Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be but Gippsland is a long way from Ballarat, though from memory Mark was from over that way.

Mystery solved...:thumbsu:
I'm thinking Vic Country u-16s is a pretty good level. Only played 2 trial matches though - is there a full carnival of u16 matches?

And in my last bit of stalking for the day, playing seniors and thirds as a 16 year old. 3 goals in seniors this day:
Sorry, 15 year old:

23 May 2023 — Fifteen-year-old debutant Mitch Stevens kicked three goals for Heyfield

Uh Oh Northern Academies..

2023-AFL-National-Development-Championships-U16-Boys-All-Australian-Team.png
Some absolute guns from Queensland

And a few from NSW too

So long story short we can match Welsh with points in 2024 as rule will be brought in for 2025.
And we can trade the first rounder for a player.
I didnt read it as that at all..

I read that “its unlikely that these proposals will be bought in for 2024 as trades of picks have already been made”..

But if Tyler Welsh has a massive season next year and is looking a top 5 prospect you can be guaranteed these whinging Vic teams will be pushing for the changes to be bought in to force the crows to pay top dollar.

But.. Its just not possible to force a team to pay a pick from the same round..

Hypothetically.. What if the crows have a s**t year next year and finish second last and come pick 2 tyler welsh’s name hasnt been called out..

Are they forced to pick him at that pick?.. just incase there are clubs “intending to bid on him” with one of the next 16 picks?…

Thats just ridiculous.

What if they havent got two good second rounders and no one is willing to trade them any?

The system as it is is crap.. but they need to be very careful they dont simply make it even worse.

You cannot start making predictions on where players are gonna be bid on and expect clubs to try and prepare themselves for any situation in what, even on the night, is an unpredictable outcome..

Might be eligible for U16s nationals in 2024 ??

Is it son of or relative of ??
He apparently has a son of this name. According to Vader 's father/son thread, he is either 2024 or 2026 draft eligible.

Heyfield is the town where Mark played and coached.

Mitchell Stevens was 15 in May this year, is 6ft tall, and averaging 3 goals a game in thirds.

He is a 'relative'

Not sure about anything else sorry.

Article in the Australian newspaper in 2022 talking about Max bottom age year in 2021

‘June 2022 — Max was named SA's under-17 MVP for 2021. His football IQ, running ability, athleticism and evasiveness are among his strengths. Jim recalls ...’

Facts are Jack didn’t have close to that kind of bottom age year this year , he’s a good solid player . A late / rookie chance at this point , of course things can change
I’ve seen a bit of Jack, he’s done some nice things when I’ve seen him play, will be interesting how he comes on but I think he’d need to a bit.

Has to be Mark's son, highly unlikely there's another lad with the same name in the district...

Already playing Seniors for Heyfield at 15 so must go alright?

HEYFIELD were unstoppable when they hosted Cowwarr in Sale for the Hollonds-Komen Cup.

Their lead steadily grew over four quarters as they established their biggest win throughout the 2023 season.

Back-to-back six-goal quarters from the Kangaroos gave them breathing room at the main break, leading by 63 points, keeping the Saints to 1.2 (8) per quarter.

The third term was explosive, as the hosts kicked 9.3 (57) to one straight, surpassing triple figures on both the scoreboard and in the margin.

They closed out the win with six more majors in the final term, gaining a well-deserved percentage boost, 27.16 (178) to 5.5 (35).

Fifteen-year-old debutant Mitch Stevens kicked three goals for Heyfield, which was an added positive for the side who look to have strong juniors coming through.

Brayden Woodland, Robert McMillan, Tyson Birss, Kodie Woodland, Mitchell Bennett and Bailey Escreet were other stand-outs for the Kangaroos.

As for Cowwarr, Shane Morgan, Lee Bourke, Rhys Luxford, Brayden Rioli, Jackson Davison and Sean Alexander had decent individual performances.

Heyfield climb to sixth place with the win, and only sit outside the top five by nine per cent.

Next week they travel to Sale City for what will be a telling mid-table clash, while Cowwarr are faced with the challenge of Glengarry, who are fresh off of their first win.
I always loved Mark Stevens as a player so would love him to come through !

How many games did Mark play for us ?

Has to be Mark's son, highly unlikely there's another lad with the same name in the district...

Already playing Seniors for Heyfield at 15 so must go alright?

HEYFIELD were unstoppable when they hosted Cowwarr in Sale for the Hollonds-Komen Cup.

