A game a round requiring online subscription?

Remove this Banner Ad

If its ADSL it depends how far from the exchange you are. Im right on the border so i get 1.2Mps if im lucky, I cant watch a youtube video on 360p without having to pause it and wait 5 mins and Im 20 mins from the city.

I read somewhere 40% of Aus doesnt have the speed to stream video reliably.

foxtel prices are dropping like nothing ever

we paid $95 a month for sports, docos, food & lifestyle, entertainment.

moved house 3 weeks ago, rent is double what it was so we decided to cancel foxtel.

legitimately called up to cancel, offered us the same package at $45 a month

means you will get sport on its own for peanuts

For my money it simplifies it - it's an app - you have amazing control of this app via a medium to large touchscreen - that you play then push to your tv.

Once you. Get the hang of it it is far superior to any other way I've tried.

I agree it's easy, but it's easier just to turn my TV on and choose the channel I want to watch.

moved house 3 weeks ago, rent is double what it was so we decided to cancel foxtel.

12 months ago I was telling all you Foxtel lickers how badly you were being bent over compared to pay tv worldwide.

Some of you argued at what a great deal it was

Stockholm syndrome much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect this may be the start of club based subscriptions, where a viewer would pay $X per season for a certain club's games. A lot of people wouldn't mind that, since they may only be interested in games featuring the team they follow.

If that happens I'm in

I am living in the UK and I subscribe to the live AFL internet service and have done for since 2012. I get all games live and all replays to watch when I want (I time shift a lot of games). The quality is not TV HD standard, its something around or just a little less than standard def I think, but pretty close. The standard is set by the AFL internet people as I can stream at HD (with unlimmited fibre optic cable) so I can see the quality difference. I also notice that some higher traffic games have to be watched at a lower resolution to stop the buffering, but that has become less common.
The point is that it is coming and it will get better - but know this, it will get more expensive over time. Each year the subscription gets more. Was stupid cheap in 2012, I think 2014 was about $150 for the season.
For the producers I think the advertising oportunity is less that Foxtel can provide - so that is a big competative advantage them, for now.
Given the poor internet standards suffered by many in Australia I suspect the critical mass for profitable internet subscription is a long way off.

A subscription to watch my teams games online ? Id be in for that. HD of course

Ps we get a game a round -sat twilight- live on t box already. Plus any game from last five ish years on demand, about 12 hours after the game finishes

Apart from the crap box, this service is good

12 months ago I was telling all you Foxtel lickers how badly you were being bent over compared to pay tv worldwide.

Some of you argued at what a great deal it was

Stockholm syndrome much?

I assume you don't have the internet or mobie phone then because you're getting bent over compared to prices in other countries.

In fact if being cheaper overseas is a reason not to buy something all you could buy is bread and milk.

but why pay for something that was always free? the only reason it become pay-for-view is because some people are selfish and take the game away from their peers.

disgusting.

It was never free, before paytv came in 1995 there was only interstate games live and a delayed friday night. 4 games free and 3 live is the best it's ever been.

I assume you don't have the internet or mobie phone then because you're getting bent over compared to prices in other countries.

In fact if being cheaper overseas is a reason not to buy something all you could buy is bread and milk.

Actually I've just returned from Canada where mobile phones data is hideously expensive - much more so than Australia

Canada is a good country to compare to us as they have a massive land area and small population making mobile networks very expensive

Unlike us though they live fairly densely making fibre installs reasonable

And precisely like us they get paytv via satellite which is a cheap and effective way of getting signal to countries with our population densities

Their pay tv is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
It was never free, before paytv came in 1995 there was only interstate games live and a delayed friday night. 4 games free and 3 live is the best it's ever been.

You had a good chance of seeing your tram live when they travel away. A very good chance. That was the biggest loss

My mum called them up to cancel it, similar thing, she got sport and the norm package for like $20 a month for her last 3 months.

Probably something to do with being a long term subscriber.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back