AFL 2015, Round 1 - Brisbane v Collingwood, Gabba, 6.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

On the afl website,does anyone know what that device is on the players hands and forearms,whilst sitting on bench for collingwood? They said ice but not sure if thats true and why during a match?

Do other teams use them or just the pies?

Last edited:

People sticking it to Beams are dicks. The bloke left Collingwood to return to QLD to be closer with his dying dad. He didn't do anything dishonorable. It's not like he pulled a Tippett or a Mitch Clarke, claiming to want to to home and then taking a detour for bigger dollars.

Clark isn't getting bigger dollars at Geelong, and he had a perfectly good reason for leaving Melbourne. Melbourne also got something for him.

Clark isn't getting bigger dollars at Geelong, and he had a perfectly good reason for leaving Melbourne. Melbourne also got something for him.
Did you miss the bit where he wanted out of Brisbane to go home to WA (Freo) only to sign with Melbourne 4000 kms away on bigger coin?

People sticking it to Beams are dicks. The bloke left Collingwood to return to QLD to be closer with his dying dad. He didn't do anything dishonorable. It's not like he pulled a Tippett or a Mitch Clarke, claiming to want to to home and then taking a detour for bigger dollars.

All I will say to that is that I'm pretty sure I've read that his dad actually lives on the Gold Coast... and, whether his dad lives in Brissy or GC, Beams flatly refused to entertain any offers from the Suns suggest that this was not purely about going home. The Pies also offered him opportunities such as an extended break from the club, or being up in Qld 3-4 days a week.
I agree that it was nothing like those two guys, however they were both out of contract at the time... Beams still had a year to go.

On the afl website,does anyone know what that device is on the players hands and forearms,whilst sitting on bench for collingwood? They said ice but not sure if thats true and why during a match?

Apparently it was a cooling device of some description and apparently it cools the body temperature down quicker, which helps with recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's clenbuterol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I will say to that is that I'm pretty sure I've read that his dad actually lives on the Gold Coast... and, whether his dad lives in Brissy or GC, Beams flatly refused to entertain any offers from the Suns suggest that this was not purely about going home.
ok, so maybe it was also about wanting to play with his brother. You can't hang him for that.

Why didn't he appear at the Best and Fairest" Harry showed up and gave that incomprehensible speech. Beams just slunk away like he was ashamed and couldn't face the Collingwood fans.

So for those not as enlightened on Collingwood matters as you, wanna fill us in and tell us what we're missing?

He didn't show up to the best and fairest which would have been full of slightly pished Collingwood fans who I am led to believe would have done nothing but graciously shake his hand, shower him with complete understanding and wish him well.

FWIW... Patrick Karnezis didnt attend his final B&F at Brisbane either... dog act, coward rah rah etc etc.

He didn't show up to the best and fairest which would have been full of slightly pished Collingwood fans who I am led to believe would have done nothing but graciously shake his hand, shower him with complete understanding and wish him well.

FWIW... Patrick Karnezis didnt attend his final B&F at Brisbane either... dog act, coward rah rah etc etc.

No-one booed or abused Harry. Karnesis may have been cowardly but I don't think he was claiming altruistic reasons for his return to Melbourne-Beams was.

No-one booed or abused Harry.

C'mon, the comparison is flawed. Most Pies supporters were happy to see Heretier out the door before the season was even finished. Pies fans were very amenable to parting ways and some platitudes at the B&F was always going to be well received. There was a lot more resentment and angst at Beams' departure. The B&F non-attendance just provided a faux-moral outlet for the rage.

Karnesis may have been cowardly but I don't think he was claiming altruistic reasons for his return to Melbourne-Beams was.

I was clearly being sarcastic about it being cowardly. I couldn't have given a toss. Once they've moved on, they've moved on. A B&F isn't a sacred religious event.

C'mon, the comparison is flawed. Most Pies supporters were happy to see Heretier out the door before the season was even finished. Pies fans were very amenable to parting ways and some platitudes at the B&F was always going to be well received. There was a lot more resentment and angst at Beams' departure. The B&F non-attendance just provided a faux-moral outlet for the rage.

I was clearly being sarcastic about it being cowardly. I couldn't have given a toss. Once they've moved on, they've moved on. A B&F isn't a sacred religious event.

To say B and F's are not sacred religious events is like saying birthday parties are of no great import. However if you are invited and fail to attend you are going to insult/hurt/annoy the host. It was the perfect event for Beams to explain his situation and thank the club for giving him the opportunity to be a premiership player. Instead he made some smart arsed quip " I guess I got off the bus!" in response to Buckley's bus analogy. Poor form.

To say B and F's are not sacred religious events is like saying birthday parties are of no great import. However if you are invited and fail to attend you are going to insult/hurt/annoy the host. It was the perfect event for Beams to explain his situation and thank the club for giving him the opportunity to be a premiership player. Instead he made some smart arsed quip " I guess I got off the bus!" in response to Buckley's bus analogy. Poor form.

So you ignore all his other public statements about his decision being made because of family reasons and instead choose to use his response to a direct question from a reporter about Buckley's bus remark as his official response instead. You're just seeing what you want to see.

You did alright out of the trade and won the first match-up, you really should move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back