• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
So, here we are. Another summer, and another Aus Open.

This is the thread to use throughout the tournament to make predictions. We probably go for daily threads again to keep the discussion current and make it a one-stop shop to look at the schedule and basic news.

For the first time since 2019/2020, the word Covid is either non-existent or basically ignored. Novak is in the country and winning tournaments, no player had to do hotel quarantine and no new illness running rampant around the world. But despite all that time, the men's game is still the same. To win the title, you have to beat either Nadal or Novak. Sadly, too much tennis means the youngest-ever world number 1 is missing due to injury.... didn't stop him from playing exos in December....

Going to use Tennis Abstract: 2023 Australian Open Men's Draw Forecast Forecast for these. Let their computer do some numbers

36.1% Novak Djokovic
9.9% Stefanos Tsitsipas
7.2% Felix Auger Aliassime
6.9% Daniil Medvedev
5.5% Holger Rune
5.5% Taylor Fritz
4.3% Jannik Sinner
2.8% Andrey Rublev
2.7% Alexander Zverev
2.5% Casper Ruud
2.3% Matteo Berrettini
2.1% Cameron Norrie
1.0% Alex De Minaur
0.5% Rafael Nadal
0.0% Nick Kyrgios
10.7% Others

Interesting. Not sure I would give either Nick or Rafa a .5% chance. Sportsbet has them at $15(Nick) and $17(rafa). Still, I see the logic. The computer does not like the amount of tennis that has been played by both of them and the level of it. I personally didnt see Nadal ever winning a hard-court grand slam for the last 5 years. But, as we saw last AO, beating Nadal takes more than good tennis; it takes a special effort mentally.

4th round based on seedings

Nadal (1) vs TIAFOE (16)
Medvedev (7) vs HURKACZ (10)
Tsitsipas (3) vs SINNER (17)
Auger-Aliassime (6) vs NORRIE (11)
---------------------------------------
Rublev (5) vs RUNE (9) (Nick is here)
Djokovic vs CARRENO BUSTA(14) (Alex is here)
Fritz (8) vs ZVEREV (12)
Ruud (2) vs BERRETTINI (13)

Predictions
Winner
Novak for me. His record here at Aus is unmatched bar Nadal at the French, Has had the perfect prep with a tight 3-set win at the final of Adelaide. He hasn't played too much tennis nor has the tennis been poor or overly uncompetitive. It seems most of the drama from last year is forgotten by the wider sporting public, or at least the ones who will actually pay to watch him.

Dark Horse
Sinner. Was tempted to go FAA but I don't like the amount of tennis he has played so far. Sinner has now had an off-season with Darren Cahill, and we know how good of a coach he is, especially at the Aus Open with Agassi. Sinner has the talent and I feel it is time for that to ripen. Will lose in the final but I expect this quarter of the draw to be very interesting.

Player to watch who could do damage
Korda. The guy played well in Adelaide has shown to be dangerous.
The courts this year look super quick(at they look hot). Look for Cressy to annoy serve-volley his way to
the 2nd week again,

Poor Tournament
Nick. You need actual matches mate. I am also unsure about the reception he is going to get after a month of talking. Lose to Rune, the first half decnet player he plays against.

Headline
Albo apologies to the world for Nick Kyrgios after he defaults his match

The Girls.
Normally, there are several past champions hovering around. This year, most of the past winners have either gotten pregnant or retired or both. It leaves only Kenin and Azarenka as former champs, and they play each other in the first round. So, there is a high chance of a new winner.

"Odds" again from the Tennis abstract.
32.1% Iga Swiatek
6.2% Ons Jabeur
5.9% Jessica Pegula
5.6% Aryna Sabalenka
4.5% Anett Kontaveit
4.3% Maria Sakkari
4.3% Belinda Bencic
3.8% Caroline Garcia
3.6% Petra Kvitova
2.6% Paula Badosa
2.6% Veronika Kudermetova
2.5% Liudmila Samsonova
2.2% Cori Gauff
2.1% Madison Keys
2.0% Daria Kasatkina
1.5% Danielle Collins
1.3% Elena Rybakina
12.9% Others

I think that list showcases the giant Barty/Williams/Osaka hole on the women's side. I think if you ask most people who Jess Pegula is, the actual 3rd seed, most would not be able to tell you anything about her. It really lacks names and needs someone to really step up and take it to Ons and especially Iga.
4R by seed

[1] Swiatek vs. [13] Collins
[11] Badosa vs. [7] Gauff
[3] Pegula vs. [15] Kvitova
[10] Keys vs. [6] Sakkari

[8] Kasatkina vs. [9] Kudermetova
[16] Kontaveit vs. [4] Garcia
[5] Sabalenka vs. [12] Bencic
[14] Haddad Maia vs. [2] Jabeur

Winner
I am a fool, but going for Sabalenka. I don't know, after all the times we have waited for her to make the final, let alone win one, why I am going to go against Iga. But Sab is in a tough section and I feel that will be helpful. And Iga will lose to Collins in a heated match.

Dark Horse
126 players in this field is a dark horse. Can the 3rd seed be a dark horse??? I will go for Collins. She smashed Iga last year, why can't she do it again?

Player to watch who could do damage
Schmieds...now here me out. She qualified without dropping a set, a former finalist at Hobart showcases that she likes the surface. She is a former top 30 player who has beaten big seeds at a slam before...once.

Donna Vekic. Good all-around game and had a good end of the year.

Poor Tournament
Kvitova. It is going to be hot, look for an early melt.

Headline
new winner, 3 new semi-finalists. Does women's tennis need a new champion to lead it?

Back