Abbott wants the Govt to be able to strip citizenship status

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess their citizenship has been stripped, in a way. :thumbsu:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-...arrouf-mohammed-elomar-killed-in-iraq/6565162

"The Federal Government is working to confirm reports that Australia's most infamous terrorists, Khaled Sharrouf and Mohamed Elomar, have been killed while fighting with Islamic State in Iraq.

A person close to one of the men's families told the ABC's 7.30 the pair died in fighting in the city of Mosul, though that could not be immediately confirmed.

It is believed the pair died within the past week, killed by a drone strike."

I guess their citizenship has been stripped, in a way. :thumbsu:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-...arrouf-mohammed-elomar-killed-in-iraq/6565162

"The Federal Government is working to confirm reports that Australia's most infamous terrorists, Khaled Sharrouf and Mohamed Elomar, have been killed while fighting with Islamic State in Iraq.

A person close to one of the men's families told the ABC's 7.30 the pair died in fighting in the city of Mosul, though that could not be immediately confirmed.

It is believed the pair died within the past week, killed by a drone strike."
* me.

60k+ Australians were killed in WWI, and the death of two tossers is news?

The media cycle has a lot to answer for.

I strongly doubt they were killed by drone strikes (if they were indeed killed). The ground attack missions have been surprisingly low per day for whole of theatre. Comes down to very strict ROEs and countries not willing to give up ground spotting targeting(ie western forces eyes on the ground) and not trusting local "friendly" forces to follow same ROEs when calling in strikes.

where does this leave Abbott and his proposed citizenship laws? because it was clearly targeted at these individuals, who are now presumed dead. We have customs to blame for this mess.

where does this leave Abbott and his proposed citizenship laws? because it was clearly targeted at these individuals, who are now presumed dead. We have customs to blame for this mess.

Actually there is no mess; and if there was, the individuals in question are actually to blame for getting themselves killed.

No one forced them to leave.

No one forced them to fight in a war as a non state actor.

I disagreed with the propsed new laws the government tried to get passed; however, I have zero sympathy for any Australian that joins ISIS et al, and gets themselves killed.

Actually there is no mess; and if there was, the individuals in question are actually to blame for getting themselves killed.

No one forced them to leave.

No one forced them to fight in a war as a non state actor.

I disagreed with the propsed new laws the government tried to get passed; however, I have zero sympathy for any Australian that joins ISIS et al, and gets themselves killed.

oh, it was customs ineptness that allowed Sharrouf to leave the country and commit his crimes. Surely his name would've rung alarm bells at the border? obviously not. I understand that nobody forced them to join IS, but we could've prevented them from joining. The good thing out of this is that they did join IS and have now been eliminated.

If ISIS are eliminating our enemy then yes, pay them.
You could get ISIS to run the "resettlement" camps in the Pacific. Tony could help them to set up something with some
of the money we used to spend on foreign aid and science. Then we wouldn't have to pay people smugglers to take refugees from ISIS to other countries we could directly employ ISIS to transport them straight to the camps.
Eventually ISIS could just take over the whole show keeping both Tony happy, he does not have to worry about the inconvenience of an unwanted asylum seeker drowning on his conscience and ISIS could not only make a tidy profit but get to kill all those pesky asylum seekers trying to escape them as well.

You should be an Abbott Government Cabinet Minister....

oh, it was customs ineptness that allowed Sharrouf to leave the country and commit his crimes. Surely his name would've rung alarm bells at the border? obviously not. I understand that nobody forced them to join IS, but we could've prevented them from joining. The good thing out of this is that they did join IS and have now been eliminated.
The bad thing out of this is what do you do with their children now.
I in no way blame the children, but they will have had to have been effected by the life their d=ogshiteating parents led them into.
They will need some very heavy duty counseling at best, if not psychiatric help. Supposing of course they survive to leave the cult.
I assume Abbott is across this as a matter of urgency and is not going to use them as political point-scoring fodder.

I in no way blame the children, but they will have had to have been effected by the life their d=ogshiteating parents led them into.
They will need some very heavy duty counseling at best, if not psychiatric help. Supposing of course they survive to leave the cult.
I assume Abbott is across this as a matter of urgency and is not going to use them as political point-scoring fodder.

The parents decided where they want the kids. Leave them there. This isn't a problem that needs solving

Was a strong and healthy debate on any update to citizenship. Got messy at times as politics crept in from both sides but nothing weird about that...this sort of thing will always create friction as lessons from the past clash with needs of the future.

Seems it has ended up more of an internal democratic process within the cabinet of govt to achieve a final draft to be presented today....opposition managed to deal itself out of the debate by itself on occasion.

Lets have a look at it first, but healthy signs that we do actually have safety valves both within and outside govt. To me that transcends individual party politics.

The media it seems MUST turn everything into a shitfight...healthy internal party debate and disagreement must for some reason become "govt division", whilst they also prey on every word from opposition members hoping for a gotcha gaffe, or anything remotely hypociritical from anyone at all. Seems that dividing both sides of the house into red and blue corners of a ring is somehow necessary for effect these days, but it hasnt really mattered in the long run.

The media will never admit nor report it in this fashion, but sometimes it is good to sit back and recognise the overall health of the system.

I dont believe we should always assume our great grand daddies were psychic einsteins afterall....and i believe Darwin that once said ..."A little evolution every now and then can be a healthy thing".

We'll see the final draft presented today...but something tells me that no matter the content it will end in the High Court. Silks never let this type of rare opportunity for 15mins of fame to simply fly through to the keeper.

Remember when the ACT passed the gay marrige act, and Brandis took it straight to the high court? Just more mouthy silks there too was it, protecting us against bills that maybe contrary to our constitution? Bloody lawyers.
That was a bad thing ? why ?
Yours and mine arnt the only views going around....that was no different to any other time when organisations, local councils and even tin pot territory govts deliberately and obviously overstep their powers.

The law and our constitution works both ways to protect us ...it is there to protect us from that exact type of overreach from those in power..

...a blatant disregard for laws of the land to force their own agenda upon the people.

If the same ACT govt passed its own euthenasia act i might agree with the principle behind it...but i would hope the reaction from an AG would be no different. They do have the odd responsibility to the nation afterall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not bitching about anything...but you seem to be melting over god knows what :confused:

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion....but i'm surprised you support or condone governments abusing their powers and deliberately trying to contravene our laws whenever it suits a political agenda.

I'm simply glad those fascist opinions arnt the norm in my country.

Not an opinion i share i'm afraid.

"They will be dealt with like the families of other criminals" said the PM of those two idiots in Syria's families. How are criminal's families dealt with, did we strip Martin Bryant's mum of citizenship, did Ivan Milat's brothers get deported, I've got a couple of possession raps, my mum was born in Canada, should she be worried? This PM doesn't even know what he's saying now.

something that stats wise,

You have about five times less chance of dying from. That death by tractor injury, or falling off chairs according to the ABS

Aussie Aussie Aussie. Pussys pussys pussys

Yet you were bitching about mouthy silks. We're passing this law, it's dominated our debate for a fortnight, because of what 200 odd people have done, out of a population of 20 million. This country is scared of it's own shadow.

How? Other than having a police state. There are 100s if not 1000s on the no fly lists already but nearly all these ISIL converts have no 'priors'.

At the airport unless your stooped enough to say you are going to Turkey how are they going to know? I am sure they are all told to say they are going to Malaysia/Thailand/Bali etc.

I'm sure Tone can find a nice catholic run 'facility' for them to repent in. It would also give the old Catholic boys running the place an 'interest'.:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back