Their lead steadily grew over four quarters as they established their biggest win throughout the 2023 season.

Back-to-back six-goal quarters from the Kangaroos gave them breathing room at the main break, leading by 63 points, keeping the Saints to 1.2 (8) per quarter.

The third term was explosive, as the hosts kicked 9.3 (57) to one straight, surpassing triple figures on both the scoreboard and in the margin.

They closed out the win with six more majors in the final term, gaining a well-deserved percentage boost, 27.16 (178) to 5.5 (35).

Fifteen-year-old debutant Mitch Stevens kicked three goals for Heyfield, which was an added positive for the side who look to have strong juniors coming through.

Brayden Woodland, Robert McMillan, Tyson Birss, Kodie Woodland, Mitchell Bennett and Bailey Escreet were other stand-outs for the Kangaroos.

As for Cowwarr, Shane Morgan, Lee Bourke, Rhys Luxford, Brayden Rioli, Jackson Davison and Sean Alexander had decent individual performances.

Heyfield climb to sixth place with the win, and only sit outside the top five by nine per cent.

Next week they travel to Sale City for what will be a telling mid-table clash, while Cowwarr are faced with the challenge of Glengarry, who are fresh off of their first win.
My stalking also tells me he won the u12 best and fairest a few years ago... and participated in Vic primary school athletics...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didnt read it as that at all..

I read that “its unlikely that these proposals will be bought in for 2024 as trades of picks have already been made”..

But if Tyler Welsh has a massive season next year and is looking a top 5 prospect you can be guaranteed these whinging Vic teams will be pushing for the changes to be bought in to force the crows to pay top dollar.

But.. Its just not possible to force a team to pay a pick from the same round..

Hypothetically.. What if the crows have a s**t year next year and finish second last and come pick 2 tyler welsh’s name hasnt been called out..

Are they forced to pick him at that pick?.. just incase there are clubs “intending to bid on him” with one of the next 16 picks?…

Thats just ridiculous.

What if they havent got two good second rounders and no one is willing to trade them any?

The system as it is is crap.. but they need to be very careful they dont simply make it even worse.

You cannot start making predictions on where players are gonna be bid on and expect clubs to try and prepare themselves for any situation in what, even on the night, is an unpredictable outcome..
The AFL normally drop feeds changes to these types of rules

And luckily the Vics benefit so much from father / son rule they’re not going to tinker with it too much

Can see them prioristising the NGA rules personally to keep the vic clubs happy but not destroy their northern markets

Maybe one NGA player each club can be matched after top 10 , something like that

101 but if he’s not living in SA, why would he want to commit to father son?
Would have been born after Mark retired too. Hopefully he had a few VHS tapes lying around...

Imagine how compromised the draft is going to be when Tassie is given alot of the picks and there are still all these NGA and academy rules

Thankfully I’m hoping we are pretty strong by then , will be a debacle being near the bottom of the ladder in those years , very hard to get better

He apparently has a son of this name. According to Vader 's father/son thread, he is either 2024 or 2026 draft eligible.

Heyfield is the town where Mark played and coached.

Mitchell Stevens was 15 in May this year, is 6ft tall, and averaging 3 goals a game in thirds.

He is a 'relative'

Not sure about anything else sorry.
Played 2 games for Gippsland Power u-16s in Coates Talent league.
Played 2 trial games for Vic Country u16s, but didn't make team for championships. If he was 2026 draft age, this would still be pretty amazing to me.

Played 2 games for Gippsland Power u-16s in Coates Talent league.
Played 2 trial games for Vic Country u16s, but didn't make team for championships. If he was 2026 draft age, this would still be pretty amazing to me.
Would it be correct that Coates Talent League was only 2 games for the year? Seems to only be 2 rounds.

Imagine how compromised the draft is going to be when Tassie is given alot of the picks and there are still all these NGA and academy rules

Thankfully I’m hoping we are pretty strong by then , will be a debacle being near the bottom of the ladder in those years , very hard to get better
I am somewhat reassured by the fact that if the AFL actually cared about having a tasmanian team, we would have had one fifteen years ago. The Tassie team will still get their players, but there will be far less of the draft compromise caused by the existence of GCS or the desperate attempts to prop up North.

Hopefully they met at Joplins when he was out with Mods and Harty
To continue weird-stalkerish behaviour - the AFC website story mentioned Mitchell visited family whilst coming across for the academy event with Mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back