Remove this Banner Ad

Alex99

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide Crows vs. Brisbane Lions Match Preview

Has the all mighty Brisbane Lions Empire almost dissolved or is the sleeping giant just about to wake again? With a shock loss to the Western bulldogs overnight the Brisbane lions will be looking for some kind of redemption and will be looking at taking their anger out on the Adelaide Crows, the three time premiership contender gained the services of superstar Jonathan brown two weeks ago with a best on ground performance vs. the Essendon Bombers is this going to be enough to continue the reassurance of a premiership contender into action. The question the Adelaide crows coaching staff lead by Neil Craig has to ask them self is ‘how do we keep the Brisbane lions star forward Jonathan brown quiet’?

Are the crows going to continue their resent flooding trends or become an adventurous attacking side with flair that Neil Craig has expressed interest in since taking over the top job from Gary Ayres in round 14 2004. For the Adelaide Crows to win they have to flood the defensive end of the 3 time premiership side and rebound the football to a some what lack lustre forward line who can be hit or miss over recent weeks

Speculation continues to grow over the form and fitness of a few valuable players in the Adelaide Crows squad, notably captain mark Ricciuto who has started the season in impeccable form only to have a few lean weeks for his side, is the star forward carrying a leg injury or is it possible the All-Australian captain be going thought a lean period of form. Media reports suggest the former and he injured his abductor muscle during the shock round 5 lose to the western bulldogs at Melbourne’s Telstra dome. The future of forward Scott Welsh is looking grim but seems to have the confidence in coach Neil Craig, Welsh who has only kicked four goals in four weeks “he (Welsh) is not getting looked after by his team mates up the field” according to Craig and once the process of our structure has changed he will be fine. Ken McGregor who received a knock to the head in the loss to the Melbourne Demons will have his toughest test since All-Australian vice captain Warren Tredrea but a suspect Achilles tendon may see the move of young gun Trent Hentschel moved into the key post of centre half back allowing McGregor to mould a struggling forward six who will be with out Graham Johncock who broke his fibular bone in his left leg and potentially be out for up to 8 weeks.

The form of the Brisbane lions is not great and the form of the Adelaide Crows at AAMI stadium is improving, in recent week at the leading stadium in SA. The crows have beaten the reining premier Port Adelaide Power by 66 points and the undefeated Kangaroos by 10 points. The Brisbane Lions have beaten bottom of the ladder Essendon Bombers by 52 points and lost to the erratic Western Bulldogs by 28 points

This will be a battle of the midfields; if the Adelaide on ball brigade can stop the Brisbane lions ‘fab four’ (Voss, Akermanis, Black, Lapin) they should be right on top and generate enough forward movement to entertain a huge home crowd to another victory.

Re: Adelaide Crows vs. Brisbane Lions Match review

1) It's a home game.
2) Brisbane are 2-5 and struggling for consistency, despite the fact that all their big guns are playing.
3) We've played some pretty decent footy over 7 weeks

IMHO, we have no excuse. This is a must win game, and I expect us to bounce back and win this one.

Selection will be very interesting.

Based on what I've read and the stats I've scene, Ladhams, Watts and Van Berlo must be big chances to play this week. Chris Knights, also, has to be a bit of a roughie (though, I suspect he will be left in the SANFL for at least a month before making his debut). I really like the sound of this kid.

Mark Stevens must also be in line for a recall, despite the fact that his SANFL form is not that great. I'd suspect Jericho's poor game for Westies on the weekend has moved him back down the pecking order.

I personally don't think Craig will overreact to the loss, it wasn't as if it was a disaster. However, the forward line needs some serious tweaking and that's why Mark Stevens or Watts must play. Welsh will probably retain his spot, but is more likely to start off the bench to hopefully jilt him into action.

My changes this week...

Out - Johncock (Injured), Begley
In - Ladhams, Watts or M.Stevens

Likely changes??

Out - Johncock (Injured), Begley
In - Doughty, M.Stevens

Time for Kenny to stepup his form & nullify Brown. Reckon their forward line is a bit 1-dimesional now without Lynch & we are real chance if JB is shutdown as we will match them in the midfield. Time to restructure our forward line IMO.

I don't want anyone posting saying, this will be an easy 4 points cause its at home, and Brisbane not playing too well.

Neither are we. Brisbane could just go back to their Round 6 form, where they thrashed Essendon in Melbourne 2 weeks ago. They could easy to this to the crows here.

Last time we played them we lost by say 141+ points, which was only 9 months ago.

So Round 8 is redeem day, grab some respect back, but we got no one to stop Brown so its could make things a little trickly.

Capitalist said:
Crows98 this could have been front page news at a certain site !!
Who is stopping if from going on www.asthecrowsfly.com.au (try and add the web address into as many post as you can people) or SBR from doing so? I didn’t want to add it because I was not sure of the process that I had to follow to get it submitted, plus I was not sure if it was that good or if people were interested in my little article this far out from the weeks match.

If you want to use it, go ahead and submit it. :)

Kane McGoodwin said:
Time for Kenny to stepup his form & nullify Brown. Reckon their forward line is a bit 1-dimesional now without Lynch & we are real chance if JB is shutdown as we will match them in the midfield. Time to restructure our forward line IMO.
Kenny has a good record on Brown and I reckon he is capable of producing another nullifying game. I'm happy for Kenny to go without a possession as long as Brown is kept quiet.

Fergus said:
Kenny has a good record on Brown and I reckon he is capable of producing another nullifying game. I'm happy for Kenny to go without a possession as long as Brown is kept quiet.

So am I, so many poster just look at the stats and see ‘Player A’ only got 4 kicks and 6 handballs with 3 marks, must have had a ******** game. And ‘Player B’ get 15 kicks and 10 handballs 6 marks must have played well but what about his opponent and how many turnover he may produce (nothing about Brett Burton)

I have been happy with Ken McGregor’s form this season and how he has handled his opponents.

