Ben Cunnington vs Tom Liberatore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libba leads the league in clearances, is 4th in tackles laid, 5th in contested possessions and has much more effective disposals than cunnington.

It was a tongue in cheek comment showing the the statement "Liberatore gets more clearances then Cunnington" is actually false, no shame in young Tom being number 2 though.

As for the other stats, Cunningtons ED% is ridiculous considering 63% of his disposals are contested, Libba with only 43% has a clear advantage in the category so it's a bit useless to use it. As for contested possessions Libba averages less then 1 extra contested touch a game and one every 4.7 minutes compared to Cunners rate of one per 4.3 minutes.

And tackles is pretty moot as Brad Scott instructs his players to corral more

I don't put much stock in "per minute" stats personally. AFL clubs these days manage their player's (and specifically mids) minutes very carefully, so the Roos would know exactly how long Cunnington can stay out on the field for. Besides endurance also being a positive attribute, who's to say Cunnington would be able to get the same numbers as Libba if he had the same amount of game time? He'd probably be too stuffed to go near it.

As for the poll, still Libba, but I'm loving watching both go about it this season.

I don't put much stock in "per minute" stats personally. AFL clubs these days manage their player's (and specifically mids) minutes very carefully, so the Roos would know exactly how long Cunnington can stay out on the field for. Besides endurance also being a positive attribute, who's to say Cunnington would be able to get the same numbers as Libba if he had the same amount of game time? He'd probably be too stuffed to go near it.

As for the poll, still Libba, but I'm loving watching both go about it this season.

This is the first time I have ever seen anyone try and use them to prove a point. I don't think you're alone :p.

This is the first time I have ever seen anyone try and use them to prove a point. I don't think you're alone :p.

It's another way of saying TOG% which is a favourite for North supporters.

This year Libbas been better.

Cunnington had pretty poor results at the draft combine with his tank when he was drafted. He's still a bit shaky in that area. Exactly the same as Ziebell.

The stats so far pt 2...

Tom Liberatore...
2013 Statistical Rankings
dot.gif
Ranked 12th in Total Handballs
dot.gif
Ranked 16th in Total Disposals

dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Total Tackles
dot.gif
Ranked 20th in Total Supercoach Score

dot.gif
Ranked 19th in Total Dreamteam Score
dot.gif
Ranked 3rd in Total Contested Possessions

dot.gif
Ranked 16th in Total Effective Disposals
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Total Clearances

dot.gif
Ranked 13th in Tackles Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 5th in Contested Possessions Per Game

dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Clearances Per Game

Ben Cunnington...

2013 Statistical Rankings
dot.gif
Ranked 13th in Total Contested Possessions
dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Total Clearances

dot.gif
Ranked 9th in Contested Possessions Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Clearances Per Game

That's just copy pasted from footywire. It puts up stats where the player is in the top 20 in the league.

Fair enough.
They are both having good seasons. We will have to wait a while before we find out who is/will be better as they continue to develop. The player with the higher ceiling to pull further away as the seasons roll on.

Fair enough.
They are both having good seasons. We will have to wait a while before we find out who is/will be better as they continue to develop. The player with the higher ceiling to pull further away as the seasons roll on.

Not really. Cunnington is having a good season but hasn't been as consistently brilliant as Liberatore. He's got some catching up to do in order to be considered as good as Liberatore.

Fair enough.

Here's the head to head stats every way you can compare it. 2013, Same age and Career.

dptt8j.png

I wouldn't put too much faith in Cunningtons TOG% getting higher. It's only risen 3% since he started.

*You'll need to click the picture to enlarge it.

Not really. Cunnington is having a good season but hasn't been as consistently brilliant as Liberatore. He's got some catching up to do in order to be considered as good as Liberatore.

Libers season has been workman like, I wouldn't call him brilliant.

Here's the head to head stats every way you can compare it. 2013, Same age and Career.

dptt8j.png

I wouldn't put too much faith in Cunningtons TOG% getting higher. It's only risen 3% since he started.

*You'll need to click the picture to enlarge it.

Not to mention an extra year to a young mid is obviously very important, as you can see going by Cunners year last year to this year, if Libba has that same improvement imagine next year :eek: I thought north supporters said cunners had missed a fair bit of his early career through injury, has nearly played a full seasons worth of games more, and Libbas been a pretty durable player and been in the team as long as I can remember (besides the suspended games last year) so it doesn't seem like cunners has missed that many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunnington came to North with a below average fitness base, he tested really poorly at the combine for fitness related tests. Then he had injuries so he couldn't do a preseason, correct me if I'm wrong but I think this year was the first full preseason he has completed.

No doubt Liber jumped out of the blocks quick, the stats show that much. Cunnington was the opposite. No doubt Liber has had the better career, hell Cunners didn't really start playing good consistent footy till half way through last year.
This is about who is/ will be the better footballer and my dough is on Cunners. You see him do things that are brilliant. He can also take a contested grab and kick a goal. I rate goal kicking mids higher and I think Cunnington is just getting warmed up in this area.

Libber has been way better this year, he is arguably the Bulldogs best midfielder atm.

Cunnington is still a promising mid in my eyes, but will still finish top 5 in the B&F.

He's building nicely, not sure there is even an argument, and I'm not sure why North supporters need to bicker about it, we should be content with what we've got, which imo, is a better overall midfield atm.

Watching the games > looking at stats, as always

Libba is better in both instances. Quite easily. No slight on Cunnington through, he just needs more time to build his tank. Please stop using TOG% and Clearances per minute as proof Cunnington is the better player. Part of being a good player is having a good tank. He'll be a good player probably top 50 for a long time, but I think Liberatore is easily ahead now and has more runs on the board in terms of BOG performances.

Watching the games > looking at stats, as always

Libba is better in both instances. Quite easily. No slight on Cunnington through, he just needs more time to build his tank. Please stop using TOG% and Clearances per minute as proof Cunnington is the better player. Part of being a good player is having a good tank. He'll be a good player probably top 50 for a long time, but I think Liberatore is easily ahead now and has more runs on the board in terms of BOG performances.

I didn't mean it as proof Cunners is a better this year, don't know how somebody could argue Libba isn't having the better season

I just really like those stats

Libba just continues to amaze me, he is a machine!! Another 30 disposals, 8 clearances and 5 tackles, going at 80% DE. Could even make AA on this form!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back