Autopsy 2023 Rd 23 Blues win by 4 in heartstopper. We're playing finals baby!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

First things first.

I feel like over the last few weeks, we've come up with what I'm going to call succession plans for mainstay players. If Doc goes down, Fisher can step straight into his role; he doesn't have the defensive chops, but to an extent we're not using Docherty in that way anymore anyway. Doc is playing at present as a behind the play receiver through midfield and a handball receive from a mark/free kick with a dash and 50m kick either down the line or two a target, seeking penetration as opposed to accuracy. If any of the midfield battery goes down, Dow comes in with a marginally different emphasis on what he does (if it's Cerra, he plays as a receiver; if it's Kennedy, he goes inside and gets himself before dishing off by hand to the free player or receives off Cripps or Hewitt; if it's Hewitt, he goes in and dishes off by hand almost exclusively); if Gov goes down, Marchbank comes in.

This kind of reduction in roles for individuals in the 23 is super interesting. Cripps doesn't need to pick the ball up and dash away and kick inside 50 and take a mark and kick the goal; Hewitt or Dow can pick the ball up in congestion, handpass out to Dow or Docherty or Fisher or Cottrell or Kennedy or Walsh, who kicks to Owies or Motlop or Harry or Charlie or Martin. Weitering does not need to mark everything; Kemp, Gov/Marchbank are capable enough at intercept plays. Saad isn't the only outlet run out of back half; Acres not the only winger capable of attacking play. It's a team game from us, and this bears out through the stats; instead of the multiple 30+ disposal getters we had last year, this season the mids are spreading the load and it's the Newmans of the world getting their 30. It means that each role is distilled to the essential components within it; Cripps gets and gives, and leaves the breaking lines to those with the legspeed and step. Doc doesn't have to be the hero; he gives it to Cotts in range of goal, Weitering behind the ball, Cerra through midfield, and lets his unselfishness be that necessary component for his game.

What this means though is that if the back pocket role does not need the extra 6 effective disposals a game - most of which are handballs - that you get from Fisher over Boyd, Fish isn't getting picked once Boyd is considered ready to go.

For all that Fisher has been good, he's still finding ways to turn the ball over or place his teammates under pressure. The same can be said of Marchbank, who keeps going to ground when he needs to keep his feet and finds a way to do the precise opposite thing he should be doing in the moment; sometimes, it'll result in him taking a mark he shouldn't have gotten, but an awful lot it'll result in him getting outmarked at present.

While I appreciate that Voss isn't going to do it, he needs to move on from Ed Curnow. Ed makes dumb mistakes; yesterday, from a position of space after getting on the end of a Dow clearance, Ed receives the ball moving through the defensive side of the wing. He has a player closing on him, and an option available by hand all of 10m in front of him; what does Ed do? He throws it on the boot, snapping wildly downfield for... a GC player to mark.

We're only 5 points up, and he's snapping blindly through the corridor.

Winning with clear criticisms is probably a good thing; it shows that the level of expectation is changing. But I am a little concerned that we're flirting with form at the moment, because our avenues to goal are still too Charlie centric. While it works all good, but at some point an opposition's going to get a hold of him and we aren't going to be able to confine a side to 60 points on GF day.

Last edited:
View attachment 1779287

This moment, along with Charlie taking the game sealing mark epitomise this win for me. Jack Martin, along with most of the team, had patches where they took the easy and ineffective option. His play-on checkside effort that didn't even result in a score in the 3rd was a moment of frustration, but he was also capable of this.

With 9:12 left in the 4th, Martin halved a two-on-one contest, which allowed Acres to apply pressure that resulted in the ball spilling to Motlop, an immaculate I50 and Charlie's goal that truly put us within reach of Gold Coast.

Opposition fans and naysayers can point to luck, but it's also moments like this that have led to our resurrection. We've had a list talented enough, but when they're willing to do the unglamourous, difficult and selfless things, the Blues are capable of anything.

Opposition fans can point to luck but it took every shade of sh!t luck last year for us to miss finals. At some point it had to turn.

These wins with our second string midfield are just gold.

With Walsh / Cerra / Kennedy back then a week's rest we have no excuse come finals... and hopefully we won't need one.

First things first.

I feel like over the last few weeks, we've come up with what I'm going to call succession plans for mainstay players. If Doc goes down, Fisher can step straight into his role; he doesn't have the defensive chops, but to an extent we're not using Docherty in that way anymore anyway. Doc is playing at present as a behind the play receiver through midfield and a handball receive from a mark/free kick with a dash and 50m kick either down the line or two a target, seeking penetration as opposed to accuracy. If any of the midfield battery goes down, Dow comes in; if Gov goes down, Marchbank comes in.

