Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point being that over the last couple of years on this site I've found that posters feel as though they need to propose changes in order to sound relevant. So could someone explain to me apart from him being a young and promising quick, what has Hazlewood as the alternative suggested done recently to deserve a test spot over Siddle or anyone else for that matter?
As said I'm on the side of giving Siddle first crack, but he has Hazlewood breathing down his neck. Haze is bowling extremely well at the moment and has a great first class record over the past few years. The obvious downside is a lack of first class cricket but hopefully that will be fixed over the next few weeks.

If Sid gets the nod, and I think he will, it'll be in his court to cement his spot but he is going to have to improve a lot in the first two weeks.

Is Handscomb as smokey for the series against India? Read somewhere that he was averaging 100 in three games so far, all whilst having to hold the gloves for a few games. Can bat anywhere in the middle order and looks likes a promising player for the future, could be an idea to blood him at 3 or 4 instead of Joe Burns?

Is Handscomb as smokey for the series against India? Read somewhere that he was averaging 100 in three games so far, all whilst having to hold the gloves for a few games. Can bat anywhere in the middle order and looks likes a promising player for the future, could be an idea to blood him at 3 or 4 instead of Joe Burns?

No no no....let him score bulk runs for a season or two in the shield

no

Quick question - After India do we have any more tests before the '15 Ashes?

I have heard that we're meant to tour the Windies but apparently England are touring them before the Ashes and I have no idea where that series could possibly fit in.

Cheers, you would think it would be beneficial to get a series in between the world cup and England. Whereas our home tests are played out in the front half of our summer (or close to it), the Ashes typically don't start till the back half of the English Summer, usually around mid July. If there is no series in between that is a long time without test cricket leading into an Ashes.

I mentioned him in another thread (future batting prospects or something). He has always looked like a quality batsman and is now getting the runs on the board, but it will be at least 12 months of solid runs before the selectors even start thinking about him. Burns is looking terrific and is probably the next young batsman coming through, but with Warner and probably Hughes to come back, he may have to move down the order to get a gig.

I mentioned him in another thread (future batting prospects or something). He has always looked like a quality batsman and is now getting the runs on the board, but it will be at least 12 months of solid runs before the selectors even start thinking about him. Burns is looking terrific and is probably the next young batsman coming through, but with Warner and probably Hughes to come back, he may have to move down the order to get a gig.

I just think he's more suited to team needs at the moment, has shown more consistency than Burns, already established as a middle order batsman and has been required to stand up more regularly than Burns. I just think he's a better and more underrated prospect at this point

Burns is so much better it isn't funny. He's been forced into opening as well, is a middle order bat at heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think he's more suited to team needs at the moment, has shown more consistency than Burns, already established as a middle order batsman and has been required to stand up more regularly than Burns. I just think he's a better and more underrated prospect at this point

Shown more consistency than Burns?

Handscomb has had three good games to start the season. It's great for him and Australian cricket but it's a third of one season.

Burns has performed reasonably well for a number of years and despite his inconsistencies does have a career average in the 40s.

I've realised over the last couple of afl seasons that this a a very fair argument to make, so many times player X is cooked and should be replaced with player Y. Even if player Y is unproven.

The point being that over the last couple of years on this site I've found that posters feel as though they need to propose changes in order to sound relevant. So could someone explain to me apart from him being a young and promising quick, what has Hazlewood as the alternative suggested done recently to deserve a test spot over Siddle or anyone else for that matter?

No player is immune from being dropped but on one hand we have a posters on here advocating for Hughes to be given a go as he has performed at shield level (despite an ordinary test record) whilst Siddle performs at shield level and some still want him gone:drunk:

It seems performing at state level is only a relevant argument for some players.

you realise that was a joke don't you hence the ;)

Siddle is a 6/10, Hazelwood might be a 7/10.

Warner
Rogers
Watson
Ferguson/Marsh/White
Smith
Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/Hazlewood
Lyon

Very thin batting lineup with only Warner and Smith in good form. Lucky we aren't playing the South Africans, Phillander, Steyn and Morkel would have a field day if they got Warner early.

With Marsh and possibly Watson in the team?

Yeah 5 quicks no spinner at the gabba would just be a weird lineup.

It's weird we get all these people complaining that lyon struggled on low turners and really only does his best work on aussie pitches with bounce and then they want to dump him as soon as we get back to those pitches with bounce.

Bit like people saying rogers failed on turners so lets dump him now after the turners right before we tour england, the very tour they surely had in mind when they kept rogers in the test side.

It's weird we get all these people complaining that lyon struggled on low turners and really only does his best work on aussie pitches with bounce and then they want to dump him as soon as we get back to those pitches with bounce.

Bit like people saying rogers failed on turners so lets dump him now after the turners right before we tour england, the very tour they surely had in mind when they kept rogers in the test side.

Lyon bowled very well at the Gabba last year from memory, can't remember what his figures were. But you can't drop him, if we're bowling last we'll definitely need a spinner and not even just for then.

Not only that, playing 5 quicks is a waste of time, you'll end up with none of them bowling a 'full' lot of overs, and our over-rate will be rooted.

I was assuming they would be smart and pick Maxwell ahead of Marsh ;)
You mean smart like reverse sweeping off your eighth ball whenn you have to bat a day and a session to save a test match?
Squad being named tomorrow. 2 weeks before the first Test. And Mark Waugh has confirmed what most of us already knew.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/mark-waugh-says-cricket-australia-forced-selectors-to-pick-test-side-early/story-fni2fnmo-1227130115519
Imbeciles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back