Adopt my philosophy - Discontinue emotional Investment

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully the we dont lose players in the mean time... I mean there would be a few already getting the feelers our....
I think the main ones are at least contracted for next season, however if this mediocrity continues then... Well that could be a worry.

I'm sure IDGAF won't mind me dropping in here...only to say that we have spent many, many hours over the last 20 years discussing the plight of the RFC to the point I know the history almost as well as my own club..:)

It was weeks ago when we first started talking about Hardwick and for the first time I agreed there was a problem.

For the last few years I've been a massive Dimma fan. I loved him as a Bomber player- the ultimate endurance, hard-at-it type player etc. And with his personality, I really felt he was a perfect fit for the Tigers as coach.

He did ok for a few years. Got them back on their feet and really had them going last year.

But now they need a coach with a solid plan to take to them to next level. A plan that every player is buying in with.

And if there's one thing I've learnt over 35 years of watching league football it's this....Week after week, if a team is running around displaying substandard effort and attack at the man and ball- there is 9 times out of 10 always some problem with how the coach is communicating with the players.

He just seems too 'nice' for his own good Dimma. What Richmond need is a harder-edged coach.

There's really nothing wrong with your list. There's s**t loads of talent in that squad.

Younger fans don't like coaches getting sacked. Ruffles everything up too much. But us older people know that sometimes you just have to pull the pin and say " Lets start again ". Tigers have gone through this probably way too many times in the past...but business is business.

And if you're in the business of winning games as a football club- above all, the number one priority is having a head coach who has the players. A leader who has them tuned in to his vision of how that side should play.

Anyway..crapped on a bit...my 1c worth :)

It's not about "joy" really and not even I am enjoying this season, but I get frustrated by the vitriol and hatred and I don't believe that it's, long term, as bad as it seems and the club is far stronger and better placed to recover now than it was after Frawley/Wallace.
The sack Dimma NOW calls are embarrassing really, IMHO.
I agreed with this a few weeks ago but now I only agree because we can't afford to pay out 2 years. The players have totally given up.

I went and was angry after the Bulldogs game .
I went and was furious after the Melbourne game.
I decided not to go to the Essendon game , turned it off at half time and just really didn't care.

It's getting to the stage of the glory years of the 80's , 90's and 2000's where I just hate a good majority of our players. Get's hard to watch.

No ones venting here. There's no vitriol, or hatred. What you are reading here is helplessness, sadness and acceptance. And we are getting worn down. 35 years mate. 35 years........
Didn't mean in this thread, this thread is different absolutely.
It was a general reply to a question that just happened to be asked in this thread.
I understand the despair, we all cope in our own way.

I think the main ones are at least contracted for next season, however if this mediocrity continues then... Well that could be a worry.

I am worreid about how we publicly ridiculed Martin through out his last contract dealings.... cant see him signing until the end of this deal.

If I was Griffith I would definitely be looking else where....

Vickery probably hates the fact he signed... but might ask for a new home.

I am worreid about how we publicly ridiculed Martin through out his last contract dealings.... cant see him signing until the end of this deal.

No great loss with the last two. ...

mate..what joy can you possibly be getting out of RFC at the moment?
Your expectations must be that low ..or your drugs fantastic...can I have a kilo of whatever you are on?
There are other factors at play as well ttt, I don't want to give up on the Tigers, I want to celebrate the wins and be hurt by the losses, because the void left if Richmond vanished, or I gave them away, would be massive. Footy is a great escape for many of us, for many reasons and the Richmond Football Club is a place where we all belong, equally, regardless of our circumstances, and I love that.
So it's Richmond for life, in reality "I got nowhere else to go"!

mate, what I am telling you is that our strength is our weakness.

Do you think Hawthorn would have survived such a sustained period of no success. No chance. Therefore out of necessity to survive, they have made the right decisions, life or death.

Everyone should jump off. God knows supporting them and being the most loyal fans in the league hasn't worked.

the biggest weakness of our club isn't the supporters. we are, and always have been, it's biggest strength. the club hasn't gone along for 30 yrs of crap because of us, nor has it deliberately been crap knowing we will be there to bail it out. but yes, it has survived because of us when others would have folded ala fitzroy. it's biggest weakness has always been administration and not having the right people in charge (in all facets). but this is all semantics and at the end of the day you and i are basically on the same page......you can't keep dishing up this crap and expect supporters to keep buying it. but i don't think everyone should walk away and let it disappear either.

as for the hawthorn scenario. if that's true then i am glad i'm a tiger through and through.