This kind of reduction in roles for individuals in the 23 is super interesting. Cripps doesn't need to pick the ball up and dash away and kick inside 50 and take a mark and kick the goal; Hewitt or Dow can pick the ball up in congestion, handpass out to Dow or Docherty or Fisher or Cottrell or Kennedy or Walsh, who kicks to Owies or Motlop or Harry or Charlie or Martin. Weitering does not need to mark everything; Kemp, Gov/Marchbank are capable enough at intercept plays. Saad isn't the only outlet run out of back half; Acres not the only winger capable of attacking play. It's a team game from us, and this bears out through the stats; instead of the multiple 30+ disposal getters we had last year, this season the mids are spreading the load and it's the Newmans of the world getting their 30. It means that each role is distilled to the essential components within it; Cripps gets and gives, and leaves the breaking lines to those with the legspeed and step. Doc doesn't have to be the hero; he gives it to Cotts in range of goal, Weitering behind the ball, Cerra through midfield, and lets his unselfishness be that necessary component for his game.

What this means though is that if the back pocket role does not need the extra 6 effective disposals a game - most of which are handballs - that you get from Fisher over Boyd, Fish isn't getting picked once Boyd is considered ready to go.

For all that Fisher has been good, he's still finding ways to turn the ball over or place his teammates under pressure. The same can be said of Marchbank, who keeps going to ground when he needs to keep his feet and finds a way to do the precise opposite thing he should be doing in the moment; sometimes, it'll result in him taking a mark he shouldn't have gotten, but an awful lot it'll result in him getting outmarked at present.

While I appreciate that Voss isn't going to do it, he needs to move on from Ed Curnow. Ed makes dumb mistakes; yesterday, from a position of space after getting on the end of a Dow clearance, Ed receives the ball moving through the defensive side of the wing. He has a player closing on him, and an option available by hand all of 10m in front of him; what does Ed do? He throws it on the boot, snapping wildly downfield for... a GC player to mark.

We're only 5 points up, and he's snapping blindly through the corridor.

Winning with clear criticisms is probably a good thing; it shows that the level of expectation is changing. But I am a little concerned that we're flirting with form at the moment, because our avenues to goal are still too Charlie centric. While it works all good, but at some point an opposition's going to get a hold of him and we aren't going to be able to confine a side to 60 points on GF day.

Does Gov automatically replace Marchbank?

I'd argue that is unlikely.

I do like Gov but Marchbank has him covered for intercept making... such a massive talent. A shame his body has been so fragile.

There's just this never say die spirit with this team. They never know when they're beaten. When you have that characteristic then you'll always have a chance.

Here we were against the Suns up in the Gold Coat, and we've had some bad days at Metricon Stadium in recent years! We still persevered and found a way to prevail though.

I think Vossy has finally stamped his personality on this team. They're all playing for themselves and the coach. It goes to show that this talk earlier in the year, about the coach losing some of the players was total and utter bs.

Watched the game at a pub with some diehard bagger mates. Still sitting in the car thrashing this old fave. Wife thinks I'm chemically unbalanced

That’s alright. My wife thinks the same

I walked around the house yesterday singing an old Pogues (Dirty old town) song which i copied from Liverpool

He’s our full forward
He’s our number 30
We watch him mark
And we watch him score
He’ll pass the ball
Calm as you like
He’s Charlie Curnow
Charlie Curnow

I do like Gov but Marchbank has him covered for intercept making... such a massive talent. A shame his body has been so fragile.
I think he does - he’s a big upgrade on Marchy in every aspect - defensive capability, marking, kicking to advantage, tackling, his offensive ability is missed.

Bring him on in!

Y'all not kidding about how hard this game was to watch even on television.

Most of the games I've attended on the GC have been twilight or evening games where the lighting is much more consistent.

If the Suns players are accustomed to that lighting (curiosity will make me want to find out) that's a pretty significant home field advantage. Bigger than Optus Stadium day games where the shadows transvens over an increasing part of the ground.

I think he does - he’s a big upgrade on Marchy in every aspect - defensive capability, marking, kicking to advantage, tackling, his offensive ability is missed.

Bring him on in!

Yes McGovern showed more this season than Marchbank has and while I am sympathetic to Marchbank given his lack of games in recent years, I also think we have to put our best 22 combination on the field as we have a golden opportunity to win the flag in the next month

I would also say the others in the team that could be dropped are Ed, Pitto, Cincotta, Fisher, Cottrell, Cuningham and Dow. I had also thought Hollands but he’s got better and he had a crazy 31 pressure acts against the Suns.

I would say from the above for now Dow is safe as he’s probably ahead of the others. Boyd still a chance to replace Cincotta or Fisher. Kennedy will find it hard to get back in. SOS didn’t seem to do much in the VFL so may not get a chance either. I would bring Fogarty back in as soon as possible in addition to Cerra, Walsh and McGovern.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shout out to George Hewett. I was scathing on him earlier this year. His mobility was s**t and performances fell off accordingly.champion data is not the be all and end all but it’s often a decent guide. In the first half of last year he was right up there in the top 20 players in the afl. This year he was a mile off it. Very low ratings. The last five weeks he has moved much better and his output is through the roof. He’s averaged 14 ratings points a game which is back to his best output of the first half of last year.

