Australia is a nation of White Privilege

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish! Not sure that my Indigenous Australians neighbours would agree.

I'm sure all the poorly educated and poverty stricken people whose skin colour does zero for them in life won't agree with you.

Tell me who is the more privileged of these two men? Which one of them is well off and can walk among circles of very affluent people, frequent the places they do and have influence over them.

MichaelLong-422x400.jpg

vs

Homeless-man.jpg

Bostonian is spot on that wealth determines priviledge. Arguing over whether a dirt poor whitefella has more priviledge than a dirt poor blackfella is, to quote flogwithnoname, not seeing the forest for the trees.

I'm sure all the poorly educated and poverty stricken people whose skin colour does zero for them in life won't agree with you.

Tell me who is the more privileged of these two men? Which one of them is well off and can walk among circles of very affluent people, frequent the places they do and have influence over them.

MichaelLong-422x400.jpg

vs

Homeless-man.jpg
Lets just say that I prefer apples to oranges, but don't let that stop you trying to move goal posts further apart.
Still you are good for a laugh.

When you can address my posts on their merit, instead of twisting the narrative to suit your own, I'll consider responding.

Your view is Australia is a nation of "white privilege". When someone doesn't agree with you and points out why they don't agree and explain why it's then "twisting the narrative".

I suppose that means you started this thread for your own narcissistic needs and didn't actually want anyone to provide any other views that don't agree with your own.

Your view is Australia is a nation of "white privilege". When someone doesn't agree with you and points out why they don't agree and explain why it's then "twisting the narrative".

I suppose that means you started this thread for your own narcissistic needs and didn't actually want anyone to provide any other views that don't agree with your own.

I'm not going to hold your hand and walk you through this. However, you have been rather disingenuous with your replies to my posts today.

If that's the way you want to play it, then fair enough. But don't expect a reasonable reply.

Carry on with the ad hominen.

Lets just say that I prefer apples to oranges, but don't let that stop you trying to move goal posts further apart.
Still you are good for a laugh.

Do tell how suggesting in this nation money talks is "trying to move the goal posts"?

When in fact it's challenging the theory that it's your colour and ethnic background which gets you anywhere in life.

Is that it? You hate to be challenged on your ideas? That you're always right?

That sounds like some privilege right there if you're always right.

I'm not going to hold your hand and walk you through this. However, you have been rather disingenuous with your replies to my posts today.

If that's the way you want to play it, then fair enough. But don't expect a reasonable reply.

Carry on with the ad hominen.

It's all about your opinion and your need for others to support it, not debate it.

It's all about your opinion and your need for others to support it, not debate it.

No it isn't. It's about addressing the points within a post instead of going off on a completely different tangent because it suits your point of view.

You seem rather apt at that.

Well practised even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it isn't. It's about addressing the points within a post instead of going off on a completely different tangent because it suits your point of view.

You seem rather apt at that.

Well practised even.

You start off with a story of a guy whose kid is a high achieving kid.

To use one of his quotes:

But rather than reaffirm her identity, Maiala’s success denies her Aboriginality, with people often shocked when they hear how well she is doing.

What exactly does this prove? Who are these people who are "shocked"?

He's projecting a view here that we can't use as evidence of anything because it is not evidence of proof that her indigenous background plays any part in these "supposed" views others hold. Where is the context?

The way he uses the word "shocked" all the time is being a drama queen. Indigenous Australians have been invited overseas as academics/artists for a long time now. So to suggest they aren't viewed as being capable of great things outside of Australia is in itself pushing a negative view of aboriginals by the author.

Australia is known exclusively as a country of white people.

More average writing. We are known as one of the most ethnically diverse nations in the world.

Where are his source references for this opinion?

If you think I moved away from your discussion I apologise.

Hopefully the above addressing of the article bring it back on track.

Let's begin with my OP...

Now, of course, this opinion will be pilloried by many because they don't ever do this to black people, so it must be imaginary. What they don't see, do, or feel just can't be happening.

Or some white people will be certain that because they have never felt the curse of white privilege themselves it can't possibly be true.

I can't think of a better poster to back this up if I tried.

I can only imagine that your ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY on this issue comes from anecdotal experience and observation.

As a parent of aboriginal kids and a life time resident with aboriginal people in general, (apart from the previous few years), I'd like to share mine.

Initially it was your irritation at the term 'white' despite the commonality of colour being used in everyday aboriginal/white communication.

You've gone a bit quiet on that one.

You start off with a story of a guy whose kid is a high achieving kid.

To use one of his quotes:

What exactly does this prove? Who are these people who are "shocked"?

They'd be the same people who express shock when my son and a white apprentice enter a home to do a job and are 'shocked' to find out that the blackfella is the tradie.

Or the patients in the hospital who are 'shocked' that the dark girl is a registered nurse.

Or the people of the country town where I live who are 'shocked' that the 15 yr old coloured girl is bi-lingual.

It proves that there is a widely held preconception about aboriginal kids and UNDER-achievement.

He's projecting a view here that we can't use as evidence of anything because it is not evidence of proof that her indigenous background plays any part in these "supposed" views others hold. Where is the context?

Again, how can you come to this conclusion without experiencing it yourself?

You're talking rot.

The way he uses the word "shocked" all the time is being a drama queen. Indigenous Australians have been invited overseas as academics/artists for a long time now. So to suggest they aren't viewed as being capable of great things outside of Australia is in itself pushing a negative view of aboriginals by the author.