Has anyone beaten him yet in there one on one duel?

Ladhams has been fantastic in recent weeks for the mighty utensils, his foot skills are second to none which is something a lot of crows lack. I hope he doesn't get picked because i would much rather see him at Prospect against Glenelg.

Obviously i was at the North - Eagles game Saturday arvo so i saw a few crows running around. Knights was very impressive, one of the shining lights in an insipid Eagles display, Watts was also pretty good and has been in good form, Bock has also been playing good footy.

Mark Stevens to be back this week? Are you joking? He didn't look up to SANFL standard on Saturday let alone AFL!!! If i was a supporter of WWT i would rather him in the Ressies. In todays Tiser there was a great photo of big Damon White taking a screamer over Stevo.

Also, regarding the discussion about J Brown... the best way to nullify the big lad is to stop his supply. Without that he will not get the opportunity to dominate and kick a bag, if our midfielders are slack he will kick a bag as he is in terrific form despite missing the start of the season.

I have a feeling it will be a very low scoring game.
Crows just.

PAFC2004 said:
Crows just.

Crows 50

Power 49

Crows 4 points

Swans 151
Power 150

Power 0 points

I don’t care if we win ugly as long as we get the 4 points.

I have a feeling you should stop being so condescending and hope big bad Barry Hall doesn’t kick a bag full against your side. One game doesn’t mean you can start telling us you’re the world-beaters again and patronise us or any other football fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RoosterLad said:
Ladhams has been fantastic in recent weeks for the mighty utensils, his foot skills are second to none which is something a lot of crows lack. I hope he doesn't get picked because i would much rather see him at Prospect against Glenelg.

Obviously i was at the North - Eagles game Saturday arvo so i saw a few crows running around. Knights was very impressive, one of the shining lights in an insipid Eagles display, Watts was also pretty good and has been in good form, Bock has also been playing good footy.Mark Stevens to be back this week? Are you joking? He didn't look up to SANFL standard on Saturday let alone AFL!!! If i was a supporter of WWT i would rather him in the Ressies. In todays Tiser there was a great photo of big Damon White taking a screamer over Stevo.

Watched that game on telly and that's the way I saw them too.

Stevens is hopelessly out of touch at the moment.

Ladhams certainly used the ball well when he had it and we could do worse than give him a run as a crumbing forward, although I don't think Craig has any intentions of doing that.

crows98 said:
So am I, so many poster just look at the stats and see ‘Player A’ only got 4 kicks and 6 handballs with 3 marks, must have had a ******** game. And ‘Player B’ get 15 kicks and 10 handballs 6 marks must have played well but what about his opponent and how many turnover he may produce (nothing about Brett Burton)

I have been happy with Ken McGregor’s form this season and how he has handled his opponents.

Has anyone beaten him yet in there one on one duel?

Exactly mate, I always of the opinion that the CHB's job is to nullify the CHF.

He should always punch and rely on his two HBFers to run the ball out of defence.

People seem to forget that Ken McGregors often on the best attacker in the oppisition ie Tredrea, Brown, etc.

He kept Tredrea to 8 disposals (& more importantly 0 goals) in the Port match whilst collecting 10 disposals himself.

I don't know what more people expect from a CHB. :confused:

Would they prefer a Chad Cornes effort against Fremantle where he had 15 disposals whilst his opponent Pavlich had 17 and kicked 3 goals.

Given that Fremantle won 88-53 those 18 points (3 goals) by Pavlich were very valuable.

I know what I expect a Crows CHB to do and that's just what McGregor has done.

i reckon kenny can keep brown to a couple when he is good form, but atm he aint. I havent read all of the thread, but from what i've seen scott has been playing FF so where does that leave rutten? I'd have no problem double teaming brown, but it might make us a litte defensive.

crows98 said:
I have a feeling you should stop being so condescending and hope big bad Barry Hall doesn’t kick a bag full against your side. One game doesn’t mean you can start telling us you’re the world-beaters again and patronise us or any other football fan.

PAFC2004 said:
Crows just.
Crowie I felt you were a bit harsh on PAFC. I found it a normal opinion and can see where he is coming from.

:)

PerthCrow said:
Crowie I felt you were a bit harsh on PAFC. I found it a normal opinion and can see where he is coming from.

:)

Yeah had to have a bit of a chuckle, PAFC just put forward an opinion and you absolutely roasted him/her !

As for the game, what are the Brisbane in/outs ? On form, I think we should get the points against Brisbane. We're at home and in reasonable form (despite the loss to Melbourne) so no excuses.

Personally I'd like to see Watts tried for the next few weeks to see if he can step up. If he is placed in a fp then so be it, lets give him a few games and see what he can do.

Crows by 10 points.

GoSarge said:
Yeah had to have a bit of a chuckle, PAFC just put forward an opinion and you absolutely roasted him/her !
It’s a love/hate relationship

I love to roast into port power supporters and absolutely hate them, no harm no foul

It was just another dig at the Adelaide Football Club and NC playing a negative dour type of football.

I don’t care what type of football we play as long as we win

crows98 said:
It’s a love/hate relationship

I love to roast into port power supporters and absolutely hate them, no harm no foul

It was just another dig at the Adelaide Football Club and NC playing a negative dour type of football.

I don’t care what type of football we play as long as we win

Fair call :)

topjars said:
Trent Hentschel got a ribbing from A Jarman the other night so Id expect him to turn on a blinder and kick 5 goals this week.

It worked for Macca and Radar.... ;)

Crows to win in a cake walk.
I hope you are right RE: Hentschel :)

Crows by a couple of goals. Kenny to do exceptional job on Brown ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back