Delisted #28: Alastair Lord - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Alastair Lord​

Key stats: One goal, nine disposals

"'Lordy' was good. He's learning to play our brand of football. A couple of times his man beat him out the back, and then he reacted and learnt from that, so the next time he was in that situation, he made sure he didn't let his man get out the back. He's a quick learner and kicked a beautiful running goal from outside 50. He's showing some good signs."

I’m enjoying that he’s pretty immediately as advertised, nice and clean, is quick, plays quick, always takes the game forward.

Refreshing given our experiences with some others who didn’t demonstrate the attributes we were all told they had.

The fact that he was almost born in 2004 is absolutely ****ing feral though, if you’re born in 2004, I consider you to be about 10.

Last edited:
I’m enjoying that he’s pretty immediately as advertised, nice and clean, is quick, plays quick, always takes the game forward.

Refreshing given our experiences with some others who didn’t demonstrate the attributes we were all told they had.

The fact that he was almost born in 2004 is absolutely ****ing feral though, if you’re born in 2004, I consider you to be about 10.
We arrrrreeee ooooolllllddddd!!!

I recall reading that it was thought Lord would be able to play at AFL level reasonably early. Good to hear he learns quickly. Maybe a debut this year is not out of the question.
At this point in time we'd have to have a catastrophic amount of injuries for him to get a game this year.

His stats over the past 3 VFL games are 7, 7, 9. Not reading too great and he has shown very little imo. At this point in time he seems like Brayden Hams younger brother.

... but he's our youngest kid on the list so this year is just about getting him through the VFL and see if he can build and maybe become a good player there before being thrown to the wolves at AFL level.

Didn't realise he was the youngest or Ham-like. I don't mind; if he is able to play at the level and he understands the system they're trying to implement, bring him in.

I daresay reckon he's thicker than Ham.

At this point in time we'd have to have a catastrophic amount of injuries for him to get a game this year.

His stats over the past 3 VFL games are 7, 7, 9. Not reading too great and he has shown very little imo. At this point in time he seems like Brayden Hams younger brother.

... but he's our youngest kid on the list so this year is just about getting him through the VFL and see if he can build and maybe become a good player there before being thrown to the wolves at AFL level.

Your positivity always makes my day.

The attributes say “yes”

The stats say “later”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alastair Lord​

Key stats: One goal, 15 disposals, three marks

"'Lordy' got a little bit of the ball again as a half-back. His run and carry was good, and he set us up a fair bit out of defence. Defensively he was a lot better this week. He was all over his man, so not a bad game from Lordy."

Alastair Lord

Key stats: 15 disposals, two clearances

"His first half was really good from an offence point of view, giving us some really good run and drive off half-back and breaking the lines. He's only a very young player and is still working on getting the balance right between attack and defence, so he's still learning and getting feedback around that."

Alastair Lord​

Key stats: Eight disposals, five tackles, two marks

"'Lordy' has been practising getting to more contests in attack and defence. I thought he did that very well. It was his best tackling game. He made some really good decisions to blitz the ball carrier and it really worked for him, so it was a step forward for him. Having Nick Hind down there to help with positioning and guidance really worked for him."

Alastair Lord​

Key stats: Eight disposals, five tackles, two marks

"'Lordy' has been practising getting to more contests in attack and defence. I thought he did that very well. It was his best tackling game. He made some really good decisions to blitz the ball carrier and it really worked for him, so it was a step forward for him. Having Nick Hind down there to help with positioning and guidance really worked for him."

Have to commend him on the effort to dress up an eight-touch game.

I don’t know how to put this nicely, but hasn’t he looked miles off it in the VFL?

There have been some flashes of quick pace and breaking away. Hopefully we see it tonight, but could just as easily be caught with the step up in pace from VFL. He is working on a few things like consistency. He is doing well for a 1st year, but not ready for a debut just yet if we had a choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back