How can Griffiths shop Himself around?
Lucky to be playing. It's only because he's at Richmond.
Would struggle just about at any other club to get a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post, im close to where you are at and I have no idea why I still care. Im happy to say it openly. I gave over 20k to the FTF, that was money hard saved and I am just feeling at the moment its an investment that I wont see pay a decent returned :(
God bless you mate, seriously, to invest that much into the club. Your one of those who doesn't let the jumper hit the floor. Although we all get pissed at this club we still show up every week, average the second highest in attendances for the majority of VFL/AFL history let alone the last 35 years. You look at melbourne supporters, there's like 10 of them left, what a disgrace. Any other club that has gone through what we have would be extinct by now. Though we do occasionally piff the jumper off the 3rd teer at the G and give the membership card the old 2 minute microwave heat up, we go running after that jumper, we take the card out of the microwave and we show up, wearing our hearts on our sleeves and yet the very team we do this for drags it through the steaming pile of s**t that comes out of essendon supporter mouths. It was half way through the bulldogs game where I stopped investing any more emotion. Until we stop showing up to games, then they will see we won't stand for mediocrity anymore.

There are other factors at play as well ttt, I don't want to give up on the Tigers, I want to celebrate the wins and be hurt by the losses, because the void left if Richmond vanished, or I gave them away, would be massive. Footy is a great escape for many of us, for many reasons and the Richmond Football Club is a place where we all belong, equally, regardless of our circumstances, and I love that.
So it's Richmond for life, in reality "I got nowhere else to go"!

I know we all want what is best for the club and this is just a chatroom. I would be appalled if anyone at the club paid any attention to our drivel

But when we are in bad times it is cathartic to read the 'woe is me' posts or the funny posts...

I'm sure IDGAF won't mind me dropping in here...only to say that we have spent many, many hours over the last 20 years discussing the plight of the RFC to the point I know the history almost as well as my own club..:)

It was weeks ago when we first started talking about Hardwick and for the first time I agreed there was a problem.

For the last few years I've been a massive Dimma fan. I loved him as a Bomber player- the ultimate endurance, hard-at-it type player etc. And with his personality, I really felt he was a perfect fit for the Tigers as coach.

He did ok for a few years. Got them back on their feet and really had them going last year.

But now they need a coach with a solid plan to take to them to next level. A plan that every player is buying in with.

And if there's one thing I've learnt over 35 years of watching league football it's this....Week after week, if a team is running around displaying substandard effort and attack at the man and ball- there is 9 times out of 10 always some problem with how the coach is communicating with the players.

He just seems too 'nice' for his own good Dimma. What Richmond need is a harder-edged coach.

There's really nothing wrong with your list. There's s**t loads of talent in that squad.

Younger fans don't like coaches getting sacked. Ruffles everything up too much. But us older people know that sometimes you just have to pull the pin and say " Lets start again ". Tigers have gone through this probably way too many times in the past...but business is business.

And if you're in the business of winning games as a football club- above all, the number one priority is having a head coach who has the players. A leader who has them tuned in to his vision of how that side should play.

A decent thread of truth their Shane , not sure it's quite as simple as a harder edge, Neeld tried that, more oft these days it's the cool and balanced head but above that a vision for where the games at and above that again the ability to get 50 listed players on board , tis a *en difficult job and just when you think you ve got a potential gun coach figured they make an ass of you

I'd think griff may get some support in finding a new club, TV, wait and see, a lot would depend if anyone else of our talls shows anything, if not he stays

Why do Tiger supporters give up so easily? Granted, our season is gone NOW, I'm willing to admit that, but I keep hearing this nonsense about people losing interest VERY early in the year, and one person here even said "before the season started". Now I'm not having a go at anybody on a personal level, but seriously, after the year we had in 2013 as a whole, it's crazy that anybody could have come into this season thinking it was going to be terrible.

Anyway, on topic, last night I was feeling a similar way to alot of you, in that I saw the score at quarter time, and already knew that we wouldn't come back, even when we kicked the first couple of goals in the second and got within about 15 points. It was clear that we were going to lose. And I felt the same way during the last quarters against the Bulldogs, Geelong, and the Demons, where we had winning positions but couldn't take advantage of it. Never really got too excited, because I did feel that we probably wouldn't ultimately win.

But I still love my club, and I'm going to stay emotionally invested in it. "Why, you crazy bastard?", I hear you all ask.

Here's my background: I'm 24 years old, and I have supported the club for 18 years. My Mum went for (ironically) the Bombers, and I started following footy when I was about 4 years old. In those first two years, I just went for who my Mum went for, but when I started developing my own interest in following a team, I decided that the Tigers would be that team. From that point I have been a passionate supporter, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 (occasionally 366) days a year.

If you were to ask anybody that knows me, even a little bit, what I am passionate about, I guarantee you that there would only be one answer they would give, and that is the RFC. This club is literally my life, and I mean that. It's probably psychologically unhealthy to be honest, but I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the RFC, I'd probably be dead. Sounds extreme, but read the next paragraph, and you'll understand why I say that.

