AO TV Coverage Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

But Ch7 still don't know Kerber's proper name. It is Angelique not Angie and definitely not Ange unless it is by your true friends. And I should know because that is my name.

thank god channel 7 cant ruin the tennis till next yr... oh hang on they still got davis cup and fed cup to ruin :( really wish foxtel would just broadcast davis cup that shouldn't have to be on the anti siphoning list

thank god channel 7 cant ruin the tennis till next yr... oh hang on they still got davis cup and fed cup to ruin :( really wish foxtel would just broadcast davis cup that shouldn't have to be on the anti siphoning list

I would be very peed off it Davis Cup or Fed Cup wasn't on FTA. Definitely something that should come under the anti-siphoning laws IMO. There is buckleys of them being take off as they involve national teams which is pretty much what the laws are all about.

Ch9 would probably do a better job than ch7
Channel 7 has had the broadcasting rights since 1975/1976 so I can't see them relinquishing them now for the Australian Open.

It would be nice if channel 9 had the rights of Wimbledon after they lost them a few years back to channel 7.

Ch.7 coverage of Wimbledon isnt that bad normally*. it was a massive improvement on Nines back in the day. CC or a couple matches on the outside, featuring Australians is probably the best you can expect a FTA channel to do for an overseas tennis event. the commentators are all in tennis and there are not as many fluff pieces, probably because all the casuals go to bed, so only the hardcore nut jobs watch it in the wee hours. i mean, i love Newc wishing some mens player to just serve and volley their way out of trouble. it is sort of relaxing in a drinking game sort of way.

Ch.9 once tried to con us that a Stosur game was live. see link below in media watch. they were worse than Ch.7. they never used the 2nd channel, so coverage started at 10:40(though laws at the time might have prevented the use of a GO or GEM to broadcast Wimbledon)

Seven get a bad rap in this forum. but well, have u seen channels nines cricket coverage in the last decade since the old guard retired. Seven will continue coverage of the open for decades to come. unless one of Ten or Nine lose their cricket TV deals, i cant see either seriously outbidding 7. Seven need the Aus Open to build their TV line up, like how nine and Ten need their cricket TV deals to do the same.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2618306.htm

*(i wasnt in the country last year, so experience is based on 2014)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with 7 has never been about the coverage so much except the odd issue here and there but the commentary on the other hand is appalling.

I've seen enough of 9's cricket coverage to say I'd rather listen to radio commentary than listen to the current brigade. We really did take Richie Benaud for granted back in the day.

i dont mind todd and newc. i cant remember who else is normally on the coverage for Wimbledon. but im fairly relaxed to commentary.

i understand why ch.7 have host/main commentator, for the Aus Open. They their to talk up all the new shows on TV and ask the all stupid questions like a companion in Doctor Who. they have their place. but i do agree that these guys need to be better researched and have a greater understanding, as well as letting the special commentator do most of the talking. I think Todd gets a bad rep on this forum, cause he does this certain commentating better than anyone else in seven. sure, he is no Big Bash commentator, but he 100x better than Bruce and 1000x better than Basil and Hamish.

Last edited:
Yea I know we are stuck with ch7 for the Australian open

I always enjoyed ch9's coverage of Wimbledon because they just focused on tennis with real commentators

Channel Nine's coverage of Wimbledon, especially in the last few years was horrific. A disgrace to broadcasting in Australia. I'm still angry the way handled that last year they had it, pretty much skipping the Isner/Mahut match, showing meaningless ODI games over coverage etc.

Channel Seven have come a long way in a few years and the amount of tennis they show is incredible. At least with their Wimbledon coverage, it's live and starts from 8.30, when play begins and generally focuses on the tennis. With Nine you were lucky to get it before 11.30 while the Footy Show was running 30 min overtime.

People have such short memories, Seven's coverage did take a step back this year as far as AO goes (what I saw of it) but it still is by far the best we have been offered and will be offered on a FTA station in this country.

Hearing that Paul Mcnamee has been added to the commentary team for this year's AO series.

Interesting choice. Interesting person. TA probably wouldn't be too thrilled.

A bit OT but I came across this 1980 doco about McNamee and life on the circuit. Looking back now a bit funny and cheesy but an eye-opener as well.

Interesting choice. Interesting person. TA probably wouldn't be too thrilled.

A bit OT but I came across this 1980 doco about McNamee and life on the circuit. Looking back now a bit funny and cheesy but an eye-opener as well.

Ever heard him in the box before? Surely he can't be worse than the idiots we have in charge!

Ever heard him in the box before? Surely he can't be worse than the idiots we have in charge!

Long-time administrator (incl AO CEO and Hopman Cup director) and for a few years he coached a couple of female players (Su wei Hsieh, Anett Kontaveit). I think it's just way for him to stay involved with the game.

Might as well get it kicked off for 2017. You'd think that Fitzgerald would have a good understanding of the mens game, but he clearly follows little of the ATP tour year round. He just compared Thiem and Dimitrov as having the same body type and games. I mean does he actually watch Thiem at all? Compare him to more of a Wawrinka type, much stockier than Dimitrov and plays with a lot more power and aggression compared to Grigor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back