Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its only a rating winner in NSW and QLD the rest of the nation can take it or leave it.Overall throughout the season the the AFL gets very good ratings week in week out and is a long way ahead of the NRL overall.BTW just watch the ratings jump for the AFL when they play on Good Friday and have a twilight or night GF

and that is the power of representative football. 3 million viewers for game half the country doesn't care about. and even the half that do care only care about 3-4 games per season.

You only have to check out this forum for the amount of interest Origin and the code gains by having it. Yea sure it's mostly negative which you'd expect, but here people are, most who only want to compare dick sizes, talking about it and of course the Origin thread on the RL forum gets lots of activity when the games come around.

Personally I'd rather have a 3 match test series now that the Kiwis are just about on level pegging, but the impact of Origin regardless of impact on the NRL season is huge and not just in Australia.

But you are viewing quite valid comments with being negative comments, you are missing the main message.

SOO is massive, but that's precisely the problem!

Smith knows he needs to wind it down to grow the NRL, but he can't because it's too "popular".

SOO is so massive now that it definitely detracts from the home and away season, rips the heart out of it.

There were only four NRL games last weekend, that should result year-high averages for attendances and ratings because interest should be spread across fewer games - but the reverse is actually true - the reason? Origin. The average attendances for the four games was 12,515, despite there being only four games. And despite all the hype in Melbourne for Origin, only 10,128 turned up for Storm's home game.

Compare to the first bye round for the AFL, only six games, and as expected, despite six non-descript games, it ends up in above average Fox ratings of 242k.

Also, it's crazy that Australia's second biggest football league gets few sponsorship dollars than what the FFA manages. Absolutely crazy. So getting those three spots in the top five TV shows for the year does not translate into sponsorship dollars.

Origin detracts from the NRL season, absolutely rips the heart out of it, and that is why I say the AFL loves the concept. So much so, you'd almost think the AFL came up with the idea...

You only have to check out this forum for the amount of interest Origin and the code gains by having it. Yea sure it's mostly negative which you'd expect, but here people are, most who only want to compare dick sizes, talking about it and of course the Origin thread on the RL forum gets lots of activity when the games come around.

Personally I'd rather have a 3 match test series now that the Kiwis are just about on level pegging, but the impact of Origin regardless of impact on the NRL season is huge and not just in Australia.

None of which changes the central tenets of the arguments being made. The Flow on effects from Origin to the rest of the country are minimal. And before going on about comparing dick size, do remember where you are - most people on this forum view things through more of an Australian Football prism than other sport. League has its own forums to pump itself up and exaggerate the cultural importance of its events to the rest of the world.

SOO is so massive now that it definitely detracts from the home and away season, rips the heart out of it.

As a neutral I'd agree with this. Tonight I'm going to my first rugby league game for the year and I don't support either side. It seems like more and more commentary on NRL matches each year is about who will be good for origin. That does devalue the product, and almost makes it seem like a second tier comp.

Origin is a restrictor plate on the club competition outside NSW and QLD. Though it's simplistic to blame rugby league's expansion problems on it.

But you are viewing quite valid comments

From people with 0 interest in the code. If you actually really cared they might mean something.

None of which changes the central tenets of the arguments being made. The Flow on effects from Origin to the rest of the country are minimal.

I agree. Never said otherwise, but it gets people who have no interest in Rugby league talking about it as witnessed in this thread.

I dont even know who finders is.

I hope he's ok haven't seen him in ages.

I think you are way too precious about RL

I don't think so. It's testing my patience with pathetic officialdom, but I still enjoy it, but really watch far more Australian football these days.

Anyway, enjoy the game. Looks like a great crowd.

Biggest game at the MCG this season is a rugby league game.
Sydney FC vs Chelsea got more at ANZ than Origin 1. Your point?

You're wrong anyway. The Cricket World Cup Final earlier this year got 93k.

Tonight was the 5th time this year the 'G has got 80k+. Last year at this time of year, the largest crowd at the 'G for the year would've been the Soccer.

All proof once again that Melbourne is the sporting capital :cool:.

Sydney FC vs Chelsea got more at ANZ than Origin 1. Your point?

You're wrong anyway. The Cricket World Cup Final earlier this year got 93k.

Tonight was the 5th time this year the 'G has got 80k+. Last year at this time of year, the largest crowd at the 'G for the year would've been the Soccer.

All proof once again that Melbourne is the sporting capital :cool:.
A touching moment of silence for the great Ron Clarke at the MCG was spoiled by groups of fans who cheered and jeers during a sombre tribute to one of Australia's greatest athletes.

Social media lit up in condemnation as a small group among the 90,000-plus crowd at Origin II couldn't be bothered keeping their mouth shut for just a few moments to honour Clarke's memory.

1434568882850.jpg

Disrespect: sections of the MCG crowd cheered during the minute's silence for Ron Clarke. Photo: Getty Images

Instead, they yelled and carried on in a shameful display of disrespect that filtered through televison microphones and around Australia.

This dragged the occasion down But what would expect from a lot of the bogan supporters that follow RL It wouldnt have happened at any other sport played at the MCG

From people with 0 interest in the code. If you actually really cared they might mean something.

But the discussion isn't about how much you, I or anyone else cares, it's about whether SOO hinders or helps the growth of the NRL.

I'm stating the opinion that it hinders the growth of the NRL, because:

1. it disrupts a large chunk of the NRL season in relation to almost every metric;
2. it places the NRL squarely as a secondary competition in the Australian sporting landscape; and
3. ultimately it reinforces the popular view that League is played in two states.

On the last point, can we ever envisage a future where SOO continues to get bigger and off the back of that growth in popularity we end up with two teams playing out of each of Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide, all of whom barrack madly for a three game comp between NSW and Queensland every year?