My mother died when I was 17, and I have no other family. I didn't have a job before the age of 18 because I spent 3 years taking care of her on my own, due to her having a terminal illness. So when I turned 18 I got my first job, with the knowledge that if I didn't learn how to make life work in the real world, by myself noless, I'd very quickly be homeless and alone. I wanted to give up at various stages and just cark it, but the one thing that got me through life during those tough years, was the fact that for 6 months of the year, I would be able to watch the RFC play, and for the other 6 months, I would be able to get excited for the next season, in the hope that we started playing well and made the finals for once!

Now, my circumstances have improved dramatically in the last few years. I got my drivers license on my own, I had a 50k a year job at a bank for about 3 years, and although my year in 2014 hasn't been great so far, due to a few poor life decisions (never leave a secure job chasing more money haha!) things have been MUCH worse in the past for me.

And that's exactly how I view the RFC season so far. Yes, it's been a shitty year, but geez has anybody paid any attention over the last 20 years? This is by no means "rock bottom", or even close to it.

What's the point in telling you all that personal stuff? The point is that this is football, guys. Sometimes our team will be s**t, other times it will be good, but life itself is a nasty beast sometimes, and I'm telling you now that there are FAR worse things out there than the RFC having a shitty game or shitty season. It hurts when the club performs like s**t, but this over-the-top "discontinue emotional investment" s**t is ridiculous. Enjoy your team, have a bit of a yell when they **** up, but just enjoy the game for what it is, and that's "entertainment".

And by the way, as I alluded to before, this really isn't the low point of the club's existence by any stretch of the imagination, really it's quite tame compared to how ugly things have gotten at various stages. Just enjoy the game, have a whinge when we lose sure, and have a big cheer when we win, but let's not start talking about how emotionally barren we've become because of a 3-7 start to the year. :p

PS - It probably sounds contradicting that one minute I say the RFC is my life, and the next I am saying it's just entertainment, but that's the point. I'm as diehard of a supporter as you're going to get, and it hurts when we lose, but at the same time, it's not the end of the world, and our time will come at some point, so I reckon we should all just stick fat, and back the club in. :)
Amazing story Reaperx and would love to have a beer with you one day if you ever need any advice on employment but it seems you learn very quickly from your mistakes .

Im not trying to be rude here but in all honesty the only tragedy in a lot of our lives is the Richmond Footy club and after a 5 year rebuild where we all sat back and have the club the time it needed they serve up this s**t well it hurts even more.

I have been flogged on here for stating our season was over after round 3 and nearly took a bet that we wouldn't finish higher than Melbourne this year because I just couldn't bring myself to betting against my own club.

It doesn't meek me feel good to have seen the cracks starting appear since trade week last year it makes me *en ropable that Hardwick and co are still looking for answers. Hopefully Benny Gales doesn't fall for all this arse scratching cause that's what he's doing , treading water until he thinks he's found the right spin to take up stairs . That's just exoeriece talking here mate no disrespect.

First memories were watching No 4 on the telly in 1967 as a 3 year old; from then I have supported the Tigers through the highs and lows.

However lately the emotional connection that has been a constant through all the years is not there anymore.

I know AFL is a professional sport and players are just employees but I would like some emotional attachment from the football department/players to this once great club.

All I ask them is to care about it, for it seems the performance of the coaching & players are going through the motions (turn-up and collect your pay).

Where is the passion, the pride and most of all the self belief?

We were once a great club but are now just a mere shadow of what we were.

I do not need sound bites/film clips from the club telling me where we are at; I can see it with my own eyes.

Dimmas Disection us a complete crock , should of been shelved well over a year ago and it's about time the club stopped telegraphing everything we do it are thinking of doing.

Dimmas Disection and his press conferences have turned into small minny ads that are trying to convince us he knows what's happening.

So you don't think clubs would be after him?
Maybe speculatively but I reckon a few would be wrongly offended by what would be put on the table if he was a trade request.
I want him to be a good player but for a long while he built like Tarzan,play like jane.

Calm , rational approach ...

Heaps of problems

The biggest one is the one that Jack talked about and was almost dropped for, for admitting.

The game has gone one way, and we have gone another.

We are slow.

We have spent too much time accumulating good ordinary footballers, that have a limited scope to improve

Our players don't have the skill set to execute our game plan

We are a team of slow plodders, we started in front of Melbourne, Nth, Port, and they have gone right past us, again.

Reiwoldts interview was the only bit of honesty that has come out of the club in 8 months , the rest has been excuses and or trying to sell us dreams of 3 x 200cm players morphing into one and co existing in a forward line that will not see the ball come out quicker than it came in and hurt us in the rebound .

All of this with Shaun Hampson as the catalyst . Pleeaaasssseee stop lying to us !!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back