Preview 2023 Round 7 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday 29th April 7.30PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Sam Docherty, Brodie Kemp, Adam Saad
OUT: Lachie Cowan (managed), Jesse Motlop (suspension), Matthew Kennedy, Lochie O’Brien

Backs:Nic NewmanJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Sam DochertyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinHarry McKayZac Fisher
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Blake AcresAlex CincottaJosh Honey
Lewis Young
Emergencies:Lachie CowanTom De KoningLachie Fogarty
Matthew Kennedy

We've got TDK who is one of the most promising rucks not getting a game, other clibs willing to throw millions at him.

Kennedy one of our best mids IMO dropped all of a sudden.

Dow can't get a game.

Liam Stocker couldn't find a spot in our 22 but is well entrenched in the top team in the comp's 22.

Ed Curnow must be dating the coach's mum because only god himself could possibly know how he's still on our list let alone getting a start.

All this points to our coaching group having little to no idea about what they are on about.
Had a corky (I think) last week and is horribly out of form.

Supposedly planned to be the sub, if a media/media-adjacent tweet is to be believed.

Probably more to do the defensive stuff rather than disposal count.

Rumours of a rejected off-season fitness program, not adhering to structures, in a position where we have a lot of players on the list.

Thought would be break glass in case of emergency. Hopefully phased out in coming weeks.

I’m not sure about Kennedy as the sub, I fear that one of our backs goes down and he’s forced to play there again.

I’m sure tomorrow when I’m getting ready to go to the game I’ll be more excited but as it stands I’m pretty nervous haha

I suspect the form of Cerra has also indirectly resulted in the dropping of Kennedy.

Cripps, Cerra, Walsh now clearly our 3 best mids. Playing Hewett and Kennedy as mids 4-5, neither of whom has a 2nd position forces us to rotate Cerra and Walsh (who are more versatile) off the ball more then we'd like to accommodate them.

We can't really afford to be doing that. Would be the same with Dow which is why we never bring him in.

Doch as 5th mid can play the majority of the game at halfback and go onball when we need him to cover rotations. We don't have to move other players out of position to accommodate him.

Very smart observation.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not sure about Kennedy as the sub, I fear that one of our backs goes down and he’s forced to play there again.

I’m sure tomorrow when I’m getting ready to go to the game I’ll be more excited but as it stands I’m pretty nervous haha
There are plenty of defenders in the 22, with Cincotta and Young on the bench in addition to the starting back six.

As it stands, I'd expect big midfield minutes (fitness permitting) from Docherty, and Cincotta to spend the game in the D50. Should a defender go down, presumably Docherty would go back, and Kennedy into the middle, or perhaps to half-forward.

We've got TDK who is one of the most promising rucks not getting a game, other clibs willing to throw millions at him.

Kennedy one of our best mids IMO dropped all of a sudden.

Dow can't get a game.

Liam Stocker couldn't find a spot in our 22 but is well entrenched in the top team in the comp's 22.

Ed Curnow only god himself could possibly know how he's still on our list let alone getting a start.

All this points to our coaching group having little to no idea about what they are on about.
Yep - it sure does 😆

Thing is we have 8 defenders in the squad, doubt that will happen

My understanding is the calf that kept Kennedy out a few weeks back was timely as he would of been dropped anyway
:think: Fact check

Kennedy was out after round 1 against Richmond - I guess your 'understanding' has nothing to do with coach's votes for that game- since he scored 8 coach's votes - second to Cripps who got 10.

For those that want to know what a double effort from a mid running into our forward fifty looks like - see below.

My understanding is the calf that kept Kennedy out a few weeks back was timely as he would of been dropped anyway
After the 26 possession game in the win against the Cats? Was our only player that was in the top 5 ranked Blues for both games at that stage.

Why TOG only about 70%?
Reckon it’s as much about midfield balance when he’s playing alongside Hewett and Cripps.

Crippa tends to spend about 80-85% on ground while Hewett is probably in the 70-75% range.

Kennedy and Hewett have both had sub-70% games and both similar had others up closer to 80% (or even 85% for Kennedy).

The actual on-ball time for all 3 when playing together and in form (with minimal rotations elsewhere) probably came close to 200%… or 2 of the 3 centre square mids, with Cerra and Walsh effectively splitting the time for the 3rd CSM spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy is a very good endurance runner. Way better than most realise. Just as slow as treacle.

Call me Han Solo but I literally have no idea why he has been dropped. Does a lot of the grunt work for Cripps. Puts his head over it. I'd be more inclined to drop Hewett if I had to drop a mid.

I suspect the form of Cerra has also indirectly resulted in the dropping of Kennedy.

Cripps, Cerra, Walsh now clearly our 3 best mids. Playing Hewett and Kennedy as mids 4-5, neither of whom has a 2nd position forces us to rotate Cerra and Walsh (who are more versatile) off the ball more then we'd like to accommodate them.

We can't really afford to be doing that. Would be the same with Dow which is why we never bring him in.

Doch as 5th mid can play the majority of the game at halfback and go onball when we need him to cover rotations. We don't have to move other players out of position to accommodate him.
Agree with this.
However, it Doesn’t explain the continuing support for Ed Curnow who is a great club man but a limited footballer who can only play one role effectively at AFL level - an inside midfield tagger. None of the top teams play a dedicated tagger and that we do only reiterates the negative mindset which has infected the playing list.

Agree with this.
However, it Doesn’t explain the continuing support for Ed Curnow who is a great club man but a limited footballer who can only play one role effectively at AFL level - an inside midfield tagger. None of the top teams play a dedicated tagger and that we do only reiterates the negative mindset which has infected the playing list.
Plenty of sides that play coolers

:think: Fact check

Kennedy was out after round 1 against Richmond - I guess your 'understanding' has nothing to do with coach's votes for that game- since he scored 8 coach's votes - second to Cripps who got 10.

For those that want to know what a double effort from a mid running into our forward fifty looks like - see below.

Don't need to fact check that's what i was told take it or leave...doesn't bother me.

Surname worship much?

Silvagni has been horrible - all year. His main features are he smothers a kick a game which make up for cement hands and dirtying his underwear whenever he has to take a regulation set shot- his kicking looks better from acute angles- because he knows no one expects him to kick them. He is badly out of form. I get tire of seeing him creep into teh square and compoeting against Charlie and or Harry for a contest- last week he spoiled Charlies mark doing that - out defending the St Kilda backs in doing so - for a 'samrt' footballer that is poretty dumb - for a bloke that manages ground ball contests pretty well - even dumber not to sit for a crumb or draw a defender away...

I like Jack as much as anyone but he needs to lift big time because he is nowhere near the required output of 100 gamer. Kennedy is a legitimate HFF/mid rotation option if anyone is interested in contested marking or reliable set shots from 40 out or closer.

Toss up between Kennedy/Hewett and Ed as an onballer with Ed getting the nod because he runs better - to what effect I dont know but that is another story.
Mongrel worship much? I don't care who his name is. I'm not old enough to have any attachment to the name.

Silvagni does the stuff off the ball Kennedy can't. All this drivel is pretty easily countered by Kennedy has also been s**t this year and JSos had a huge win on Wilkie. Forcing a saints team that's nearly revolved around him to find a completely new method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back