Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be missing something but from a code broader health perspective, why bother? Surely the NRL are best to grow their footprint by growing into growth markets?
There are alot of disaffected Bears supporters that were burnt by their teams kicking out the comp about 25 years ago. I suppose they are trying to recapture those people.

There are alot of disaffected Bears supporters that were burnt by their teams kicking out the comp about 25 years ago. I suppose they are trying to recapture those people.
Yes, I’ve read quite a bit about that over the years but you could argue a parallel by being Fizriy back. Disaffected supporters certainly, but it’s a saturated market with Manly Sea Eagles adjacent. I just don’t see how this is making the most of the next license from a game growth perspective. Sentimental yes, but strategically waste to me..

I'm not sure where that would fit into the NRL future plans.
The NRL recently said about going to 20 teams within 10 years, and i would have thought that 2 of them teams would be in Queensland and the other one in New Zealand, but who knows.

People can argue the toss about value but this is an example of how public support of elite sports programs can be justified

Support for such an initiative yes, but it doesn't really justify support for professional player wages.

1707788569799.png

Tuesday, 13 February 2024

Super Bowl Monday a touchdown for Seven
Reaches 2.7 million, up 43% on 2023. Live streaming soars 128%

The Seven Network’s massive live and free broadcast of the Super Bowl LVIII was a runaway hit with viewers yesterday, as the Kansas City Chiefs’ thrilling overtime victory over the San Francisco 49ers reached 2.7 million Australians across Seven and 7plus. The game itself reached 2.55 million.

The most anticipated Super Bowl in recent memory, both on and off the field with the arrival of Chiefs Tight End Travis Kelce’s megastar girlfriend Taylor Swift, had an average national total TV audience of 800,000, up 67% on last year.

BVOD viewing alone soared. The live stream on 7plus delivered 128% growth year-on-year with 37.7 million minutes streamed.

Managing Director Seven Melbourne and Head of Network Sport, Lewis Martin, said: “The biggest stars on the biggest stage, in front of record audiences: Super Bowl LVIII on Seven and 7plus had it all.

“Super Bowl is one of the world’s greatest sporting spectacles, and while we think our American friends can take a leaf or two out of our AFL broadcasting playbook, Seven’s NFL coverage only keeps growing, smashing last year’s already strong audience record across broadcast and digital.”

Seven West Media Chief Digital Officer, Gereurd Roberts, said: “The Super Bowl is yet another excellent example of 7plus’ power to bring mass cultural moments – from around the world – live and free to all Australians.

“This year’s massive numbers are a testament to both Australians’ appetite for digital sport content delivered where and how they want it, and the power of a market-leading user experience that takes them inside the heart-racing moments shaping the global sport and culture conversation.”

Monday Superbowl #TVRatingsAU
Total TV 800,000 (average)
BVOD 117,000
Reach 2.547m
#1 Top Ranked Australian program by reach (viewers who watched for at least 1 minute)
#9 Top Ranked by average

Postgame
Total TV 769,000
BVOD 104,000
Reach 1.201m
#10 ranked by average
#12 ranked by reach

Subscription tv - ESPN/Foxtel ratings unknown.
Data: VOZ

Support for such an initiative yes, but it doesn't really justify support for professional player wages.
Yep, the initiative seems good but the article states that it's five schools and they've graduated, quote, "dozens" of players. It's not as if it's leaving a deep imprint if you're bragging about "dozens".

With the recent talk of the Superbowl and how big NFL is becoming in general worldwide (like all American culture, regardless of quality). I decided to take a look at the comparison of NFL to the AFL's in country dominance.

TV

Firstly the Superbowl beats the AFL grand final comfortably in ratings. The NFL drew in approx 1/3rd of the population, the AFL grand final approx 1/5th of the population.

Taylor swift, a prime time game and A class entertainment helps, my experience having lived there is the Superbowl draws in women for the entertainment and funnily enough the commercials, but women don't actually watch the sport much outside of the superbowl (again no data on this just personal experience). The sport is definitely the most popular in the country, even from just a household, bar chat, banter perspective (again just personal experience, i haven't looked this up but from memory stats back this up with the NBA in second place).

REVENUE

Please excuse me if my calculations are completely wrong on this, maths isn't my strong point, however all NFL revenue seems to include the 32 clubs, AFL revenue means the league, not including the 18 clubs. So after a bit of searching around, I worked out.

All NFL revenue $18 billion USD
All AFL revenue approx $1.6 billion AUD

NFL 32 clubs
AFL 18 clubs

U.S population approx 350 mill
Australia population approx 25 mill

NFL has 32 teams compared to the AFL 18 teams. So if the AFL had 32 teams as well, annual revenue would be around $2.8 billion.

The U.S has around 14x our population of Australia, so x the AFL's equivalent 32 team revenue by 14, to find the equivalent amount of teams and population if you put the AFL into America. This has the revenue at just over $32 billion aud per year.

Convert aud to u.s dollars to be fair, if both sports were operating in the u.s with the same amount of clubs in the competition.

The AFL per capita revenue:
Approx $21 billion per year

The NFL per capita revenue:
$18 billion per year.

Again I could be way off and missing something in my calculations, but if correct that's really impressive when you look at it like that for the AFL in Australia.

