Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Translation: I'm upset about CA's January 26 stance, so I'm going to criticise cricket crowds in this country, even though the numbers don't support my spurious claims.
Sorry very wrong - I could not care less about CAs Jan 26th stance!The crowds although a bit better this year are still poor for our supposed national sport with teams from every capital city!

Sorry very wrong - I could not care less about CAs Jan 26th stance!The crowds although a bit better this year are still poor for our supposed national sport with teams from every capital city!
Context dude. 20 years ago domestic cricket crowds were horrible. As a whole it was losing money and propped up by international games.
Nowadays the BBL is used as a cash cow, which is quite remarkable given the lack of respect it gets as a sporting competition.

43,153 at the SCG for the BBL final.

It’s a record for the BBL at that venue and one of the top 15 crowds for any sport there in the last 20 years.

The reduction in games has been a good thing for the competition.

1,020,763 total crowd for the 2024 Australian Open Tennis compared to last years also record of 839,192 that is an increase of 181571 year on year.
Well done to the organisers and all those who turned up to what is now our biggest sporting event inc the AFL Finals!

1,020,763 total crowd for the 2024 Australian Open Tennis compared to last years also record of 839,192 that is an increase of 181571 year on year.
Well done to the organisers and all those who turned up to what is now our biggest sporting event inc the AFL Finals!
Biggest ever crowd for any grand slam, beating the US Opens 950K total attendance last year. Only the US Open can match Melbourne Park in size. (Wimbledon and Roland Garros are on a much smaller sizes due to capacity limits, they get roughly 500K)

Biggest ever crowd for any grand slam, beating the US Opens 950K total attendance last year. Only the US Open can match Melbourne Park in size. (Wimbledon and Roland Garros are on a much smaller sizes due to capacity limits, they get roughly 500K)
Yes Arthur Ashe Stadium NYC boasts a seating capacity of 23,771 which is nearly double that of RLA!

CEO Craig Tiley was saying that the worldwide TV audience was over the 1 billion mark as well!

Yes Arthur Ashe Stadium NYC boasts a seating capacity of 23,771 which is nearly double that of RLA!

CEO Craig Tiley was saying that the worldwide TV audience was over the 1 billion mark as well!
World tv viewership figures are always pretty rubberly.

In saying that, Zheng, A Chinese woman, making the women's final would probably have made this the most watch Aus Open for half a decade.

World tv viewership figures are always pretty rubberly.

In saying that, Zheng, A Chinese woman, making the women's final would probably have made this the most watch Aus Open for half a decade.
I would also think that India reaching a world cup cricket final would have a TV audience of will over a billion

Network 10 has categorically refuted claims suggesting it is considering terminating its broadcast agreement with A-League Football prematurely.

A couple of interesting things in that article...

$12m pa in.production costs
Multiple penalties paid for not hitting subscription targets

No wonder they're broke. At what point does the quality of broadcasts drop to keep costs low because it's not worth the income coming in?

No wonder they're broke. At what point does the quality of broadcasts drop to keep costs low because it's not worth the income coming in?
some people would say the quality of the broadcast (and app) has never been up to scratch.

The money from Paramount is good, but that is about it. The reach is not there for either party. The A-league is not getting new subs for Paramount+ nor is Paramount+ bringing in the fans to watch the matches. Paramount needs more football content and either go all in on football or not at all. There is too much soccer competition to just offer one product.

Honestly, though it would blow a black hole in the A-league, they both need to move on. And then they either need to go with a Kayo product(fox and the like) or go to another sub-service which has existing soccer products (Optus(EPL) or Stan(UCL) BEIN(Europe)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup

The deal was sold at the time as exceeding the preceding fox deal after it was renegotiated down from $60m to $32m ......but that turned out to be a load of bollocks

Firstly, the Contra was flagged to be substantially higher than previously and heavily front ended (i.e. the first season or two).
There was also an equity component thrown in (sold to the gullible as "skin in the game") and a (we are told now favourable) option to extend
Then later it is revealed that $12m in production costs is shifted back on to the APL (unlike previous deals where the rights holder pays for production).
Then we find out there are substantial penalties for failure to meet subscription targets are being implemented

