Opinion Arrogant Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

My 2c.

Every team has flog supporters, especially when winning. Trust me you guys are no exception.

When your up people hate you. Just the way it is.

I like Collingwood now but when you win a couple of flags (I'm pretty confident you will in the next 5-6) I'll be probably whinging about your supporters too.

My 2c.

Every team has flog supporters, especially when winning. Trust me you guys are no exception.

I like Collingwood now but when you win a couple of flags (I'm pretty confident you will in the next 5-6) I'll be probably whinging about your supporters too.
I much prefer you begin your whinging this weekend.
If that's ok with you.

My 2c.

Fair call about each side having flog supporters.

The point about unsociable football remains. The line between unsociable and unsportsmanlike is too often blurred. I wouldn't want my son playing the game the way the Hawks do (at times) in that respect. You have the most capable side, just not the side I most admire.

that was a ripper game and is a fav of mine re watched it up to our last goal could not watch that last couple of minutes back then but it was sitting on the edge of your seat stuff all game and the noise was awesome

Agree 100 per cent H H.......awesome game......second best game I have witnessed after the 2010 replay for me anyway.

I made the mistake of taking my two year old son to the game.......for three quarters you smashed us just not on the score board.......I was quite calm (never done that before at the footy I blame my child's prescence that day)

That all changed when Bally scored that goal.....I threw my child (Max) in the air.......to this day he is still scarred......I know it "could" be construed as child abuse but WE did win in the end :oops:

Back on topic i love the Hawks (please don't shoot me fellow Pies supporters) because they just get the job done!

We rightfully won a Premiership in 2010 and should of won in 2011 (sorry will never get over that loss) but what I term the Collingwood "Rockstar" mentality took over that year.....e.g ....Cloke Contract................and NotmyfaultOus (Malthouse) individual ideology hijacked our season. Unlike the Hawks mentality.

You don't lose in the last round by 90 odd points if you are focused on the Ultimate Prize.......Arrogance is ok in my books as long as everyone is focused on the ultimate prize.

That is why I believe you guys will go back...back.....back. Unsociable football is a b.....t term that the media is running with. Who gives a f...k if Mtchell told the Bombers they took injections?!?! Is he lying?

Doesn't mean I would not like to smash your team this Friday :D

What I don't understand or like about Hawthorn is their arrogance. Little cheap shots and sledging are a consistent part of their approach. Mitchell's injection taunts today were a prime example of their attitude. The media are calling it "unsocialable football" but it is more than that. They have been the most arrogant club for a long time and it is embraced and reflected by their supporters.

As a Hawk supporter since the Huddo era I am concerned that a side relying on "cheap shots" is a sign of a great side at the start of a decline.

eg. All the silly acts that got Geelong players reported last year.

I was floating around Richmond station yesterday around the time the game finished. Had a Hawthorn supporrer across the road walking while saying "All his club's are bad. He's wearing a Melbourne City snapback and a Leicester City shirt..."

The glory hunting flog probably supports Chelsea & Melbourne Victory the arrogant spud.

Geelong & Hawthorn supporters are easily up there with the most hated in the league for the past handful of years (other than us) by a country mile.

/Rant

As a Hawk supporter since the Huddo era I am concerned that a side relying on "cheap shots" is a sign of a great side at the start of a decline.

Your team is in the top four after going back-back. It isn't a result of the "cheap shots" as has been mentioned it is because they are a top four team!

You have had a great experience if you have followed the Hawks from the Huddo era.......enjoy the ride you might witness something special this YEAR.

Well I should hate Hawthorn but I don't.
My brother is a Hawks supporter and I can tell you they've had the wood on us since about 1976 !!!!!
3 of my best mates are Hawks supporters but they know their footy and for some reason we unite and bag the Essendon, Carlton and Tiger fans in our circle.
It's an unholy alliance but it's one we enjoy. They've even given up the Malthouse/Buckley saga and are now on board with Bucks, enjoying MM's failure at the Blues.
The Hawks are just a dam fine football side and Clarkson always seems to be a step ahead of the pack. I don't give a stuff about how many elbows and knees are implemented. If we can't withstand that stuff then we're unworthy.
Since 2011 they've beaten us on the inside and then beaten us on the outside, hence why we can't get near them.
Am hoping that we might be able to match them in close this week which has been our big improvement this year.
Anyhow I've gotta get back to my loathing of the Blues, contempt for Essendon/Hird, and prepaqre myself for the joy that the Tigers will no doubt provide in September.

Fair call about each side having flog supporters.

The point about unsociable football remains. The line between unsociable and unsportsmanlike is too often blurred. I wouldn't want my son playing the game the way the Hawks do (at times) in that respect. You have the most capable side, just not the side I most admire.
Prob fair enough in a way, especially recently.

We wernt that bad pre the north game. Now every little love tap that our players do is talked about and scrutinized. stuff like this happens every game and not even noted. When we do it it's all about "the unsociable hawks" which is frustrating. This is not the place to expect sympathy but the media inflate it. The north game wasn't a good look however and I was pissed at our players for that.

Geelong were every bit as dirty/unsociable us as - Sellwood ducking, Stevie J harmless sniping and refusing to shake hands, Scarlett wracking blokes etc. Was rarely ever discussed.