Especially considering the now global reach of the NFL and the fact it is truly national and doesn't have two states with 50 percent of the population holding the game back from over all national dominance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the recent talk of the Superbowl and how big NFL is becoming in general worldwide (like all American culture, regardless of quality). I decided to take a look at the comparison of NFL to the AFL's in country dominance.

TV

Firstly the Superbowl beats the AFL grand final comfortably in ratings. The NFL drew in approx 1/3rd of the population, the AFL grand final approx 1/5th of the population.

Taylor swift, a prime time game and A class entertainment helps, my experience having lived there is the Superbowl draws in women for the entertainment and funnily enough the commercials, but women don't actually watch the sport much outside of the superbowl (again no data on this just personal experience). The sport is definitely the most popular in the country, even from just a household, bar chat, banter perspective (again just personal experience, i haven't looked this up but from memory stats back this up with the NBA in second place).

REVENUE

Please excuse me if my calculations are completely wrong on this, maths isn't my strong point, however all NFL revenue seems to include the 32 clubs, AFL revenue means the league, not including the 18 clubs. So after a bit of searching around, I worked out.

NFL 32 clubs
AFL 18 clubs

NFL has 32 teams compared to the AFL 18 teams. So if the AFL had 32 teams as well, annual revenue would be around $2.8 billion.

The U.S has around 14x our population of Australia, so x the AFL's equivalent 32 team revenue by 14, to find the equivalent amount of teams and population if you put the AFL into America. This has the revenue at just over $32 billion aud per year.

Convert aud to u.s dollars to be fair, if both sports were operating in the u.s with the same amount of clubs in the competition.

$18 billion per year.

Again I could be way off and missing something in my calculations, but if correct that's really impressive when you look at it like that for the AFL in Australia.

Especially considering the now global reach of the NFL and the fact it is truly national and doesn't have two states with 50 percent of the population holding the game back from over all national dominance.
I dont think calculating per capita is that easy. Or even something you can do with the data we have. As you say, they greatly differ in what the clubs and leagues earn, so the reporting is a bit iffy. Also, one is a non-profit and the other is a private company with billionaire owners. That also muddles things. Perhaps a simpler method, like Facebook likes or something in that ballpark would make a better comparison, even if that is flawed by its simplicity.

I will say, the NFL also has to deal with a strong independent 2nd tier comp, in the NCAA. So, it might be national, it doesn't monopolise the code in a way the AFL does. This is especially true in states with no NFL team, like Alabama or Oregon.

TV

REVENUE

NFL 32 clubs
AFL 18 clubs

$18 billion per year.

It doesn't end there for the NFL there is talk that the next NFL franchise COULD BE London, which has a population of around 9 million people and the UK has a population of North of 60 million, and the games in London at Tottenham and Wembley stadium sell out within a day or so.
Correct me I'm wrong but didn't the NFL also apart from London play games in Germany and Mexico last year that would
have been sell outs as well?

It doesn't end there for the NFL there is talk that the next NFL franchise COULD BE London, which has a population of around 9 million people and the UK has a population of North of 60 million, and the games in London at Tottenham and Wembley stadium sell out within a day or so.
Correct me I'm wrong but didn't the NFL also apart from London play games in Germany and Mexico last year that would

Yes but I'm talking strictly national. Anything American has the benefit of going around the world because they rule the worlds culture, just like with the brits before them. Here being a population and location backwater, unfortunately our game will never get seen or heard of internationally, despite it being a great product. If the yanks invented afl, it'd be global by now, similar to basketball imo.

That's right talk it up but no crying about taxpayers' money funding their elite stadiums and infrastructure here.

Wonder why troll boy.

Yes but I'm talking strictly national. Anything American has the benefit of going around the world because they rule the worlds culture, just like with the brits before them. Here being a population and location backwater, unfortunately our game will never get seen or heard of internationally, despite it being a great product. If the yanks invented afl, it'd be global by now, similar to basketball imo.
Yes if it wasn't for the Brits there wouldn't be any AFL for sure with the game played on Cricket ovals, and Rugby shaped balls. We do owe them a great debt.

Yes if it wasn't for the Brits there wouldn't be any AFL for sure with the game played on Cricket ovals, and Rugby shaped balls. We do owe them a great debt.

You seem to hate the game, every positive spoken about it you're quick to jump on the keyboard and write a retort, it's strange behaviour.

You seem to hate the game, every positive spoken about it you're quick to jump on the keyboard and write a retort, it's strange behaviour.
You will find many positives about the game from me, but i point out facts that some posters don't like.
Look at my pro Canberra posts for starters

Dunno if you've realised, but there are only round and oval balls, did you want them to play with a square shaped ball? Lol. Plus the game was played in parks and paddocks originally. Do we need to thank the English for inventing grass too?

Dunno if you've realised, but there are only round and oval balls, did you want them to play with a square shaped ball? Lol. Plus the game was played in parks and paddocks originally. Do we need to thank the English for inventing grass too?
Just pointing out facts.

No idea what attracts people to that sport. Each to their own I guess.
And the last thing it should be called is football as the ball only gets kicked as few times during the actual playing time of 10 - 12 minutes it is more like throw ball as that is the way it is passed by players most of the time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back