AFL 2015, Round 1 - Adelaide v Nth Melbourne, Adelaide Oval, 2.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Need Grima and Hansen to come back.

It's hard not to feel for Tippett today. You'd expect him to be dropped and Tarrant will come in get to play on one of Brisbane's inexperienced KPF which will give him the chance to build some confidence.

Grima's out for a long while I think, with a back injury that he's had surgery on twice now (from memory).

Lachie is genuinely underrated and a great third defender, but he's not a key defender to go with the likes of Walker, Hawkins, Cloke, Buddy etc.

Thompson and Firrito aren't strong enough to go with the absolute beasts of key forwards.

Lachie is genuinely underrated and a great third defender, but he's not a key defender to go with the likes of Walker, Hawkins, Cloke, Buddy etc.

Hanson is 197cm and 98kg. How is he "not a key defender" in comparison to guys like Thompson and Firrito who are 7-8cm and 7-8kg lighter?

His strength is reading the play and cutting across - think a 2nd tier Michael Johnson. He's not good at engaging 1-on-1 body contact for a mark, from what I see anyway.
I
Other North fans might see differently?

I get what his strengths are, but he should still be able to actually man up on an opponent too.

He's 197cm, was an U/18 All-Australian CHB, who was drafted #3 overall once upon a time. Surely the expectation would be that by now (in his 9th AFL season), he'd have built his body and skillset to the level of being a proper key defender. That apparently hasn't indicates a level of failure with the player (his work ethic) and his development (coaching, strength and conditioning, etc.), does it not?

I get what his strengths are, but he should still be able to actually man up on an opponent too.

He's 197cm, was an U/18 All-Australian CHB, who was drafted #3 overall once upon a time. Surely the expectation would be that by now (in his 9th AFL season), he'd have built his body and skillset to the level of being a proper key defender. That apparently hasn't indicates a level of failure with the player (his work ethic) and his development (coaching, strength and conditioning, etc.), does it not?

No, because he's extremely good at what he does.

There's a reason we are trying to draft KD's so Hansen doesn't have too.

No, because he's extremely good at what he does.

There's a reason we are trying to draft KD's so Hansen doesn't have too.

But shouldn't Hansen himself have been one of the "answers" to your KPD woes? You don't generally pick up guys of his ilk (height, junior accolades, draft position) with a view to them simply panning out as a "3rd tall" type, do you?

Are you genuinely happy with how he's turned out, or is it more of an accepting "he is what he is now, and we just have to work and build around it" situation?

LOL at the hysteria on here that we're finished.

Got flogged round 1 last year, beat Port 2 weeks later, beat Hawthorn by more than anyone else. Went on to end Essendon and Geelong's season.

Short memories

Your mob is to bi-polar to be a contender! the issue was always bringing your best for a full season, that won't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? At that point in time Adelaide's defence looked vulnerable.

Like it did all last year I might add.

It will be like that all this year, sadly for us. (definitely our defensive group, right now, is our Achilles heel)

Any team that really targets Hartigan/Cheney has a big chance of ripping our defense to shreds, it's what made the move from North to take Brown out of the side really baffling. The silver lining for us is it puts a huge emphasis on a more team oriented defense, which will really set this side up in good stead when that defense gets fixed (it's an experience and get Lever breaking through thing ideally).

Wish I could remember the Essendon poster that took umbrage when I laughed at Dwayne Russell in the preseason after he mentioned that Taylor Walker was 'on his way' to knocking off Dean Solomon as Broken Hill's best AFL product.
On his way? Solomon was serviceable but nowhere near as dominant as tex.

North were figured out. Pressure their ability to run freely and they can't hit the board or stem the flow.
When Adelaide dropped their intensity they put 5 goals on. When they applied it again, they ran away with the game.

On his way? Solomon was serviceable but nowhere near as dominant as tex.

Which was exactly my point. Walker has had his injury problems, but since his breakout season whenever he's been on the park, he's given little reason for anyone to think he's not one of the best key forwards in the league. Solomon was a solid player and that was about it. He never came anywhere near the heights that Walker plays at, practically on a weekly basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back