Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

First game I haven't watched for years, fortunately I guess. It's a bit hard to chuck on the replay knowing we don't score a goal in a half. But very happy to hear Kav did well. Better keep his spot.

Agree with the comments of Jack and Yoda in particular.

Last night was particularly significant because he translated his VFL game directly into AFL. It looked like a particularly sound defensive game and he still showed glimpses of his class and creativity in congestion.

Remember that he has only just turned 22. He will fill out and develop the strength to play as a centre square midfielder. Its excellent that he has been able to round out his game to this extent.

The return of Watson should not really impact him because he played as a defensive wing and we dont have anyone that does that.

Last edited:
He showed last night why he tested well for clean hands in his draft. And it was not rushed, it looked smooth and flowing.

A couple of times where he just put it on his boot in hope but who didn't last night

Had a good game and showed the signs he's going to be a league player. Put him in every week and watch him improve even more.

Getting the ball onto the boot to clear it out of congestion is not really about decision making. Sometimes there is no alternative.

Decision making will always be an issue. Showed enough to make me happy.

Decision making will always be an issue. Showed enough to make me happy.

Just needs lots of games in to get his mind in sync with the speed of play at afl level.

He's about 80% there atm and rising quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting the ball onto the boot to clear it out of congestion is not really about decision making. Sometimes there is no alternative.

Agree and the lack of work back the other way from his team mates compounded the problem on the night so you can not blame him for that.

Really happy with what I saw, lived up to the potential he has shown on and off when I have defended him. Too bad I chose to jump off his wagon but I will be wrapped to be proven very wrong with a few things I have said about him not making it.

Watched the first half again and his game was a little overrated based on his stats. We all want some miracle to happen and praise him when he touches the ball.

We are kidding ourselves if we think he's going to be an intergral part of a midfield setup that gets us to play finals consistently.

Maybe Kav just keeps Hocking out of the side?
Hocking in, Melksham out. Kav deserves a 5 week run now to show what he can do. As we build the middle back up with Jobe, Myers, Zaka, Hocking, let him find his role in that mix. Kav, Jobe, Myers, Hocking at the contested ball. Heppell, Goddard, Merrett with the outside class. Zaka, Colyer, Fantasia with the run.

Disappointing first half and okay in the second half.

He's the silent assassin. His involvements are that much better on the replay because on the replay you pause and rewind to confirm that the quality handball in traffic or the pinpoint kick out of congestion straight to a team mate is him. He is quite often an important link in the chain of possessions leading to scores because of his vision and the quality of his ball use.

If he can add 4 to 5 kgs and maintain the run he has built over the last pre-season I'm convinced that he can be a seriously good inside midfielder/200 game player.

Last edited:
Disappointing first half and okay in the second half.

He's the silent assassin. His involvements are that much better on the replay because on the replay you realise that the quality handball in traffic or the pinpoint kick out of congestion straight to a team mate is him. He is quite often an important link in the chain of possessions leading to scores because of his vision and the quality of his ball use.

If he can add 4 to 5 kgs and maintain the run he has built over the last pre-season I'm convinced that he can be a seriously good inside midfielder/200 game player.
Really does need those extra kgs, but if he's only now finally built the engine required, will he ever be able to maintain that as well as the extra weight? time will tell but I am sceptical

Really does need those extra kgs, but if he's only now finally built the engine required, will he ever be able to maintain that as well as the extra weight? time will tell but I am sceptical

He's just turned 22. He was always a 'project' player because of injury history.

It's been a frustrating slow build but he's tracking fairly normally for most players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back