Moved Thread Ben Griffiths Contract Discussion - SIgned

How much would you offer Griffiths per year (assume 2yr contract)?

• Lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 4.5%

Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 67 43.5%

Votes: 42 27.3%

Votes: 6 3.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Higher

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
We can easily play 3 talls in the foward line

HF ****** Griffiths *****
FF Riewoldt - Vickery - ******

We must also take into consideration that these 3 will only play 70% of game time together at 11 time as both Tyrone & Ben will be also Rucking at different times.

Ben Griffiths showed last night how mighty that kick of his is and can really change games when you kick it to FF from the center which not only puts immense pressure on the backs from defending against Tyrone & Jack which they are very likely to give away a free kick if they are not out marked .

The real Dilema will come when McBean is Ready and boy will he be dangerous around Goals.

Ben Griffiths is at a stage atm where other clubs will be interested in him but wont pay him $500k as he hasnt really achieved anything and is still a work in progress but they will easily offer him $1mil - $1.1 over 3 years or $1.5mil over 4 years just to try and get him across

We should be able to secure his services around 15% - 20% cheaper , Dont forget that after tax its less than the gross figure and he wont move for 20-30k Per year

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are suggesting and what price for his 3/4 year contract?

I'd be willing to give him 350k to 375k for next year based on his current form (slightly front ended of the first 2 years so free up some room for the year after with Cotch, rance, dusty contracts), In his second year of contract it falls to 300k, 400k if he is playing a playing well, then 3rd year 150-200 if he isn't getting a game or 350-450 if he is playing and playing well and roughly the same deal in his last. He may look at is and think...nice...potentially 1.7 mil over 4 years and sign....in reality....given the salary cap is due to rise, and if he is playing well in his 4th year then we have done pretty well. On the other hand....if he's goofing we are only paying him 950 over the 4 years...which again....in his 4th year if he's only getting 150k because he isn't playing well I suspect that will be pretty close to the most basic wage.

I'd like sumthn like that. Both parties get a decent incentive if things work out.

Griffo will now be hunted big time by the Dogs as Patton is no longer an option
As I said earlier they offered Patton $900k based on potential
Griffo has shown more potential than any other young tall of late. And that booming kick is worth $200k Just for entertainment .
I reckon he wants $450-500 based on potential and a greedy managers opinion. This deal has stagnated all the latter part of the season and its obviously the price that's not right
Get it done Tigers he with Ellis and Flossy are our next A graders

Griffo has shown more potential than any other young tall of late. And that booming kick is worth $200k Just for entertainment .
I reckon he wants $450-500 based on potential and a greedy managers opinion. This deal has stagnated all the latter part of the season and its obviously the price that's not right
Very hard which way to turn really with Griff.Shows glimpes but then can go missing.Question is are the Doggies desperate enough to give up their 1st rnd pick for him?If so i'd just about do it.

As if the Bulldogs are going to give their 1st round pick (circa 5/6) for Griffiths. Even a pick in the top 15 would be over for Griffiths. Their 2nd round pick & a fringe player with potential would easily get it done.

Get serious guys.

As if the Bulldogs are going to give their 1st round pick (circa 5/6) for Griffiths. Even a pick in the top 15 would be over for Griffiths. Their 2nd round pick & a fringe player with potential would easily get it done.

Get serious guys.
Ok maybe not,But would they be desperate enough to give us pick 5/6 for our pick 7/8 or whatever plus their 2nd rnd pick?

Get serious guys.

Get serious, a Bulldogs team with no depth has no fringe players of any currency. Griffiths is worth far more than their 2nd pick.

Griffith's is worth at least a top 10 pick and their first rounder is not far off it

Last edited:

you'd pay him $500k to stay?

Get served serious, a Bulldogs team with no depth has no fringe players of any currency. Griffiths is worth far more than their 2nd pick.

How do you figure?

Griffiths is a tantalising prospect but other then the Essendon game, he is yet to put anything near a 4 quarter performance. He will be 23 next year and into his 6th season. He averages less then 9 ppg, 0.7 gpg, 4.5 mpg.

To put it in perspective, he averages less disposals, and half as many goals as their current young forward Liam Jones. They also have Stringer and Crameri. They won't go for a half-baked option. If your willing to drop a 1st round pick, go big or go home. That is, go for a Cameron, Boyd, Lynch, Patton (maybe not now), that will cost you a top 5 pick. Not a 23 yo who has never kicked more then 2 goals in a game that you think is worth a top 15 pick.

Look at the players who have demanded 1st round picks in the past, all of them have far greater outputs then Griffiths. BG is still 75% potential, 25% output at this stage.

And your call on the Bulldog is just ignorant. They have plenty of young up and coming players who would be good prospects to look at.

