Delisted #41: Cian McBride ☘️ - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Been able to cross-train with the forwards coach and Andy McGrath while in iso. Should be out of iso tomorrow.

Essendon will spend its second week in Noosa ahead of its clash with the Swans, with quarantined players Andrew McGrath and Cian McBride set to rejoin their teammates on Wednesday.

“It’s been a challenging environment – very different for them (McGrath and McBride),” he said.

“They’ve actually been able to get together and do that quarantine along with [assistant coach] Dan Jordan. ‘DJ’ loves to work hard on the bike and everything else, so they’ve actually been a really good group to have together. They’ve been motivating each other and they’ve certainly done a lot of cross-training as they haven’t been able to get out and have a run.

Cian McBride and Tom Hird have re-signed to the Bombers’ Category B rookie list, remaining in the red and black until at least the end of 2022.

Arriving at the NEC Hangar from alternative sporting pathways, Irishman McBride was a talented Gaelic footballer while Hird came from an international soccer background.

McBride committed to the Bombers in October 2019, while Hird joined as a Category B rookie in March 2020.

Both have been honing their craft through the Bombers’ VFL campaign in season 2021.

McBride said he was appreciative of the opportunity to continue at the Bombers.

“I’m excited to remain at the Bombers and grateful for the faith they’ve shown in me to continue my AFL career,” McBride said.

“This off-season is going to be a real opportunity to put in some really hard training which I’m really looking forward to, and working with the coaches. I know what I have to work on.”

General manager of list and recruiting Adrian Dodoro said the club was excited to see the growth and development of the pair in 2022.

“We feel both Cian and Tom have a lot to offer and having missed considerable development opportunities last year due to COVID, we are pleased to offer them both another opportunity,” Dodoro said.

“Both have dealt with respective injuries at different times this year but Cian as a key forward and Tom as a small midfielder have natural talent we’re looking to cultivate.

“With a substantial phase of development ahead of them in the club’s upcoming pre-season campaign, we hope they can give themselves every chance next season to feature in league football games.”

Last edited by a moderator:

You think he'd be getting a gig soon. I'm keen to see what he can do. Looks to have put on a decent amount of muscle in his time at the club.

He has another 2 years as a Cat B rookie now.

He has pace and he hoofs it. I'm hoping he works on getting up the ground a lot more next year to be more of a between the arcs man

He has another 2 years as a Cat B rookie now.

He has pace and he hoofs it. I'm hoping he works on getting up the ground a lot more next year to be more of a between the arcs man
I think he was originally Category A rookie with McQuillan as the Cat B Irishman. I guess this confirms they successfully moved him to the Cat B list (which we sort of suspected anyway).

If McBride made it as a forward it would solve a lot of problems for us. That said I think there is always the risk of the go home factor unfortunately and with COVID I think that risk is higher than ever.

I saw a bit of him in the VFL this year and he definitely has something but its unclear to me where it translates to AFL level.

Presented a guernsey to our newest Irish Don, Joanne Doonan (previously played for Carlton in the AFLW).

She went home to Ireland due to covid and is now back in Aus playing for the Essendon VFLW team, just arrived in Melbourne and played for us for the first time today - where Cian presented her guernsey. 😊

Presented a guernsey to our newest Irish Don, Joanne Doonan (previously played for Carlton in the AFLW).

She went home to Ireland due to covid and is now back in Aus playing for the Essendon VFLW team, just arrived in Melbourne and played for us for the first time today - where Cian presented her guernsey. 😊

AFLW signee potentially?

Played the old school CHB then ruck on the weekend. He's got good hands and did a reasonable job against Daw, but hoping that we swap him and Eyre again because I think Eyre looks better as a defender and McBride better as a forward (and ruck).

Also, MY BOY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played the old school CHB then ruck on the weekend. He's got good hands and did a reasonable job against Daw, but hoping that we swap him and Eyre again because I think Eyre looks better as a defender and McBride better as a forward (and ruck).

Also, MY BOY
how's his kicking?
the irish lads may be unorthodox, but they tend to kick well from the ones i've seen make AFL.

accurately? i.e have we seen any set shots?
i could get onboard McBride as #3 behind Wright and Jones.

And if he's adequate as 2nd ruck (meaning Peter "Carey" Wright doesn't need to), could be handy

Peter Carey?

96HOF0200.jpg

448 excellent games in the ruck for Glenelg

accurately? i.e have we seen any set shots?
i could get onboard McBride as #3 behind Wright and Jones.

And if he's adequate as 2nd ruck (meaning Peter "Carey" Wright doesn't need to), could be handy
Pretty good set shot.

Also, MY BOY
Did not do too bad on the weekend.

If this guy was a stock now is the time to buy.

His game looks like it has really come together. He's been very strong over head, his reading of the flight of the ball has really come together. Been very clean at ground level, too.

He has this great Irish naivete about the way he plays. He's a big, powerful guy and he uses it to great advantage edit: in a very uncomplicated and, given his size, unconventional way.

Last edited:

Cian McBride​

Key stats: 11 disposals, five marks, 10 hitouts

"Cian had a great game. He was one of our best players. He defended, he beat his man one-on-one, he came off to help the other defenders when they were in trouble, and made good decisions when he had the ball. He went from centre half-back to ruck when we had to give Nick Bryan a rest, and had a real hot crack. He's had a fantastic start to the year."

Coming along really well. His ruck work has been decent and has been taking a few really strong marks in the back half. Is not just a plodder either. He can get around the ground.

He's definitely gotten better at the defensive stuff. Thought he'd settled as a forward/ruck last year but it seems they've flipped him again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back