Again, people ARE shocked. We are dealing with generational bias and thinking here.

More average writing. We are known as one of the most ethnically diverse nations in the world.

It may be poorly written, but it is right on the money.

We are considered as a white country overseas. The knowledge of our indigenous heritage is basically non-existent, despite your bluster about a few athletes and academics going overseas.

Seriously, just how many people do you think these people influence? It's minimal in the extreme, I assure you.

Where are his source references for this opinion?

Real life interaction from around the globe and here?
If you think I moved away from your discussion I apologise.

You did. Accepted.

Do tell how suggesting in this nation money talks is "trying to move the goal posts"?
When in fact it's challenging the theory that it's your colour and ethnic background which gets you anywhere in life.
Is that it? You hate to be challenged on your ideas? That you're always right?
That sounds like some privilege right there if you're always right.
When you compare apples with apples then I might find your posts noteworthy.
If I posted a picture of the Queen and another of a homeless person or Evonne Goolagong Cawley, what would it prove?

Let's begin with my OP...

I can't think of a better poster to back this up if I tried.

I can only imagine that your ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY on this issue comes from anecdotal experience and observation.

As a parent of aboriginal kids and a life time resident with aboriginal people in general, (apart from the previous few years), I'd like to share mine.

Initially it was your irritation at the term 'white' despite the commonality of colour being used in everyday aboriginal/white communication.

You've gone a bit quiet on that one.

Yes but you've used your experiences to create a massive sweeping statement. About a percieved concept of "white privilege".

And yes. My life experiences with aboriginals don't match yours.

Maybe you need to shift towns.

They'd be the same people who express shock when my son and a white apprentice enter a home to do a job and are 'shocked' to find out that the blackfella is the tradie.

Or the patients in the hospital who are 'shocked' that the dark girl is a registered nurse.

Or the people of the country town where I live who are 'shocked' that the 15 yr old coloured girl is bi-lingual.

It proves that there is a widely held preconception about aboriginal kids and UNDER-achievement.

Where do you live? Seems it's a shitty place to live.

When I was in high school in the 80's the most popular kid in a school of 800 boys was an aboriginal kid. Such was his popularity he was voted School captain by his peers. He was the school Dux. Rod Kenny his name was. A hell of a lot of kids looked up to him.

In primary school we had an aboriginal kid named Colin Silcock jnr, one of the most popular and funny kids at the school.

As such growing up I had very high and positive opinion of Aboriginals. As did everyone at those schools.

I still carry that view today. That aboriginal kids are capable of great achievements just as much as the next kid.

Again, how can you come to this conclusion without experiencing it yourself?

You're talking rot.

Because of the above. I've seen Aboriginals be held in high esteem and achieve a hell of a lot.

Does that mean they don't occasionally come across an idiot and their opinion? Of course not.

Does it mean their aboriginality held them back, in my experiences, no it didn't.

If anything it gave them a great edge, something to make them stand out in a positive way.

Again, people ARE shocked. We are dealing with generational bias and thinking here.

So if 1 person is shocked and a 100 aren't. Does that make the accusation of the author factual?

You need a resounding % of people with such opinions and reactions to make something indisputable.

I'm not sure that could be produced or proved to back up the original statement. In that case anecdotal evidence is not enough to cast a sweeping statement like that.

It may be poorly written, but it is right on the money.

We are considered as a white country overseas. The knowledge of our indigenous heritage is basically non-existent, despite your bluster about a few athletes and academics going overseas.

Seriously, just how many people do you think these people influence? It's minimal in the extreme, I assure you.

I've lived OS for many years in my younger years. We are not simply considered a "white" country. When I was in Boston in the 90's I had a Korean woman in a store ask me is it true there are a lot of Asians in Australia. To which I answered yes. Because there are.

Let's be honest here, we're really only known for touristy stuff.

The actual knowledge of any of Australian history is non-existent OS. It's our Fauna that is known by OS people, they know very little of anything else that's happened here, but they know about Kangaroos and Koalas. And if you're looking at iconic things about our nation there are some very aboriginal things which are iconic. Boomerangs, Didgeridoos etc are part of our cultural fabric.

Real life interaction from around the globe and here?

So if a negative response is registered. What of the people who don't show any reaction?

Is he saying every single interaction he has with a non-aboriginal person leads to the same reaction?

Having sat on many job interview panels I can tell you that I've seen people react for want of a better word "shocked" when they have a resume in front of their hands of a highly intelligent well credentialed person who comes from a shitty suburb (Corio in this case).

Aboriginality might be one barrier for some, but it's not on it's own as a barrier that all walks of life face.

And that's why I still hold the view that "white privilege" is a false concept. I hold that view because me personally, I'd never hire a "white" person over another person due to their "whiteness" nor would I accept language or views that would place one group above another.

I was taught that everyone is equal and deserves a chance. It's what you do with that chance that defines you.

You did. Accepted.

Cheers

Of course you can come up with individual examples to prove or disprove any theory.

What does this prove?

We are all individuals.

No I'm not!:rolleyes:

Australia is generally a land of White opportunity. The other groups have less life opportunity in general.

Its hard to change that. However Educational opportunities are really the best at improving social mobility. So we need to focus on that.

No I'm not!:rolleyes:

Australia is generally a land of White opportunity. The other groups have less life opportunity in general.

Its hard to change that. However Educational opportunities are really the best at improving social mobility. So we need to focus on that.

Why do so many Asians succeed here then? I think Australia is a great place of opportunity for anyone who is head down arse up and works hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back