Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

I saw Lyon start his career, Schwarz ... Neitz.

Hogan is the best talent to walk into our club in 40 years.

Dom Tyson will be saying, I'll sign if Hogan signs". The best players want to stay and play with the best.

Exactly, plus IF he reaches his potential (which is superstar) he is the kind of player sponsors what to be involved with, and fans want to buy his jumper etc, the AFL will schedule games in our favour beacuse neutral fans want to watch him etc etc etc

Agreed.

I saw Lyon start his career, Schwarz ... Neitz.

Hogan is the best talent to walk into our club in 40 years.

Dom Tyson will be saying, "I'll sign if Hogan signs". The best players want to stay and play with the best.

Robbie Flower says you're wrong (actually he wouldn't, he's too modest and he debuted 41 years ago but still).

Going way early on the best talent call but he's certainly good enough to warrant matching whatever anyone offers to keep him.

Robbie Flower says you're wrong (actually he wouldn't, he's too modest and he debuted 41 years ago but still).

Going way early on the best talent call but he's certainly good enough to warrant matching whatever anyone offers to keep him.

Flower is my all time favourite player and didn't debut in the last 40 years, hence my post (which you picked up on).

And yes, I'm going early on Hogan. But happy to back my experience and make the call.

Flower is my all time favourite player and didn't debut in the last 40 years, hence my post (which you picked up on).

And yes, I'm going early on Hogan. But happy to back my experience and make the call.

Fair enough. I think all of Lyon, Schwartz, Tingay, Jakovich and Jurrah were as talented footballers as Hogan looks but time will tell.

Fair enough. I think all of Lyon, Schwartz, Tingay, Jakovich and Jurrah were as talented footballers as Hogan looks but time will tell.

Lyon moved beautifully, was smart, agile, great skills, leader, but a terrible, and I mean terrible, pack mark. Good on the lead though. I rate him down for his pack marking.

Tingay is overrated by Melbourne supporters. Ever see him beat a champion wingman or half-forward ? Chris Mainwaring pantsed him every single time. He was nowhere near the class of Peter Matera, etc.

Jakovich was sublime, but it's hard to rate a 50 game career. He was obviously mercurial, but he was no "power forward".

Jurrah was hugely talented, but also as soft as butter. Great players aren't soft.

Schwarz is the most naturally talented of the players you mention and probably the equal of Hogan's raw talent. Let's hope for better luck.

Last edited:
Jakovich was sublime, but it's hard to rate a 50 game career. He was obviously mercurial, but he was no "power forward".

Not disagreeing with your ratings of the players but theres Jako's 50 games versus the 'most talented' 0 gamer
See the irony?

Lyon moved beautifully, was smart, agile, great skills, leader, but a terrible, and I mean terrible, pack mark. Good on the lead though. I rate him down for his pack marking.

Tingay is overrated by Melbourne supporters. Ever see him beat a champion wingman or half-forward ? Chris Mainwaring pantsed him every single time. He was nowhere near the class of Peter Matera, etc.

Jurrah was hugely talented, but also as soft as butter. Great players aren't soft.

Schwarz is the most naturally talented of the players you mention and probably the equal of Hogan's raw talent. Let's hope for better luck.

No worries. I always thought Tingay was rated up there with Matera but perhaps that was through talking with MFC fans.
In terms of raw talent though, I still maintain that Jurrah, Schwartz and Jakovich are comparable they just didn't realise their full potential for varying reasons. Yes they had flaws, as does Hogan, but they also had freakish abilities the equal of what Hogan has shown. In my opinion.

No worries. I always thought Tingay was rated up there with Matera but perhaps that was through talking with MFC fans.
In terms of raw talent though, I still maintain that Jurrah, Schwartz and Jakovich are comparable they just didn't realise their full potential for varying reasons. Yes they had flaws, as does Hogan, but they also had freakish abilities the equal of what Hogan has shown. In my opinion.

David Schwartz was set to be as good as Wayne Carey till he started doing his knees

I've been criticised for 10 years on forums for being a nay sayer and now I'm a supposed hero worshipper ?

More likely I'm giving a considered opinion.

Take it or leave it. It matters not to me.

Meh I dont really care sometimes I just like playing Devils advocate on these forums :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a better footballer than Hird's when he went down.

The footballing world was worse off for not seeing him realise his potential.

We have almost had superstars who for different reasons just weren't

The wizard has got to be the only small forward to kick 9 in a HALF

The Albanian flyer , had he played for Geelong in their current era he could match Stevie j, he used to regularly kick banana goals from deep

Schwartz obviously played on a quarter of a knee

Then Liam jurrah , that kid could have been anything
You don't kick a goal over your head from 30 every day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back