The actual net cash tv rights component must have a 1 in front of it at best

They should have taken what ever fox was offering

Yup

The deal was sold at the time as exceeding the preceding fox deal after it was renegotiated down from $60m to $32m ......but that turned out to be a load of bollocks

Firstly, the Contra was flagged to be substantially higher than previously and heavily front ended (i.e. the first season or two).
There was also an equity component thrown in (sold to the gullible as "skin in the game") and a (we are told now favourable) option to extend
Then later it is revealed that $12m in production costs is shifted back on to the APL (unlike previous deals where the rights holder pays for production).
Then we find out there are substantial penalties for failure to meet subscription targets are being implemented

The actual net cash tv rights component must have a 1 in front of it at best

They should have taken what ever fox was offering
Yep the APL, A League and Soccer in Australia are all in a world of pain that seems unending and losing to South Korea in the Asian Cup was another blow as the soccer media in Australia had the Socceroos as favourites and raving how they could go all the way.

It will be interesting to see how long US media giant Paramount is prepared to back this PR, financial and ratings disaster for.

Last edited:
Exclusive: The financial disaster at the Melbourne Rebels' is double previous estimates, with the club's long-term future in doubt as debts hit $20 million. It can also be revealed that Victorian taxpayers are forking out $50,000 each time the Rebels play at AAMI Stadium.Herald Sun today.

I wonder how much longer the State govt will prop up this unwanted RU club that cannot even pay its rent on AAMI Stadium?

Exclusive: The financial disaster at the Melbourne Rebels' is double previous estimates, with the club's long-term future in doubt as debts hit $20 million. It can also be revealed that Victorian taxpayers are forking out $50,000 each time the Rebels play at AAMI Stadium.Herald Sun today.

I wonder how much longer the State govt will prop up this unwanted RU club that cannot even pay its rent on AAMI Stadium?
Yes agree with you that taxpayers money shouldn't be used to prop up any sport

Last edited:
Yes agree with you that taxpayers money shouldn't be used to prop up any sport
What about Olympic sports? Most rely wholly on government funding.

But I agree , in the case the Rebels add very little to Melbourne’s culture nor sporting landscape and should be given no further funding. It is a sport for private schoolboys and it will always exist in some form. The Rebels are a massive fail.

What about Olympic sports? Most rely wholly on government funding.

But I agree , in the case the Rebels add very little to Melbourne’s culture nor sporting landscape and should be given no further funding. It is a sport for private schoolboys and it will always exist in some form. The Rebels are a massive fail.
Same applies in my eyes.
They should look and find private sponsors, if they can't tough.
Taxpayers money shouldn't be used to bankroll sports.
If sports clubs are relying on taxpayers money and not their own, perhaps they should reduce the amount they pay they players and if the players don't like let them get real jobs and live in the real world.

Same applies in my eyes.
They should look and find private sponsors, if they can't tough.
Taxpayers money shouldn't be used to bankroll sports.
If sports clubs are relying on taxpayers money and not their own, perhaps they should reduce the amount they pay they players and if the players don't like let them get real jobs and live in the real world.
User should always pay? I disagree. Things that are good for society like sports, the arts, etc, need to be subsidised.

Like a student loan. If they use taxpayers money they should be made to pay it back

You realise that HECs is a contribution (i.e. there is a goverment funded component?). And HECs itself is interest free in real terms and only payable after you have achieved a certain income level?

Governments partner and contribute to both for profit and not for profit organisations all the time where substantial broader economic, social and / or cultural value is produced by the investment.

You realise that HECs is a contribution (i.e. there is a goverment funded component?). And HECs itself is interest free in real terms and only payable after you have achieved a certain income level?

Governments partner and contribute to both for profit and not for profit organisations all the time where substantial broader economic, social and / or cultural value is produced by the investment.
What happens when there is no cultural value produced by the Investment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back