Game Day Hawks v Pies official practice game - Thursday March 2 @ 5:10pm - UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

You and one or two others who have similar views on him. I got no issue quoting you.

Wow he had controversy over not receiving head high contact that he should of.

He provides not only goals but creates goals, creates space, directs forward traffic constantly, footy smarts, excellent inside 50 kick, clutch moments, performs under pressure player. He is one of the best footy IQ players on our list despite being 19.
I don't think he is limited to being inside 50 player either long term.

Hill for example touched it 6 times for a goal and 5 score involvements.
That is much more inigimatic performance.

Round 3? why not round 5, 12 or end of season.

If Ginnivan doesn't cone straight back in he will be back soon enough and won't go back out.

Spot on Loki, not sure where the ginni stuff is coming from but I can assure everyone that come the last game of the year for us, Ginni will be firmly entrenched in that side. He's only getting started, he has lots more ability to give including going in the midfield

I’m also very much on the fence here.
On TV he looks amazing….there is no question about his goal kicking skills. but without the footy he is a liability.

I think the funniest moment last year was against North when Stephenson and him both had to go…and stevo beat him for hardness!

If he ever plays midfield we are in serious serious trouble!!

He’s very slow. Far too slow by foot to play anywhere but up forward.
Far too soft in the contest to play anywhere but up forward. goes to ground as soon as he feels Pressure. Which worked early because it generated frees.
Doesn’t actually scare defenders or make them nervous at all….and usually the defence just waltz out when he around.

I would say for every 2 goals he kicked, I’ll show you one the other way that can be directly attributed to him and a defensive action he didn’t do….
And the goals he did kick, was it because he was super smart and ahead of the game? Or was he the recipient of a defensive action upfield and simply got out the back?

Don’t get me wrong, I like him. I’m just being objective about what I see.
I see a heap of Jack Anthony in him. Great set shot. But not much else.
Different opinions is what makes this forum great!

He’s only 19….so I’m hoping he becomes better at his deficiencies. I’m just not sold he is a Future superstar….

I’ll have a much better idea after I see him play live this year. I just don’t think he’s a walk up start for round 3 (pending injuries/suspensions).

One thing I think is relevant is that we are playing quite a few players who are new to the club which may expose us even more on the turnover with our defensive positioning etc. I’m sure it takes some time to learn the structure properly. Frampton, Hill, McStay and Mitchell are all going to take time to be up to speed with our system so maybe this is why we aren’t looking too bad offensively but seem to get scored on reasonably easy.

Ginnivan on the flipside is a 19yo who kicked 40 plus and was unlucky not to have more due to a in season interpretation change and then blatant disregard for ANY high contact he received there after.

Hill does however provide much better defensive application and speed.
[Insert GIF of Old El Paso 'Why not have both?']

You don’t defend in the preseason
Why not? Both defensive and offensive skills and running patterns matter and get better with practice. You don't go as hard as often, but you'd still want your players practicing their defence.

I’m also very much on the fence here.
On TV he looks amazing….there is no question about his goal kicking skills. but without the footy he is a liability.

I think the funniest moment last year was against North when Stephenson and him both had to go…and stevo beat him for hardness!

If he ever plays midfield we are in serious serious trouble!!

He’s very slow. Far too slow by foot to play anywhere but up forward.
Far too soft in the contest to play anywhere but up forward. goes to ground as soon as he feels Pressure. Which worked early because it generated frees.
Doesn’t actually scare defenders or make them nervous at all….and usually the defence just waltz out when he around.

I would say for every 2 goals he kicked, I’ll show you one the other way that can be directly attributed to him and a defensive action he didn’t do….
And the goals he did kick, was it because he was super smart and ahead of the game? Or was he the recipient of a defensive action upfield and simply got out the back?

Don’t get me wrong, I like him. I’m just being objective about what I see.
I see a heap of Jack Anthony in him. Great set shot. But not much else.
Different opinions is what makes this forum great!

He’s only 19….so I’m hoping he becomes better at his deficiencies. I’m just not sold he is a Future superstar….

I’ll have a much better idea after I see him play live this year. I just don’t think he’s a walk up start for round 3 (pending injuries/suspensions).

For mine he has Sidebottom smarts not just positioning and play reading but body work in contests, he’s very clever for example at timing body work on players under the high ball with his barge arse to move them off the line.
He goes to ground not because he is soft it’s because he is trying to exploit the rules. Soft players don’t deliberately put their heads in situations to have it removed multipLe times a game every week like him and Selwood do.

