2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Mannagh before 40 is crazy talk. Pretty sure a state league player that old hasn't been drafted top 50 since before it was a national competition.

He probably only comes into play for our last selection based off history (of course history is only a guide).

Mannagh before 40 is crazy talk. Pretty sure a state league player that old hasn't been drafted top 50 since before it was a national competition.

He probably only comes into play for our last selection based off history (of course history is only a guide).
If we want him we’re going to have to use pick 46, North have pick 59, right before our 60, with Barlow at north now and in theory 5 top 25 kids already selected, they will take him with that pick.

If we want him we’re going to have to use pick 46, North have pick 59, right before our 60, with Barlow at north now and in theory 5 top 25 kids already selected, they will take him with that pick.
I don't expect North Melbourne to use that selection tbh.

There’s probably only going to be around 55 picks though. A team like St Kilda could say okay we’ll draft Mannagh with our last pick - it just so happens their last pick is probably going to be in the early 40s.

I’m not saying he goes in the top 25 or anything. But it’s harder to predict when some teams will be done drafting by then.

There's a lot of players who I would be very happy to draft, but in the phantoms they all seem to be gone before it gets to our pick at 36, and from there it seems to be such an uninspiring group to choose from, that I don't think it is completely crazy that Mannagh is taken earlier than history suggests should happen.

As far as history, another area to see if it holds up is the ruck choices. I see most phantoms with Read, Green, Edwards, Goad in the top 40. But go back through previous drafts and there is usually only 1 or 2 maximum rucks taken in the top 40. It's the least important position on the ground, plus mature rucks are always available to trade for, and clubs generally don't invest much at the draft in young rucks.

If 3 or 4 rucks go top 40, it suggests the talent pool of non-rucks is very shallow, which to me also means Mannagh might have more chance of going top 40 as well.

– Fellow Subiaco product Lance Collard continues to be heavily linked to both WA clubs. While Richmond has also shown ample interest in the speedy goalkicker, rival clubs don’t expect Collard to be on the board by the Tigers’ first selection, with the Eagles to strongly consider taking Collard with their natural second-rounder – the first pick of night two of the draft. Glenelg forward Ashton Moir also continues to be linked to the Eagles.

– Werribee’s Shaun Mannagh – widely regarded as the best mature-age state league prospect in this year’s class – has been heavily linked to Fremantle, which holds Picks 34, 46, 60 and 64.

We cannot let Eagles get him with their second pick. IDGAF what it takes.
I think you should prepare yourself for disappointment as we traded away a pick straight up that was only 2 spots behind WC's second pick right at the start of the trade period unconcerned. Would have been a hell of a lot easier to trade in front of West Coast from there. That was not knowing we'd lose Lachie this year. Then when presented with an opportunity to take a pick in front of pick 23 (19) this year we passed on it for an F1.

If I didn't know any better I'd say this leak is coming from the dirty birds. Trying to get Geelong or Gold Coast (or more likely who Gold Coast trades their picks too) to pony up something big for pick 1 day 2.

I've long ago let go of Collard. The moment we asked for F1 after already giving away that North pick told me we aren't that serious about him.
We want to draft forwards and a small forward is an absolute need. Collard is the second best small forward compared to Watson so seems like a no-brainer to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s probably only going to be around 55 picks though. A team like St Kilda could say okay we’ll draft Mannagh with our last pick - it just so happens their last pick is probably going to be in the early 40s.

I’m not saying he goes in the top 25 or anything. But it’s harder to predict when some teams will be done drafting by then.
Apologies if you have already posted but Whats the story with Moir?
Highlights look very classy, why has he slipped so much?

We want to draft forwards and a small forward is an absolute need. Collard is the second best small forward compared to Watson so seems like a no-brainer to me.
Is he? Its only hearsay and a few draft watching journalists. Further there a billion other considerations even if it was true. If he is second best, by how much? 2nd best amongst a crop of what relative quality? These things need to be balanced up against each other and against other objectives and against how likely the player to succeed. Then you make a call on what you are prepared to do. It looks like 'spending a late first rounder' on him was beyond what we thought it was worth.

If some of the hearsay is true I suspect trading up a few spots from what is currently 34 would be the limit of what we think worth it.

Apologies if you have already posted but Whats the story with Moir?
Highlights look very classy, why has he slipped so much?

Arguably the best kick off each foot in the draft. As classy as it gets.

He struggled with a hip all year. Never really got going and struggled for any sort of consistency. Also played too deep forward in bad sides.

I don’t think there’s any work ethic concerns. He’s laconic looking on field which I think gets confused for lazy. From all reports worked hard ahead of the combine testing and did well.

I would be happy to draft Mannagh at 36 if it gives us a 30-40 goal small forward for the next 3 years

Well it's clearly not a no-brainer unless either:
  • Collard is getting to ~34
  • We were always trading in

If we were always trading in, then why did we go to all the effort to get future picks over something in 2023.

There is no way we've based our trading on acquiring Collard unless we're expecting him to be there in the late 20s or 30s.

From what I understand is that if a certain player slides we will look to trade up. Don't know who that is.

We initially thought a couple of players we were interested in would likely be available at 34, but with renewed interest in those players they now may not be available but we may still try to trade up if the opportunity presents itself. This would fit the Collard narrative because 5 weeks ago only Freo and West Coast would have taken the gamble on him.

From what I understand is that if a certain player slides we will look to trade up. Don't know who that is.

We initially thought a couple of players we were interested in would likely be available at 34, but with renewed interest in those players they now may not be available but we may still try to trade up if the opportunity presents itself. This would fit the Collard narrative because 5 weeks ago only Freo and West Coast would have taken the gamble on him.
Yes it makes sense if Collard is the guy. I feel like there are probably a few that might be available mid 20s that might extract an F1 from us.

Still think if we were serious about this draft we needed the Pies first, however **** it ends up being.

I've long ago let go of Collard. The moment we asked for F1 after already giving away that North pick told me we aren't that serious about him.
I think we’re interested in Collard just not at the pick many are saying. If he slides to around 28-30 then sure we could combine 34 and F2 to move up. We will have our list of preferred players and if someone (no idea who - I like Hardeman) is still available in the early 19-23 range then I think we will pull trigger. Likely pre-arranged deal with North Melbourne or GWS who have currently picks 15,16,17. They will all push back 4-5 spots.

As I've said multiple times history is only a guide but a player over 25 being drafted inside the top 50 hasn't happened. 50 a pretty random number to choose but some are saying top 35 or so.

Thing is the draft has been around 55-60 selections for probably 5-6 years and we still only see players that age drafted in the last few picks or more likely than not the rookie draft.

I reality is that it'd make Mannagh the best player over 25 in draft history in terms of draft selection by drafting him top 50. It'd be a massive call by a club - Quite frankly I'd be surprised if any club has the balls to do it.

“If you like them set them free”
Collard.
If eagles take him at their 2nd so be it. If tigers get him so be it. Wait 3 years for Collard to make his way, if he returns home to Freo so be it. If not so be it.

Love this time of year trade up for an 18 yo prospect. No. Trade in once proven, once we are challenging. Equally Why not just aggressively go for Shai Bolten..Collard is just shiny toy right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back