Preview 2023 Round 7 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday 29th April 7.30PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Sam Docherty, Brodie Kemp, Adam Saad
OUT: Lachie Cowan (managed), Jesse Motlop (suspension), Matthew Kennedy, Lochie O’Brien

Backs:Nic NewmanJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Sam DochertyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinHarry McKayZac Fisher
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Blake AcresAlex CincottaJosh Honey
Lewis Young
Emergencies:Lachie CowanTom De KoningLachie Fogarty
Matthew Kennedy

I suspect the form of Cerra has also indirectly resulted in the dropping of Kennedy.

Cripps, Cerra, Walsh now clearly our 3 best mids. Playing Hewett and Kennedy as mids 4-5, neither of whom has a 2nd position forces us to rotate Cerra and Walsh (who are more versatile) off the ball more then we'd like to accommodate them.

We can't really afford to be doing that. Would be the same with Dow which is why we never bring him in.

Doch as 5th mid can play the majority of the game at halfback and go onball when we need him to cover rotations. We don't have to move other players out of position to accommodate him.

Makes perfect sense but you're talking about the centre bounce obviously. At least one HFF will join the mids once the ball is in general play. So there's room for all of them when you take rotations into account.

So I assume Dow is never getting a game ? Haven’t seen a lot of the seconds.. but gets the pill .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Still gets the pill. Still a clearance beast. Still a poor kick and 2-way runner. Still deserves another chance to play in the middle if selection integrity means anything.

Slow ball movement can be ok, but not when there is no option to go faster.
It was infuriating how we would take a mark and just stand there, rather than take a few steps back to give the option to kick forward. All it did was give St Kilda more time to set up their defense.

No team is going to kick at 100%, so the Saints just had to wait for us to fluff a kick. Even if we went at 95%, we were still going to turn it over before we could get a decent shot at goal.
I’ve put myself through watching Pies Bombers and the Saints Port game and outside of the contest we are missing so much run from behind the ball.

We are also missing any semblance of taking the game on. All four of those teams will try the riskier kick time after time and as soon as that kick is taken numbers swarm to where the ball is going, receiver often has multiple options via handball then it’s off to the races.

Yes they * it up but not as often as they don’t, our players are playing such safe football it’s destroying our ability to get transition going, any overlap and quick entries.

Saad and Doc should help with this but also hoping Boyd gets a go and why Williams was so important structurally.

Any team will look slow when they don’t move the ball quickly.

We now know Weiters has had other things on his mind (entire life savings for someone who strikes me as prudent was probably a hellva lot of money and would be extremely hard to put behind you) but I think the entire team has put so much mental pressure on themselves to make finals that they‘ve become s**t scared of the * up.

Along with some important personal not playing and form issues for others It has compounded into slow, safe footy
and we’ve seen the game is not being played that way.

Hopefully they get their mojo back.

Last edited:
We now know Weiters has had other things on his mind (entire life savings for someone who strikes me as prudent was probably a hellva lot of money and would be extremely hard to put behind you) but I think the entire team has put so much mental pressure on themselves to make finals that they‘ve become s**t scared of the * up.
This is probably a factor -- I said before something he said on SEN about not wanting to go back to that losing feeling etc etc worries me l.. A lot of our player would be emotionally challenged a bulk of them have been through multiple coaching regimes in a short period to be constantly flogged -- you see it in our captain during a game he often seems to be going through that emotional rollercoaster - a lot of our players have baggage maybe why when we get in front to a winning position we choke a bit not wanting to lose and old habits creep in - I don't think the coaches instruct players to go backwards sidewards when there are options open which happened a lot last week I think certain players under pressure choose to take the safe option instead of pulling the trigger potentially causing error making it someone else problem ..
if can blood Binns bring have players like Boyd cincotta even cotterell in side this year, we bring in capable fresh blood next year will totally change the balance and energy of the side ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve put myself through watching Pies Bombers and the Saints Port game and outside of the contest we are missing so much run from behind the ball.

We are also missing any semblance of taking the game on. All four of those teams will try the riskier kick time after time and as soon as that kick is taken numbers swarm to where the ball is going, receiver often has multiple options via handball then it’s off to the races.

Yes they * it up but not as often as they don’t, our players are playing such safe football it’s destroying our ability to get transition going, any overlap and quick entries.

Saad and Doc should help with this but also hoping Boyd gets a go and why Williams was so important structurally.

Any team will look slow when they don’t move the ball quickly.

Along with some important personal not playing and form issues for others It has compounded into slow, safe footy
and we’ve seen the game is not being played that way.

Hopefully they get their mojo back.

In other words we are mental lightweights.

This is probably a factor -- I said before something he said on SEN about not wanting to go back to that losing feeling etc etc worries me l.. A lot of our player would be emotionally challenged a bulk of them have been through multiple coaching regimes in a short period to be constantly flogged -- you see it in our captain during a game he often seems to be going through that emotional rollercoaster - a lot of our players have baggage maybe why when we get in front to a winning position we choke a bit not wanting to lose and old habits creep in - I don't think the coaches instruct players to go backwards sidewards when there are options open which happened a lot last week I think certain players under pressure choose to take the safe option instead of pulling the trigger potentially causing error making it someone else problem ..
if can blood Binns bring have players like Boyd cincotta even cotterell in side this year, we bring in capable fresh blood next year will totally change the balance and energy of the side ..
I think Voss does coach this.
I hope I'm wrong or that he chucks that out.

No Channel 7 commentary for a change

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back