It's an absurd notion.

I am arguing that the NRL would have a better chance of ending up with two teams in each of Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide if SOO didn't exist.

That being the case, it means that SOO hinders the growth of the NRL.

A touching moment of silence for the great Ron Clarke at the MCG was spoiled by groups of fans who cheered and jeers during a sombre tribute to one of Australia's greatest athletes.

Social media lit up in condemnation as a small group among the 90,000-plus crowd at Origin II couldn't be bothered keeping their mouth shut for just a few moments to honour Clarke's memory.

1434568882850.jpg

Disrespect: sections of the MCG crowd cheered during the minute's silence for Ron Clarke. Photo: Getty Images

Instead, they yelled and carried on in a shameful display of disrespect that filtered through televison microphones and around Australia.

This dragged the occasion down But what would expect from a lot of the bogan supporters that follow RL It wouldnt have happened at any other sport played at the MCG
If anyone else wants to know why the Rabbitohs games in Perth are played at Perth Oval and not larger Subi, simply look at the distance between the wing and the touchline. You are miles away from the action, whereas at nib you feel like you are all but on top of the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its nowhere near double the revenue of the NRL, however while the AFL might love the idea of 4 grand final games, Im not so certain that they are willing to compromise the main competition for a few extra dollars when they make so much already.

Conversely, the NRL would love to get anywhere near the off field revenue the AFL has - its revenue increases last year are mostly based around increased ticket pricing at finals and origin. It might be close when it comes to tv rights, but the NRL are nowhere near the AFL off the field, not by a long way.
  • Total AFL Revenue was $524,431,000 in 2014 (broadcast $248 million, non broadcast $276 million).
  • Total NRL Revenue was $350,902,000 in 2014 (broadcast $225 million, non broadcast $125 million).
  • Total ARU Revenue was $103,398,000 in 2014 (broadcast $26 million, non broadcast $77 million)
  • Total FFA Revenue was $136,000,000 in 2014 (broadcast ~$35 million, non broadcast ~$101 million)
  • All non AFL leagues combined: $590,300,000 in 2014 (broadcast $287 million, non broadcast $303 million)
Sources:

Interesting figures. My first impression is that the non-broadcast revenue streams of the ARU and FFA, as a percentage of their overall revenue, is extremely high, significantly higher than both NRL and AFL.

You can imagine why for rugby. All the old boys want to help out but no one wants to watch.

Someone said the melbourne average of 490,832 is bigger than any afl game. That can't be right can it?

You can imagine why for rugby. All the old boys want to help out but no one wants to watch.

Someone said the melbourne average of 490,832 is bigger than any afl game. That can't be right can it?
It's possible? It was at the MCG so they would have had the extra hype.

Also, Adelaide figures are midway between what they get for SA and non-SA primetime games, WA figures are maybe a bit above what they normally get for non-WA primetime games.

Could be. Over a mil in Sydney though so would have thought an AFL game would have beat 500k in melbourne this season. Maybe not then? Pretty impressive figures even if all 490k of them are "just see the hype and never watch again" as you all say they are.

Could be. Over a mil in Sydney though so would have thought an AFL game would have beat 500k in melbourne this season. Maybe not then? Pretty impressive figures even if all 490k of them are "just see the hype and never watch again" as you all say they are.

It's very impressive, ~90k at the ground and ~500k watching on tv in Melb.
If those were figures from a midweek AFL game in Sydney they'd be the same people saying that RL is dead, etc.

well we'll see when 490,000 watch League In Melbourne this week wont we?

Interesting figures. My first impression is that the non-broadcast revenue streams of the ARU and FFA, as a percentage of their overall revenue, is extremely high, significantly higher than both NRL and AFL.

The other angle this opens up is speculation as to the power that the broadcast dollars give the broadcasters. When you are deriving 50% of your revenue from one source, I'd suggest they are your biggest customer. We know that scheduling and specific games are part of their carrot as well, but I'd hate to think the spectacle of the game is being tweaked to an unreasonable degree in the interest of the TV audience.

It's apocryphal, but I think we all have a belief that the US sports market underwent significant changes in the effort to placate and enhance the TV viewership. It's a very fine line to tread. NRL certainly makes no secret of it's appeal from the living room and the product is ideally suited to the small screen - almost every single player on the park is visible with a single camera shot, since the action is exactly where the ball is and nowhere else. I'm reminded at this point of the oft repeated phrase that AFL rulemaking is creating a slower, stoppage-focused game, where the ball is forever in a pack.

But the discussion isn't about how much you, I or anyone else cares, it's about whether SOO hinders or helps the growth of the NRL.

I am arguing that the NRL would have a better chance of ending up with two teams in each of Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide if SOO didn't exist.

That being the case, it means that SOO hinders the growth of the NRL.

QLD, Perth and NZ are the 1st stops for expanding the market because that's what's needed and I believe will happen down the track. Growth like your suggestions is, quite simply, a dumb move and isn't what the game needs and honestly I doubt Adelaide will ever be on the radar unless a team is shipped off there.

Your opinions seem more like a "hey look at us we're bigger than you" and are simply using the SoO debate to justify it.

Im pretty certain if you just take the A League and Super Rugby comps i Australian and dont include international games the the AFL is miles ahead.

Im pretty certain if you just take the A League and Super Rugby comps i Australian and dont include international games the the AFL is miles ahead.

Nah, he said 'as a percentage of overall revenue', which would be true. Their revenue from broadcast rights is relatively small, so other stuff would be a greater proportion of total revenue.
On raw dollars though the AFL would be much greater than both combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back