Adelaide Crows vs. Brisbane Lions Match Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows must attack more: Craig

3:52:08 PM Fri 13 May, 2005
Alan Shiell
Sportal for afl.com.au

Adelaide coach Neil Craig has called on his players to be more attacking against the Brisbane Lions at AAMI Stadium on Saturday night.

"I made the point in the press conference last week (after the four-goal loss to Melbourne at the MCG) about playing safe, and we have a real obligation tomorrow night, just as a team, to show more attack than what we showed last week," Craig said after the Crows had trained on Friday.

"Otherwise, we're going nowhere as a club. We need to get some more attack into our game.

"We've seen that during the year and it's been very powerful. What we've got to be able to do is consistently get right the balance between strong defence versus when it's your opportunity to attack, it goes straight to the goalfront and you kick goals. There's no question last week that we were out of balance with that."

Craig said the Crows this week had looked at all or parts of the Lions' past three matches - the 73-point loss to West Coast at the Gabba, the 48-point win against Essendon at Telstra Dome and the 23-point loss to the Western Bulldogs at the Gabba last Saturday night.

"They're all contrasting," he said. "West Coast and the Bulldogs are contrasting styles, in terms of their set-ups and structures. Probably the thing that stood out was their ability to play fairly quick, attacking footy, and I'm sure Brisbane will want to be doing that, as well. And what's what we want to do, as I've already discussed."

Craig indicated that centre half-back Ken McGregor was the likely opponent for the Lions' big, in-form forward Jonathan Brown.

"We've got some options," he said. "Kenny McGregor's been pretty reasonable on Jonathan Brown down back each time we've played him.

"He's (Brown's) been in outstanding form and he's an outstanding player. But our guys will accept that challenge, whether it's a McGregor or a (Nathan) Bassett or a (Ben) Rutten or whoever. We certainly understand and appreciate the importance he is to their football club."

Told that Brisbane coach Leigh Matthews had said earlier this week that the Lions' defence was better suited to Adelaide's forward line (than the Bulldogs' smaller forward set-up) because Adelaide's was more conventional, Craig said: "All I'm saying, from a coaching perspective, is we've seen sides have some reasonable success against them, whether their forward line has been big or small.

"Having said that, though, their back line is very experienced. We'd like to think we've got the flexibility to go either big or small at any stage."

Craig seemed surprised when told betting agencies had the Crows as short-priced favourites to beat the Lions, but he was comfortable with it.

"We're favourites?" he asked. "I guess if you go back to the last time we played them (the Lions won by 141 points at the Gabba in round 17 last season), the situation's not based on that game, is it?

"If we're putting ourselves up to be the best team we can possibly be - the best in the competition - I know one thing when we get there is that you'll be the favourites every week, possibly. So, if we're the favourites, I'll welcome it."

Had he referred much this week to that debacle at the Gabba?

"Not a lot," he said. "I don't think you have to. No-one likes to play in that sort of environment. It was an embarrassment. We saw some big blowouts last week, but that was a 20-goal or 24-goal blowout.

"We didn't like that and I think at the time we said that quite openly - that we're not in this competition for those sort of things to happen."

Stressing the need for bigger contributions this week from Adelaide's second-tier players - or 'backbone' players, as he calls them - Craig said: "We rely very heavily on the backbone players of our club and will continue to do that. They form the largest part of our club.

"The content of that group is such that a lot of those guys will come through and become the senior, highly respected players of our club - and perhaps leaders of our club. So they've got to learn and we've got to learn that those situations occur (not having enough influence against Melbourne last week).

"The real key is to respond and breakthrough again when we get another opportunity so we get that consistency of performance. It's a huge issue for any club but particularly for our backbone group - consistency of performance is crucial for us and for them as individuals."

Jericho flexible, Stevens still required

202570bg.jpg

3:44:08 PM Fri 13 May, 2005
Alan Shiell
Sportal for afc.com.au

Neil Craig says speedy Luke Jericho's flexibility earned him a recall to Adelaide's team to play the Brisbane Lions at AAMI Stadium on Saturday night.

"Luke gives us some flexibility," coach Craig said. "He's been playing up forward for West Adelaide (in the SANFL) and he had an outstanding game two or three weeks ago.

"He's played a bit on the wing for us, as well, and he's had a little bit of a taste down back, mainly with West.

"At this level, we've predominantly seen him up forward and I'm sure we'll see him up forward at some stage tomorrow night, plus he's one of the younger brigade I've been keen to get into the side when the timing was right, and we just believe at the moment the timing is right."

Craig had some words of encouragement for "forgotten" key forward Mark Stevens, who will play for Woodville-West Torrens again in the SANFL on Saturday.

"He's still very much a part of our club," Craig said. "I'm sure Mark will be disappointed, as he has been in previous weeks, about not being in our side, but, make no mistake, Mark Stevens is still an important player at our club.

"While there's some disappointment there, he just continues on in the SANFL and waits for his opportunity.

"His attitude, in terms of getting himself right, has been outstanding. All the reports I'm getting (from the SANFL) are that he's playing his role and his body language and attitude back with Woodville-West Torrens is fine.

"It's just a matter of Mark staying in good form and waiting his opportunity, just like any other player at our club."

topjars said:
If Stevens is " in good form" according to NC Icant understand why he hasnt been picked. :confused:

I can understand why he hasn't been picked, TJ.

What I can't understand is why Craig thinks his form is good - it's been average at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back