Please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep without an issue
hes a potential power fwd with a huge kick and hes now throwing his weight around
priceless considering guys like Newman Griggs and Houli are around 350-400
when was the last decent big power fwd since RICHO at the club??Don't say JR8 Please ;)

$500k is massive coin to pay for potential

it will also have significant inflationary effects on our other players price demands (anyone out performing Griff would be an idiot to accept less), so it will cause some of our young players to leave

$500k is massive coin to pay for potential

it will also have significant inflationary effects on our other players price demands (anyone out performing Griff would be an idiot to accept less), so it will cause some of our young players to leave
thats list management Geelong hnd Brisbane had it now we have to convince guys the dream is nigh

thats list management Geelong hnd Brisbane had it now we have to convince guys the dream is nigh
We didn't pay Dusty what he demanded and in the end got him to stay for what we thought he was worth.
We didn't pay White what he demanded and in the end he left for the coin.
We shouldn't pay Griffiths what his manager demands we pay him. We should pay him what we believe he is worth, IMO that is about $250-300k per year for 2-3 years. If he chooses to go then he goes and with the demand we should get a decent return on him going. As the club has shown no one holds the club to ransom, we've got a pay structure in place to ensure we keep our list in good shape and we should be sticking to that no matter what.

We didn't pay Dusty what he demanded and in the end got him to stay for what we thought he was worth.
We shouldn't pay Griffiths what his manager demands we pay him. We should pay him what we believe he is worth, IMO that is about $250-300k per year for 2-3 years. If he chooses to go then he goes and with the demand we should get a decent return on him going. As the club has shown no one holds the club to ransom, we've got a pay structure in place to ensure we keep our list in good shape and we should be sticking to that no matter what.

I agree with this sentiment. The only problem with this is that, as he is out of contract, he can always go into the draft/PSD and be picked up for free. We have less negotiation power.

I agree with this sentiment. The only problem with this is that, as he is out of contract, he can always go into the draft/PSD and be picked up for free. We have less negotiation power.
There would be a number of sides that would want him as such a trade would most likely be done to ensure he got to where ever it was he wanted to go.

How do you figure?

Griffiths is a tantalising prospect but other then the Essendon game, he is yet to put anything near a 4 quarter performance. He will be 23 next year and into his 6th season. He averages less then 9 ppg, 0.7 gpg, 4.5 mpg.

To put it in perspective, he averages less disposals, and half as many goals as their current young forward Liam Jones. They also have Stringer and Crameri. They won't go for a half-baked option. If your willing to drop a 1st round pick, go big or go home. That is, go for a Cameron, Boyd, Lynch, Patton (maybe not now), that will cost you a top 5 pick. Not a 23 yo who has never kicked more then 2 goals in a game that you think is worth a top 15 pick.

Look at the players who have demanded 1st round picks in the past, all of them have far greater outputs then Griffiths. BG is still 75% potential, 25% output at this stage.

And your call on the Bulldog is just ignorant. They have plenty of young up and coming players who would be good prospects to look at.

Please.

Your way off the mark!

Griffith's worth is about Dogs first rounder. I will explain in a minute

Firstly, Griffith's goals and long kicks are worth more than normal possessions to him but also the team. Fact is Griffith's helps the team play a lot better. If Griffith's was playing in this role up the ground consistently like Richo on the wing and Goods for the Swans I think you will find RFC winning a lot more games. Not saying Griffith's is as good as Richo or Goods but his effect on the team is important in his current role and how he helps Lids Martin etc...play better

Now when talking about a players worth rating players true level is important. Patton without the knees is easily ahead of Griffith's. But that doesn't, mean Griffith's isn't worth the dogs first rounder. For example Patton in this draft,without knee issues, would be worth at least pick 1 and 2. Like when I was talking about trading Lids for the O'Meara pick, Lids was worth that pick and sweetners.

The thing with Griffith's is you can't get caught up with goal and disposal numbers. It is more about structure, making the team better, effectiveness of the disposals and bringing others into the game. It is also about causing issues to the opposition and match up problems he creates as well as how long he can do it and where he is in his development.Griffith's is easily worth more to the team than Houli or Newman as a comparison.

Last edited:
I agree with you if you've read the thread, but my point is we still have a responsibility to keep him as he has the X factor to win us a flag which no other player at the club has
Lids has played 11 seasons and been on big coin for years , but he will not win us a flag as already seen
No disrespect to him , but you need Franklin Roughead types to get you close and Griffo is the closest we have
I remember Dean Polo taking Franklin apart in an Anzac Cup match at Coburg in their second seasons
Two years later Franklin kicked 128 goals and Polo was still struggling to get a gig
If the rfc think lids Cotchin jr8 and dusty will win us a flag then they've got the equation wrong as you need a mobile power fwd as your unknown quantity. Griffo is the man and when McBean comes along they will be unbeatable as we as a team will be

The figures were different then
Free agency has made it insane

agree on FA, but the cap means at the end of the day you have to live within a specific amount

if you pay every guy with potential what he wants, your cap will be done before you know it

You have to ask what price will there be giving Griff $500k in not just that cost, but other internal wage inflation, and the cost of players we will not be able to afford to keep as a result

For instance, would paying Griff $500k be worth it if Ellis walked?

Back