Retired #34: Andrew Phillips - Retiring at the end of the 2023 season - 8/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, his opponents don't adapt and continue to tap the ball to him.

He's not going to contest the ruck, so
clear the effing ball out of the area to neutralise the outnumber (created by Finlayson not contesting).
Flip was fine but you are right….he hit the ball straight to Finlayson more then a few times. Think it was only when we were 3 goals down in the last that he started just punching the bloody thing.

I had him close to the votes to be honest. Was very, very good despite the discount against an undersized Finlayson and debutant Visentini
Very good as he had to be when he learnt he was going head to head with Finlayson. Not knocking him as he owned it deserves another year contract.

Very good as he had to be when he learnt he was going head to head with Finlayson. Not knocking him as he owned it deserves another year contract.
It wasnt just the hit outs, thought he was really instrumental in general play during our come back in the last quarter. Really used his size to block and clear paths for our mids to win contested ground ball. Think I recall him even pointing at some of the smalls telling them where to go.

Finally took a few contested grabs down the line on the weekend which was good to see. A few more of those this week please.

Happy Stand Up GIF by The Warrior Queen of Jhansi
He’s a ******* warhorse. I love him.

Flip was fine but you are right….he hit the ball straight to Finlayson more then a few times. Think it was only when we were 3 goals down in the last that he started just punching the bloody thing.
Yep. We did not make the most of his hit outs and also rucks tend to get a bit too cute when they think they have an advantage and start making s**t up on the jump.

Yep. We did not make the most of his hit outs and also rucks tend to get a bit too cute when they think they have an advantage and start making s**t up on the jump.
If you’ve got a huge ruck advantage in the middlethe aim should be to smash the ball forward as far as possible imo. Take the 20 extra meters and start the play from well inside your front half. Also takes away the quick clearance opportunity for the oppo.

If you’ve got a huge ruck advantage in the middlethe aim should be to smash the ball forward as far as possible imo. Take the 20 extra meters and start the play from well inside your front half.
Agree. There was one season when I was coaching as an assistant at under 18 level that we had a young bloke who dominated the ruck because he was 198cm and could jump . His tap work was not always great so a lot of the time I had him just smashing it forward and had our best midfielder line up at CHF . Real basic stuff but it worked a treat :)

Agree. There was one season when I was coaching as an assistant at under 18 level that we had a young bloke who dominated the ruck because he was 198cm and could jump . His tap work was not always great so a lot of the time I had him just smashing it forward and had our best midfielder line up at CHF . Real basic stuff but it worked a treat :)
Just went back and forced myself to watch the last qtr, and Phillips started doing it. So much more of an advantage that soft taps that the opposition still might win.

Finally took a few contested grabs down the line on the weekend which was good to see. A few more of those this week please.
Was good to see him clunk a few.

Contested marks down the line is one of the areas we need fixing. It is a massive part of the game that all top sides excel in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok i take it all back. shithouse game today. gets a rush of blood to the head every time he's near the ball. that's not what a mature ruckman ought to bring. hack kicks, limbs flailing, was a bit embarrassing

Dumbest thing I’ve seen in a while. Know Draper is out for an extended period, minute left game over and do that. Embarrassing and not good enough

Can’t complain if he gets a week. Literally bumped the guy in the head.

Not the “worst” thing in the world either if he misses a week. Phillips now basically rucking one out, and from here we go 6 day break into Geelong into a 6 day break against Dogs. I personally think we’re more of a chance against dogs than cats as well. Plus, would mean Bryan finally gets a full game.

Can’t complain if he gets a week. Literally bumped the guy in the head.

Not the “worst” thing in the world either if he misses a week. Phillips now basically rucking one out, and from here we go 6 day break into Geelong into a 6 day break against Dogs. I personally think we’re more of a chance against dogs than cats as well. Plus, would mean Bryan finally gets a full game.
Phillips must be in career best form right now. Has been great over the last few weeks.

But we all know he benefits from a spell.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed. Gave away the 50 for not standing in the last quarter and was lucky not to give away another one a couple of minutes later for wandering off the mark as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back