BBL Match 27 Melbourne Stars v Melbourne Renegades 1845hrs @ the MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mankad in T20? Just make it a short run, they give a no ball over centimetres, you can be run out by a bee's dick, why not the same with batsmen who are taking more than a little license with their backing up down the wicket? They have the technology. I have no issue with the "Mankad" being a normal legitimate way of dismissal in T20 cricket in the modern era. This BS of it being not in the spirit of the game stuff has got to go...

different sport but you cn be "run out" in baseball if you leave the base beafore the ball is pitched.

I was always told at the non-strikers end to watch the ball at all times, as he is running in, as he is bowling, as it goes towards the other batsmen, etc .. You can start to get momentum but keep you bat in the crease. Not that hard.

Mankads are totally fair enough. In T20 or any other form of cricket. No warning needs or should be given by the bowler. None of this bowling arm had gone past the vertical axis rubbish either.

Also completely disagree with Brad Hodge's post match comments on the incident.

It's easy to avoid being run out this way.

The non-striker doesn't leave the crease until he/she has seen the ball leave the bowler's hand. If the non-striker attempts to leave before this then they risk being run-out.

It's little different to being stumped. You'd never wander out of your crease if the keeper had the ball.

Last edited:

'Mankad' is simply an attempted run out by the bowler. So should any attempted run out, (or stumping or LBW that are given N.O), be given a run penalty?

Lets just keep it simple, accept the rules & get on with it. Cheating batsmen may stop cheating for a change.
A failed mankad is like stopping a footy match for a headcount and then being wrong. Just a waste of everyone's time. I've no problem with the dismissal in general but if you get multiple failed attempts a game it just gets tiresome.

A failed mankad is like stopping a footy match for a headcount and then being wrong. Just a waste of everyone's time. I've no problem with the dismissal in general but if you get multiple failed attempts a game it just gets tiresome.

There won't be mass attempts if the non-striker stays behind the crease until the ball is released. Same way a keeper doesn't take the bails off everytime he gloves the ball from a spinner.

Same if every time the ball is thrown back to the keeper & he takes the bales off.

The Umpire would soon warn them for time wasting, then take action.

In reality it doesn't happen in either case. Players just want to get on with the game.

Its not an issue.

It just triggers the 19thC BS about cricket 'etiquette' that people have been suckered in to.

The key is for batsmen not to cheat.

Back