Improving his explosiveness and strength through squats, dead’s and lunges whilst working with a sprinting coach would help improve his pace to at least stop it from being seen as a deficiency.

If you want to use someone as a tagger in the real season, it needs practicing.

As Sam Mitchell said in regards to tagging young Nicky D.

“He’s too damaging to let free wheel with ball in hand so he better get used to it.”

This will be his next evolution in his game and should probably seek advice from the most tagged man in history Nathan Buckley.

As Sam Mitchell said in regards to tagging young Nicky D.

“He’s too damaging to let free wheel with ball in hand so he better get used to it.”

This will be his next evolution in his game and should probably seek advice from the most tagged man in history Nathan Buckley.

Shows how good Nick Is.

Other teams after 1 Season see him as our Best Player already

I reckon JDG will miss and be rubbed out for 1 week for that tackle so out goes jdg for the cats game and lipinski set to miss half a season and back around the bye rounds. Will need a procedure and miss 12 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep did not look much in it the lipinski but looked like he cricked it and strained it was on the same fixed up shoulder too.

Kind of a crick and twist.

Be assessed but mri to reveal a bit of ligament damage and will miss 3 months back in mid june.

JDG miss 1 week.

Looks like we may have to wait til Monday for news on lippa.

Collingwood is optimistic it will have only Jack Ginnivan and Pat Lipinski out of its first-choice side against Geelong as it awaits medical advice on a shoulder dislocation for its strong-bodied midfielder.
The Pies will have to wait until Monday’s match review officer findings on Jordan De Goey’s sling tackle on Hawthorn’s Lloyd Meek.

But they will be confident it was of lesser force than the incident that saw him handed a one-week ban for a sling tackle on Geelong’s Patrick Dangerfield last year.

While he rotated and dumped Meek, his decision not to drive him into the ground could see the match review crew let him off with a fine or without any charge.

Defender Brayden Maynard missed the victory over the Hawks with a minor leg infection but is in no doubt to take on Geelong on Friday week at the MCG.

It means the Pies have their choice of defenders as they decide if they can squeeze both Nathan Murphy and ex-Crow Billy Frampton into their side.

The Pies were also able to play Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron as twin talls while also playing Brody Mihocek and Dan McStay as key forwards.

Bobby Hill locked in his round 1 spot with another strong display for a Pies side that has suspended Ginnivan until round 3 after he was caught snorting a white powder.

The Collingwood players have a four-day break so no decision on Lipinski is expected until next week after his MRI scans are assessed after a shoulder dislocation.

But Lipinski might need another shoulder reconstruction given the problem with playing with an unstable shoulder if players forgo surgery.
His Pies teammate Nathan Kreuger dislocated his shoulder in round 2 last year, missed two weeks strengthening the joint, then suffered the same injury in round 6 against Essendon.

He eventually needed shoulder surgery that saw him returning for two finals and then had a second reconstruction in January this year after continuing issues.

Pies assistant coach Brendon Bolton said the Pies were hoping Lipinski’s shoulder injury was not severe after he played all 25 games in his first year for Collingwood last season.

“We’ll get scans and work out the severity,” Magpies assistant coach Brendon Bolton said.

“He’s a great young man so we’ll cross our fingers. We hope it’s on the lighter side.

Markov is a taller better marking version of Noble, reckon these two will be in/out depending on form. Don’t mine Markov, like some players who have played limited games over seasons, just need a run of games and belief, same goes for Frampton.

Still think we are 1x KPB & 1x KPF from a flag.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Markov is a taller better marking version of Noble, reckon these two will be in/out depending on form. Don’t mine Markov, like some players who have played limited games over seasons, just need a run of games and belief, same goes for Frampton.

Still think we are 1x KPB & 1x KPF from a flag.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Even though we didn’t have a spot, I was hoping Markov would make his way home to South Aussie. Well done on selecting him, he’s a handy player.

For mine he has Sidebottom smarts not just positioning and play reading but body work in contests, he’s very clever for example at timing body work on players under the high ball with his barge arse to move them off the line.
He goes to ground not because he is soft it’s because he is trying to exploit the rules. Soft players don’t deliberately put their heads in situations to have it removed multipLe times a game every week like him and Selwood do.

Improving his explosiveness and strength through squats, dead’s and lunges whilst working with a sprinting coach would help improve his pace to at least stop it from being seen as a deficiency.
Yeah not soft. He spends most of each game trying to get his opponent to punch him in the head to draw a free.

Awesome awareness of his opponents and body positioning, very clean hands under pressure and athletically more suited to the midfield. I expect him to spend time there in the future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back