Add a fit Cripps, Cerra and Walsh to that and it’s as good as they get. Hollands will lose his spot soon to Doc on the wing as they get them all back. Dow will be unlucky again.

As an aside Kennedy has never produced the ratings output that hewett is now or did first half of last year in a block of games like this. He and Dow are first backup players if we have all the mids.

That a side could be good enough to not fit ALL of Dow, Kennedy and Hollands is amazing.

Yes McGovern showed more this season than Marchbank has and while I am sympathetic to Marchbank given his lack of games in recent years, I also think we have to put our best 22 combination on the field as we have a golden opportunity to win the flag in the next month

I would also say the others in the team that could be dropped are Ed, Pitto, Cincotta, Fisher, Cottrell, Cuningham and Dow. I had also thought Hollands but he’s got better and he had a crazy 31 pressure acts against the Suns.

I would say from the above for now Dow is safe as he’s probably ahead of the others. Boyd still a chance to replace Cincotta or Fisher. Kennedy will find it hard to get back in. SOS didn’t seem to do much in the VFL so may not get a chance either. I would bring Fogarty back in as soon as possible in addition to Cerra, Walsh and McGovern.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think it’ll be limited to the big 3 - Walsh Cerra and Gov if ready for the reason you’ve mentioned - risk of losing momentum is high. It’s not like we’ve done this before, so ride the wave.

Hope the boys are up for GWS - they’ll need to be. GWS have to beat us or they miss finals.

I wouldn’t drop Cincotta - his body of work has been strong.

Fish an interesting one - he’s been good, but likely doc back, gov back , Walsh and Cerra in, Ed Curnow out & possibly Hollands.

I’d keep Dow, three way rotation off the bench - Cripps, Hewy & Dow - with Cerra & Walsh on the outside.

If cunners drops out, hopefully Fog is ready.

A fit Gov is crucial to our 22.

But I do wonder if the MC would drop Marchbank or Cincotta. Both can play smaller than the third tall role but if Gov got reinjured Marchbank cab make the switch whilst Cincotta cannot. Saad, Newman and Doc provide run and carrty, dash, and field general play down back so we're in no way devoid of it

The MC has some serious questions to answer.

I love Cinc too so I'm not underselling his skills

. Hollands will lose his spot soon to Doc on the wing as they get them all back. Dow will be unlucky again.
I would be shocked and disappointed if Hollands was dropped for any reason other than ijuury.

He just brings too much of what Voss demands in this game plan - can run all day and is constantly applying pressure.

You can't easily replace what he gives you.

He's also earmarked as a genuine future star of this club. Getting him finals experience early will be important for his future improvement.

Dow:
team high 7 clearances
equal team high 4 centre clearances
7 score involvements
24 touches, 10 contested
6 marks
2 intercept marks
5 inside 50s
4 tackles
532 metres gained
3 rebound 50s
1 goal assist
3 score launchers

Seems like he needs the first quarter to find the level/pace of the game..:but once he does he is getting involved and influencing….

We were a little thin in the middle today but without him we would have lost that game

Even taking overhead marks now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am genuinely happy to see the Blues back in finals, especially for Crippa to play his first final. Crazy how if it was last year Anderson puts that through and Marchbank's touch is probably a goal for Melb, shows how sometimes you just need a bit of luck to fall your way!
Yes. It’s a bit of a worry that not many seem to have noticed. Last week Petracca had a shot at goal in the last minute or so that went through for a behind, exactly the same this week with Noah Anderson. It’s eerily similar to last year, except the cards fell our way.

From a positive standpoint we’re applying more pressure. From another standpoint our tactics when ahead by less than a goal in the dying minutes of a game provides the opposition chances to take the game.

Got to be happy though, there is still plenty of upside in this team.

Getting a Charlie tattoo Monday
Hope it doesn't turn out like this

_95390528_ronaldobust.jpg

Dow and Kemp are interesting case studies.

Both have improved and do a lot of good things, but both are good for a few glaring errors a game that cost goals.

Dow - Done some really nice things and overall has been a good fill in, but in each of his 3 games it seems the pace is too much for him in the first quarter and he's been caught HTB and turned the ball over by foot when under pressure. But then he's settled, the game slows down and he gets better as the game goes on.

Kemp - Has been strong with his intercept marking and his disposal has generally been pretty solid. But in pretty much every game he loses a few aerial contests where you just think he should have done better and been able to spoil the ball. Quite often he doesn't put any body contact on the forward...I think he purposely stands off them to try to defend by leaping at the ball himself but when it doesn't work it looks bad.
I agree but they are not alone.

We’ve got key players that make errors at crucial times that also lead to goals against.

It’s not something I believe warrants focus when overall they are showing signs of good improvement.

Back