after the Hawks premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

again, injuries ruined our run not Hawthorn.
You have seen what happens to Hawthorn when Roughead is injured or can't fire a shot (2011 & 2012 GF). Lose Hale and Roughead plus a ruckman and your team fall right back to the pack.
Smalls can be replaced if you have the right depth which Hawthorn do but you do not have depth in the key forward position as Shoenmakers, Sphanger, O'Brien indicate at this point in time.
Hey man, does it bother you that much that the Hawks have gone B2B?? Man, the gap opened up really quickly from the second half of the Rd 22 game to the finals didn't it? I mean look at the crap 'panic' trading period you guys just went through...it's all to do with Hawthorn and how to bring them undone. It hurts I know but it will pass once you win B2B! Go Hawks.

Hey man, does it bother you that much that the Hawks have gone B2B?? Man, the gap opened up really quickly from the second half of the Rd 22 game to the finals didn't it? I mean look at the crap 'panic' trading period you guys just went through...it's all to do with Hawthorn and how to bring them undone. It hurts I know but it will pass once you win B2B! Go Hawks.

Hey man, na not really, well not as much as what my posts seem to stir you up at least.
It's not like we're St Kilda who have been starved of premiership success. Only 3 years to the day since our last one.

Now it's time to climb the mountain again. Only issue, has Hawthorn already began their descent?
Because I truly think so :)

Hey man, na not really, well not as much as what my posts seem to stir you up at least.
It's not like we're St Kilda who have been starved of premiership success. Only 3 years to the day since our last one.

Now it's time to climb the mountain again. Only issue, has Hawthorn already began their descent?

A bit like your view of the whole 'mission accomplished' saga :)

How is it separate, any more than say Geelong 2011 being separate from '07 and '09? It's a 7 year window compared to 5, not too different.

Geelong had a few more triple premiership players but Hawthorn's core group played in all 3 - Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughie, Birchall + Rioli. We had the same coach for all 3 as well.
And you guys lost one of the best players in the league and still went on to win it. IMO it's way too early to call team of the century. All depends what happens next year. A Hawks win has Hawthorn sitting as the best team of this era.

do you think that hawthorn is officially the 3rd best team in this century ? Brisbane with 3 peat, Geelong superstar team and now Hawthorn has won 3.. safe to say that they r the 3rd best ? or which team would b higher than hawthorn ? Syd? West Coast? Port? whoever else hehe.. i forget.. But i personally think they cemented their top 3 spot after this grand final.
Hard to say. I think the Hawks were devastating this year , proved to be so far above the other gun sides.

But over the journey Geelong have been a huge power since 2007, Sydney have 2 flags and Brisbane played in 4 won 3,
Hawks have 4 appearances and 3 wins.

I think maybe Brisbane were in top power for 4 plus years then dropped off. Hawthorn have been about for the last three years but were out of it a bit from 2009 to 2011 then lost 2012, so they bounced around inconsistant until 2012.
So for me the power house with dangerous potential in this 21st century is the Cats. I put Hawks second , Lions third and Sydney fourth.

What happens in the next three years will tell .

I'm biased of course but I think my club will become invincible for a while. Can't last forever, but it is so hard to get to the level the Hawks have set for themselves , its like its in their blood now, they replace soldiers , and the replacements know the game plan to a fault.

And all have fire in their belly to win a flag . Look at Whitecross, his love for the Hawks builds his need for a flag. There's a few like that.

Very hard to get to that standard and hold it with more than 22 first picks, the mind set is win , they have more ready to step in and do the same.

Its like the Romans at their peak. Its discipline and steel belief in your selves. These kids all seem to have it.

How do others get to that level, they just keep trying thats how , and they will and some other power house will evolve. Bloody fantastic hey?

Clarkson , perhaps the greatest coach , ever?

yeh because that didn't happen to Geelong.

I think the key difference though is this.

Everyone thought that Geelong would cope without Ablett in the middle (which they did). However, for about 7 years people were saying Hawthorn basically had no hope without Buddy. Hawthorn were too one dimensional, Hawthorn didn't have any other avenue to goal, Hawthorn relied too much on Buddy to kick bags for them, and Roughead would be exposed without Buddy, etc etc.

They were all wrong.

Dead wrong.

Too many Lols at hawks supporters stroking themselves and each other in this thread. Mighty precious indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compare that to the fields that Brisbane and Geelong went through to win their flags and you'll find the Hawks had it far easier competition wise.

Who did Geelong and Brisbane go through?

Brisbane, beat an excellent Essendon side who were just about to fall off the proverbial cliff, and then Collingwood :eek: Port were very good but prone to self imploding.

Geelong. 2007 is one of the most single sided seasons in history. They could not beat the Hawks the following year and then it was St Kilda. Pies were good but maybe not as good as everyone thought.

So the Hawks have three premierships, and I would challenge anyone to argue that Geelong and Sydney (this year) were not in the top 3 of all beaten GF teams since 2000.

If we are basing this on who the grand final opponents were then the Hawks win. Saying the Hawks have taken advantage of transitional periods is complete crap.

Hawthorn had a gap in 09,10',11' and missed finals in 09.

Is it really a dynasty when you miss finals?

If they win it again next year to me the dynasty will have started it 2013
We made finals in 07,08,10,11,12,13,14

If it looks, smells and feels like one, then it probably is.

It seems we have..remember the numbers 36 & 63! Great symmetry if you look at them hard enough. Geelong are irrelevant to Hawthorn, stop trying to be a rival so hard we don't like you.

Who did Geelong and Brisbane go through?

Brisbane, beat an excellent Essendon side who were just about to fall off the proverbial cliff, and then Collingwood :eek: Port were very good but prone to self imploding.

Geelong. 2007 is one of the most single sided seasons in history. They could not beat the Hawks the following year and then it was St Kilda. Pies were good but maybe not as good as everyone thought.

So the Hawks have three premierships, and I would challenge anyone to argue that Geelong and Sydney (this year) were not in the top 3 of all beaten GF teams since 2000.

If we are basing this on who the grand final opponents were then the Hawks win. Saying the Hawks have taken advantage of transitional periods is complete crap.

When you compare the opponents to each premiership team:

Brisbane 2001 - Essendon (1 premiership)
Brisbane 2002 - Collingwood (0 premierships)
Brisbane 2003 - Collingwood (0 premierships)

Geelong 2007 - Port Adealaide (1 premiership - but very different team)
Geelong 2009 - St Kilda (0 premierships)
Geelong 2011 - Collingwood (1 premierhsip)

Hawthorn 2008 - Geelong (3 premierships)
Hawthorn 2013 - Fremantle (0 premierships)
Hawthorn 2014 - Sydney (1 premiership)

You could make an argument that Hawthorn had arguably the toughest opponents. Brisbane beat a very tough Essendon side, which ultimately under performed. Geelong beat a very good Collingwood, but they were really only contending for 2 years. Hawthorn beat a champion Geelong team, and a red hot favourite in Sydney.

Only 1 of the 3 teams mentioned played the GF's at their home ground.
You must hold you 2012 gf in high esteem then.

In your opinion what was a the more triumphant victory, SYDNEYS 2012 or HAWTHORNS 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back