Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

God the thread title changes put the pressure on.

tumblr_lmgm37JU4I1qgq0u6o1_250.gif

Is it worth mentioning that last week I caught up with a mate who sees a little of Jobe and Gumby?

Make of it what you will but I'm told Gumby considers his back "cured". This is supported by medical advice and it is not considered likely that there will be ongoing issues or weaknesses. This is hardly news but apparently it wasn't until they could identify the issue that it could be resolved. I think it was a second opinion. My understanding is that the issue is not genetic or degenerative so, rather than being like a repair of a joint or ligament it is more like he has taken medicine and is cured.

I'm not going to be shocked if this is the end of his injury woes. Obviously I cannot predict a soft tissue or impact injury but as it stands I'm not expecting future back related problems.
Rubbish.

Firstly, I recognise the hamstring issues he's had has been related to his back. But he's torn his hammy how many times? You'd need at least 2 hands to count it. He may not have those back issues any more, but the number 1 risk factor for future hammy strains is what? Past hammy strains. His hammys will have a heap of scar tissue which will always put him at risk.

Secondly, the surgery that has fixed him up, found adhesions which was causing the issue. Where were those adhesions from? Previous surgery. The fact is, surgery is not a non-invasive procedure like "taking medicine" and once you've had it, things are just never quite the same, because things like this happen. Who's to say there won't be more issues?

I'm not saying there's no chance hell have a good run with injuries from here on in, but to say that its like he's taken some medicine is very wide of the mark.

Rubbish.

Firstly, I recognise the hamstring issues he's had has been related to his back. But he's torn his hammy how many times? You'd need at least 2 hands to count it. He may not have those back issues any more, but the number 1 risk factor for future hammy strains is what? Past hammy strains. His hammys will have a heap of scar tissue which will always put him at risk.

Secondly, the surgery that has fixed him up, found adhesions which was causing the issue. Where were those adhesions from? Previous surgery. The fact is, surgery is not a non-invasive procedure like "taking medicine" and once you've had it, things are just never quite the same, because things like this happen. Who's to say there won't be more issues?

I'm not saying there's no chance hell have a good run with injuries from here on in, but to say that its like he's taken some medicine is very wide of the mark.

For a start there have been no hamstring issues since the surgery. In fact, I don't recall frequent hamstring tears ever really being an issue let alone in the last few years. He may have had tightness or stiffness which you'd think is undoubtedly back related but he has had nothing like the run Myers or Hooker have had with their hamstrings.

Second, you've even highlighted the "more like" part. I used the medicine analogy to address the idea that he is still just as prone to falling apart because of his history. What I probably should have done is contrasted it with him being on a second or third knee reco. There was a problem that hadn't been correctly identified so it hadn't been addressed. A virtually clean bill of health since the last surgery tends to confirm as much.

Anyway, do you seriously think anyone would consider surgery as non-invasive? If I thought one other person would take it the wrong way from here I'd edit it out of my post.

The mozz was certainly put on him...this has ruined my summer

#shattered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a start there have been no hamstring issues since the surgery. In fact, I don't recall frequent hamstring tears ever really being an issue let alone in the last few years. He may have had tightness or stiffness which you'd think is undoubtedly back related but he has had nothing like the run Myers or Hooker have had with their hamstrings.

Second, you've even highlighted the "more like" part. I used the medicine analogy to address the idea that he is still just as prone to falling apart because of his history. What I probably should have done is contrasted it with him being on a second or third knee reco. There was a problem that hadn't been correctly identified so it hadn't been addressed. A virtually clean bill of health since the last surgery tends to confirm as much.

Anyway, do you seriously think anyone would consider surgery as non-invasive? If I thought one other person would take it the wrong way from here I'd edit it out of my post.
Your recall is off in regards to Gumbleton and hamstring issues.
Yes, it was clear what your analogy was referring to. And I believe it is rubbish. Half a season playing most games is hardly confirmation he is "cured". He may get a better run at it and hopefully so, but I'd be surprised if he's not injury prone for the remainder of his career.

EDIT: Didn't see the latest on Gumby's hammy when I wrote this... They should probably just give him some medicine...

The update on the efc website seems to suggest it isn't too bad.

Was just gonna say the same thing, the afl article explicitly says strain, could still be a bad strain, but some strains can be very minor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back