The last 2 incidents involving Mitchell were absolute non issues. The media need issues to attempt to inflate to sell stories.

If we really are that unsociable, do you reckon we might be able to facilitate a trade for Marley Williams? Great player and he might fit right in;)

We wernt that bad pre the north game. Now every little love tap that our players do is talked about and scrutinized. stuff like this happens every game and not even noted. When we do it it's all about "the unsociable hawks" which is frustrating. This is not the place to expect sympathy but the media inflate it. The north game wasn't a good look however and I was pissed at our players for that.

Geelong were every bit as dirty/unsociable us as - Sellwood ducking, Stevie J harmless sniping and refusing to shake hands, Scarlett wracking blokes etc. Was rarely ever discussed.

The last 2 incidents involving Mitchell were absolute non issues. The media need issues to attempt to inflate to sell stories.

If we really are that unsociable, do you reckon we might be able to facilitate a trade for Marley Williams? Great player and he might fit right in;)
Agree with what you say. Mitchell issue is a media beat up. Whatever happened to what happened on the field stays on the field. We all know all manner of sledging goes on between teams. It shows they care.

The answer is no on Marley but I do reckon he fits the Hawk player mould pretty well.

Enjoying the level of discourse.

Scarlett came across as a very ordinary person didn't he? Good player, s**t bloke. And that perfectly encapsulates my point.

The Hawthorn coach publicly requests "unsociable football" as an objective for the players, so the media shines the spotlight on every on-field example they get.

I'm uncertain that the injection gesture by Mitchell was appropriate, but it wasn't thuggery. :) OK, I admit, I laughed... and no, you can't have Marley. I shudder to think what Clarkson would transform him into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi mate just to let you know 90 percent of pies supporters dont have an issue with your club. As an avad and old school pie fan there are quite a few clubs that i dont like and i see as arrogant and that are in front of the que such as the blues bombers and tigers.
Yes i would like to see the baby pies cut you down this Friday night, if it happens or not it wont change the fact that Hawthorn is not seen as a traditional enemy by Collingwood.
To the pie fan that started this thread dont forget one of Hirds sickening and infintile reasons for starting Essendon on the suppliments program was his belief that Collingwood was superfit and pretty much called us drugies in 2010 and 2011 and wanted his club to compete with Collingwood. Which he also claimed he hated!
If you ask me good on Mitcheill , and for Essendon if the shoe fits wear it!

Really bad week for a thread like this it could get real ugly come 11pm Friday night...

How so? I have my opinion and plenty of others have a different perspective. The discourse has been respectful and interesting. The result on Friday won't change that.

How so? I have my opinion and plenty of others have a different perspective. The discourse has been respectful and interesting. The result on Friday won't change that.

The more respectful will have their say now. The less respectful will wait and if/ when the result goes their way they'll slither out...

The more respectful will have their say now. The less respectful will wait and if/ when the result goes their way they'll slither out...

That's fine with me.

Of course it is because you aren't a mod :confused:

On a side note good luck to them winners are grinners! I only wish we had the same attitude to winning that club has.

They are winners and I acknowledged that in my opening post. Personally I don't think they need to carry on with the cheap shots and sledging but that's just my opinion. I do find some of their supporters arrogant but then as many have pointed out the same can be said about other clubs, including our's. I don't think Hawthorn will try much against us because there really isn't that nasty rivalry there, besides they probably don't need to anyway to get the job done.

They are winners and I acknowledged that in my opening post. Personally I don't think they need to carry on with the cheap shots and sledging but that's just my opinion. I do find some of their supporters arrogant but then as many have pointed out the same can be said about other clubs, including our's. I don't think Hawthorn will try much against us because there really isn't that nasty rivalry there, besides they probably don't need to anyway to get the job done.

If you have ever heard Michael Voss talk about the mantra of the Brissy Lions he speaks about aura and how they knew they could beat teams without kicking a footy. The lions new they could bully other teams into submission, sometimes it was verbal, a lot of the time it was physical and it always ended up being mathematical in the end.

Luke Hodge and Voss have a lot of similarities and when your respective coaches are Leigh Matthews ( just as tough and talented as he was a thug ) and Clarkson ( well we know the history there) it's a fair assumption your footy club is going to be somewhat unsociable.

I wouldn't have our boys any other way, they play with a sense of confidence and ease knowing that over the duration of a season the process will get them through.

Friday night is gonna be huge, biggest game of the season for both clubs. Being a Friday night I think we will get 80+, atmosphere will be electric. If we can put a hold on Cloke we will win, if he gets a hold of us we are in big trouble.

Let's be honest, leaders set the standards and the rest move within those standards. Although Clarkson demands a high standard to training, recovery, lifestyle etc. he does demonstrates that it's alright to be abusive, intolerant etc of others if it serves a self-absorbing purpose. And that's exactly why Lake, Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, etc. will never come under any scrutiny within the club because the club is reinforcing to them that this behaviour is acceptable.

Let's be honest, leaders set the standards and the rest move within those standards. Although Clarkson demands a high standard to training, recovery, lifestyle etc. he does demonstrates that it's alright to be abusive, intolerant etc of others if it serves a self-absorbing purpose. And that's exactly why Lake, Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, etc. will never come under any scrutiny within the club because the club is reinforcing to them that this behaviour is acceptable.

Pretty spot on Id say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back