.
Ok we’re not great at developing talent, but we have screwed up the rebuild completely and need another mini version to hopefully correct this predicament.

Why do we have only 4 or 5 class midfielders (includes Hollands) in the whole club with only one, Binns, coming through and yet to debut?

The sharp, skilled, line breaking, high IQ mids were supposed to come from:

Dow
SPS
LOB
Stocker
Setters
Fish
Carroll
Philp
Cuners

The lost generation, there they are, there’s your problem.

Sure last two no luck with injuries, but this happens at most clubs, but can you just imagine how much better we would be if we had nailed at least 3 of those??

Thank god Nick Austin has come on the scene to sort this mess, he’s made a promising start.

The suck factor gets worse when you consider how injury prone and disappointing our trades and free agents have been, mostly done to rectify the poor mid recruiting above.

It’s a mini rebuild sorry, but let’s hope the results flow this time.

Last edited:
For those that wanted TDK back in the side, what did you think? Are we better with Tom or JSOS in the side (assuming we can’t play both)?
I think TDK is an amazing talented prospect, and we should let all the coaches and Lloyd go before we let him go.
I don't want to watch him flourish at the Cats.
Play him in defence. Give it a crack. At least until decent coaches arrive.

Last edited:
Only way to fix this is with a dozen slabs of Carlton Draught, a weekend away over the bye and a few hard truths (maybe a few fists too).

Bigger than a football problem
It won't fix it, but thanks. It would work for all us supporrters I guess.

JSOS is a horrendous kick for goal. Carrying him and H in a forward line is a headache. TDK ain’t a good kick either but if I choose between him and JSOS for the 3rd forward option then I choose TDK.

Play Jack down back or get someone in to fox his (and Harry’s) goal kicking.

I nearly fell off the couch when at one stage Kennedy REFUSED to go backwards in congestion and burst forward and we caused disruption. The players seemed confused they found space. And ****ed it up. I expected Kennedy to be dragged for not going backwards out of a pack but I presume Voss wanted to move him deeper into the backline as part of his development toward the ideal modern defender: slow, No run type stuff in the mould of Nick Daicos.

My favourite was when we won a contest half forward, wing, and effectively won the contest and then proceed to hand the hot potato backwards until near half back, for a hack kick forward which ended up at a contest at the same spot as where the original contest was. About ten possessions for 0 gain.

Also, with the speed and energy they ran the wrong way, it looked like they didn’t know way they were meant to be going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sydney were awful last night. Buddy was held goalless and they cantered past us comfortably.

Rewind to the start of this year. Carlton a lock for finals and pushing for top 4 provided injuries hold up.

We are now a bottom 4 side.
Actually the Swannies were awful, only us, Norf or WC could lose to them right now. We are in bottom 4 territory that’s the harsh and galling reality

L
Ok we’re not great at developing talent, but we have screwed up the rebuild completely and need another mini version to hopefully correct this predicament.

Why do we have only 4 or 5 class midfielders (includes Hollands) in the whole club with only one, Binns, coming through and yet to debut?

The sharp, skilled, line breaking, high IQ mids were supposed to come from:

Dow
SPS
LOB
Stocker
Fish
Carroll
Philp
Cuners

The lost generation, there they are, there’s your problem.

Sure last two no luck with injuries, but this happens at most clubs, but can you just imagine how much better we would be if we had nailed at least 3 of those??

Thank god Nick Austin has come on the scene to sort this mess, he’s made a promising start.

The suck factor gets worse when you consider how injury prone and disappointing our trades and free agents have been, mostly done to rectify the poor mid recruiting above.

It’s a mini rebuild sorry, but let’s hope the results flow this time.
SOS was a pretty poor list boss all things considered.

And he missed the pre season 😂
It is ridiculous as you say. Cottrell missed a huge chunk of preseason, yet he looked as up and about of anyone last night. He did in the Bulldogs game as well, then had the typical "2nd game back blues" against Collingwood.

Did some (a lot) of our players actually over-train during the break to make up for the heart-break of round 23? The official pre-season was shortened quite a bit, yet we have rarely looked "fresh" as a collective. Cottrell actually looks fresh. Whether we have a 5 day break or an 8 day break, we just look sluggish in general.

He also has that extra bit of speed that allows him to apply pressure better than most. Our 2 biggest issues currently are speed and goal-kicking yips. Neither has anything to do with the coach - apart from playing slow players out of position (Kennedy). One can turn quickly, hopefully Austin can address the other at the end of the year.

JSOS is a horrendous kick for goal. Carrying him and H in a forward line is a headache. TDK ain’t a good kick either but if I choose between him and JSOS for the 3rd forward option then I choose TDK.

Play Jack down back or get someone in to fox his (and Harry’s) goal kicking.
Agree. JSOS should definitely play down back and by the sounds he was trialled there in the 2s. That’s a positive. Gov will be gone at seasons end and Jack is the perfect replacement.

I’m just not convinced TDK is a forward. He’s a number 1 ruckman and will likely get that opportunity at Cats or Swans if he doesn’t with us…

Agree. JSOS should definitely play down back and by the sounds he was trialled there in the 2s. That’s a positive. Gov will be gone at seasons end and Jack is the perfect replacement.

I’m just not convinced TDK is a forward. He’s a number 1 ruckman and will likely get that opportunity at Cats or Swans if he doesn’t with us…

Good to hear re JSOS trialed there in the twos.

Not sure how Marchbank went but he’ll prob be good for 3 or 4 senior appearances before likely being re-injured. So we have a further temp option for the backline.

Would love to drop Gov and his bruise free footy now, but if him playing can increase his prospective contract value and improve our compo pick then I’ll see that as a positive.

Agree re TDK needing to be number 1 banana as his main role, but they really need to improve his capacity to rest up forward. It might be a moot point anyway as he looks destined for elsewhere. Best they can do is squeeze as many good performances from him as possible to drive up his trade value.

Back