• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Here we are. The final the organisers would have wanted after Nick withdrew. The winner gets the trophy and the girl(ala, the number one ranking). Can Novak equal Nadal or will Stefanos win everything and start building schools all throughout Victoria with his prize money?

Novak Djokovic (4) VS Stefanos Tsitsipas (3)
e0e93a0f51728e12c8d39f62cec7d58c
vs
b4a61df95d0fc495562bd93b076e8fb9

Head to Head

H2H-DJokovic-vs.-Tsitsipas-696x512.jpg

That is a lot of Head meetings. basically, Tsitsipas has won 2 out of 12 non-exhibition meetings and has not beaten Novak since Oct 2019. This includes the French Open Semi Final and Final in 2020 and 2021. Both of those matches were won by Novak in 5 sets.

Road to the final
27.01.Djokovic N. - Paul T.SF7-5, 6-1, 6-2
25.01.Djokovic N. - Rublev A.QF6-1, 6-2, 6-4
23.01.Djokovic N. - De Minaur A.R166-2, 6-1, 6-2
21.01.Djokovic N. - Dimitrov G.3R7-6(7), 6-3, 6-4
19.01.Djokovic N. - Couacaud E.2R6-1, 6(5)-7, 6-2, 6-0
17.01.Djokovic N. - Carballes Baena R.1R6-3, 6-4, 6-0

27.01.Tsitsipas S. - Khachanov K.SF7-6(2), 6-4, 6(6)-7, 6-3
24.01.Tsitsipas S. - Lehecka J.QF6-3, 7-6(2), 6-4
22.01.Tsitsipas S. - Sinner J.R166-4, 6-4, 3-6, 4-6, 6-3
20.01.Tsitsipas S. - Griekspoor T.3R6-2, 7-6(5), 6-3
18.01.Tsitsipas S. - Hijikata R.2R6-3, 6-0, 6-2
16.01.Tsitsipas S. - Halys Q.1R6-3, 6-4, 7-6(6)

Odds (Via Tennis abstract)
Novak Djokovic 68.9%
Stefanos Tsitsipas 31.1%

Novak has had an interesting 12 months. Firstly, he got deported last year when everyone was watching a live stream of a bunch of lawyers going through the immigration law of Australia. Fun times. He had an indifferent 2022, where he only won one Grand slam and 5 titles, but lost his number 1 ranking and was unable to turn up to a lot of tournaments. He arrived in Australia and there were worries he would be booed out of the building. Thankfully, outside a couple of Wallys, the reception from his fans has been loud and proud to overwhelm any indifference towards him. Alas, his dad started another spot fire which created more drama....

Lets talk tennis. He won Adelaide in the perfect prep for this tournament, with a tough final against Korda where Novak saved a Championship point. Then(perhaps?) Novak hurt his hammy(more drama) and even dropped a set against a complete no-name in the 2nd round. The rumours were around; Can he finish the tournament? Well yes. His form since his 4th round match is the Novak of old. He has dropped 20 games in his last 3 matches and has destroyed 2 seeds in the process.

Tsitsipas last year was disappointing at the grand slam level. He was schooled by arch-nemesis Medvedev at the Aus Open Semi, annoyed by Nick in the 3rd round a Wimbledon and lost in the first round at the US Open. He did win 3 titles so it wasn't all bad and entered the Aus Open as the 4th seed. Tsitsipas started 2023 winning all his matches at the United Cup. His road to the final has been steady and under control for the most part. He always seemed to have another gear, showcased by his amazing ability to save break points this tournament. Sinner was a real test but beating Sinner in 5 sets has been a good sign for future success in grand slam levels. (Novak did it at Wimbledon and Alcaraz did it at the US Open)

The world number 1 is the cherry on top of the Norman Brooks Challenge Cup to the winner. So, all to play for here. Novak has never lost in the final here in Australia. He has won 9 titles here already. You be a brave man to tip against him. Tsitsipas has had lapses in previous matches but has been able to save himself from trouble with a good serve and forehand. Novak is the perfect counter to this with his return and speed.

Going for Novak in 4

Last edited:

The tall poppy syndrome mentality in Australia will leave many frustrated with the result.
Lol.

Australian crowds seemed more than fine with Federer and Nadal. Before that they had plenty of time for the likes of Agassi and heck even Sampras. I guess they just weren’t tall enough poppies and that’s why they were mostly liked and Djokovic isn’t? Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Anyway, back to the tennis. Djokovic has a 10-2 record over Tsitsipas so realistically one would expect him to take this out. They’ve only met twice in grand slams though, and both went to 5 sets (albeit on clay). So fingers crossed this is a great contest.

Won't happen as he'll probably win in straight sets, but god dame would be absolutely delicious & memorable to see a Novax choke here.

It would be so wonderful but it wont realistically happen.

Luckily winning another title wont win novax any friends though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't happen as he'll probably win in straight sets, but god dame would be absolutely delicious & memorable to see a Novax choke here.

Federer and Nadal fanbois, knowing very well that Djokovic is mentally the toughest of the three and can't admit it, but still hoping for this abnormal Novak choke! And before you jump up and down about how unliked Novak is in comparison to those two and will never be in the same league, Nadal is actually my favourite player of the three.

Only two ways Novak doesn't equal Nadal in slams - Stefanos plays absolutely lights out with minimal errors, or Novak twangs his hammy.

Depends on how well Stefanos serves.
Djokovic has been breaking serve every set this tournament, and wth ease too. Novak just relies on defence on the serve and then get easy points.
That backhand of his is a real fragility too. Lechecka exposed it, albeit loss the key points. Djokovic won’t do the same.

Stefanos better than just a Buckley's chance of posing with the Norman in his best bib and tucker and a bubbly on the banks of the Yarra tomoz.

Novak the greatest tennis player of all time should snag this one through the big sticks for the sealer though.

Win/win.

Last edited:
I voted for stef just because I really want him to win, but I have a feeling novax will win, probably in 4 sets.

Federer and Nadal fanbois, knowing very well that Djokovic is mentally the toughest of the three and can't admit it, but still hoping for this abnormal Novak choke! And before you jump up and down about how unliked Novak is in comparison to those two and will never be in the same league, Nadal is actually my favourite player of the three.

Only two ways Novak doesn't equal Nadal in slams - Stefanos plays absolutely lights out with minimal errors, or Novak twangs his hammy .

Yeap, and a typical Djoko fanboi coming to his defence. I never asked for your opinion, nor did I ask a question. Simply stating who I'd prefer to win just like you prefer Novak to win.

Btw, what's with you djoko fans thinking everyone is a Federal or a Nadal who goes against him lol?

Haven't supported anyone religiously since A Roddick. I prefer an upset tonight and if that means a Novak choke so be it. I'll support who I want 🙂

Back