MRP / Trib. 2024 MRP Lotto thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I hate the cheating dogs. Wright doesn’t deserve to be suspended.
I actually agree with this
He was eyes for the ball already mid air

He can’t vanish into thin air

If you don’t want to get hit don’t put yourself in the hole in front of a big man

Max King should get 2 for wasting everybody’s time.

FWIW Wright and Essendon pretty much agreed with everything the prosecution said, just wanted to haggle from 4 down to 3.

Ihle (Bombers) says Wright accepts a reasonably prudent player would've done more to minimise impact, but says Wright was actually seeking to lessen, albeit not completely avoid, contact.
Ihle (Bombers) says by pleading guilty Wright is adopting evolving community standards "perhaps in a way where his conduct ... maybe even two years ago, would have been much more defensible."
Gleeson (Chair): I do find it a bit surprising the submission from both parties is that the mark wasn't open to him.

Personally if I'm on the jury and that's the bombers argument I would have ticked off on just 3 and lauded him for owning up to everything and admitting the times have changed. Don't even care if it's all weasel words because they don't think they can get a not guilty tbh.

4 for that is a disgrace. Literally penalising the act of going for the ball. We're really gonna have players being taught by their coaches not to enter contests, aren't we

4 for that is a disgrace. Literally penalising the act of going for the ball. We're really gonna have players being taught by their coaches not to enter contests, aren't we
The game is now being held hostage based on the possibility of future litigation.

He wasn't going for the ball.

Cunningham had his arms out to mark it, Wright didn't.

He wasn't going for the ball.

Cunningham had his arms out to mark it, Wright didn't.
Bullshit. He's going for the ball until the very last second, when he realizes what's gonna happen and naturally turns to brace for contact. Everything looks deliberate in slow motion so don't even mention that. This is two blokes going for the same footy at once, where one of them sees what's happening too late and can't stop his momentum.

When we suffer a suspension like this, you won't have the same opinion. AFL's trying to legislate against instinct, and until they take that gargantuan step of outright banning contact, they likely won't succeed in it

Bullshit. He's going for the ball until the very last second, when he realizes what's gonna happen and naturally turns to brace for contact. Everything looks deliberate in slow motion so don't even mention that. This is two blokes going for the same footy at once, where one of them sees what's happening too late and can't stop his momentum.

When we suffer a suspension like this, you won't have the same opinion. AFL's trying to legislate against instinct, and until they take that gargantuan step of outright banning contact, they likely won't succeed in it
He also owes a duty of care to Cunningham by choosing to brace/bump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also owes a duty of care to Cunningham by choosing to brace/bump.
That assumes that he stops and assesses the situation before running towards the ball, and if he did that, Cunningham would beat him to the ball and run off with it. Not overly practical for a sport of such high intensity

That assumes that he stops and assesses the situation before running towards the ball, and if he did that, Cunningham would beat him to the ball and run off with it. Not overly practical for a sport of such high intensity
After Cunningham beat him to the ball he didn't contest the ball. Yeah it's a split second decision but unfortunately he made the wrong one.

I have no desire to defend any *essendon player, but gee that is a tough penalty. Yes in the final milliseconds before the collision, his eyes move away from the ball, but wouldn't/shouldn't nearly all of us do the same?

I defy anyone not to brace for contact to protect themselves, when suddenly realising there is danger/going to be a collision. It is an ingrained behaviour. We are programmed to try to avoid getting hurt.

Our natural instincts take over in situations like that. It is called self preservation and without that instinct, many of us would suffer significantly bad injuries or in extreme cases perhaps get killed.

I have no desire to defend any *essendon player, but gee that is a tough penalty. Yes in the final milliseconds before the collision, his eyes move away from the ball, but wouldn't/shouldn't nearly all of us do the same?

I defy anyone not to brace for contact to protect themselves, when suddenly realising there is danger/going to be a collision. It is an ingrained behaviour. We are programmed to try to avoid getting hurt.

Our natural instincts take over in situations like that. It is called self preservation and without that instinct, many of us would suffer significantly bad injuries or in extreme cases perhaps get killed.
Wright pleaded guilty to it being careless, severe impact and high contact. How else can it be anything other than 3-4 weeks?

Ess asked that he be suspended for 3.

The charge was careless, severe impact (knocked out) and high contact and iirc correctly they couldn't give him less than 3 weeks if found guilty. Personally I liked their defense and would have happily gone with just 3.

You could argue he was unlucky to hit him so flush in the head, but he made the (split second) decision to launch into the air. Players have to start conditioning themselves better on what is now a viable aerial contest to throw themselves into (doubly so if they're a giant who is sprinting). It's the same with how they have had to relearn what a viable tackle is.

Fact is that there were dozens of marking contests with a similar setup but only one ended this badly. Luck does play a factor, but most players are already rapidly adapting to this new world. There will be more incidents like this one where we can't see much (or any) malice and could arguably call them accidents, but the AFL just isn't going to play the accidental/incidental card any more with the lawsuits hanging over them.

inb4 brownlow favourite does the same thing and doesn't even get cited

Obviously this is a hot topic and opinions will differ, but for me, if the 'contesting' player leaves the ground and makes contact with the head of an opposing player, and has the opportunity to protect themselves, but the opposing player does not, then the contesting player has failed in their duty of care (ie they've put their own preservation above that of their opponent).

On that reading, Maynard should have been suspended too - left the ground, had time to protect himself, but Brayshaw had no opportunity to do so

Obviously this is a hot topic and opinions will differ, but for me, if the 'contesting' player leaves the ground and makes contact with the head of an opposing player, and has the opportunity to protect themselves, but the opposing player does not, then the contesting player has failed in their duty of care (ie they've put their own preservation above that of their opponent).

On that reading, Maynard should have been suspended too - left the ground, had time to protect himself, but Brayshaw had no opportunity to do so
Its a one way street and cunningham turned left when he should have turned right. There needs to be ownership of ones own duty of care.

I have literally been saying this for years. Players dont do enough to protect themselves these days.

Maynard absolutely should have been suspended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back