HB: NAS Battle Sinclair
C: Hill Crouch Wood
HF: Gresh Owens Higgins
F: Butler Cordy Membrey
FOL: Marshall Steele Bytel/Windy

Int: Phillipou Clarke Ross Stocker
Sub: Byrnes
Emg: Campbell Paton Coffield Caminiti
Going off the practice games you'll be very close. I think Ross misses with a calf injury. Bytel, Paton, Stocker, vying for two spots.
They seem confident that Windy will recover in time.

I will be disappointed if Cordy gets a game. 6 possessions and had very minimal impact in the practice match.

Yes, he probably does force a contest better than some but on the negative, I can't see him offering anything else but that.

I would much rather see Caminiti or Sharman start up forward than Cordy, the only thing Cordy has in his favour is his versatility to play a few different roles but he is a jack of all trades and master of none.

I would much rather see Caminiti or Sharman start up forward than Cordy, the only thing Cordy has in his favour is his versatility to play a few different roles but he is a jack of all trades and master of none.
Cordy is a lock to play I think. The others are competing for the exclusive forward role, Cordy will play a utility forward/ruck/wherever role.

I will be disappointed if Cordy gets a game. 6 possessions and had very minimal impact in the practice match.

Yes, he probably does force a contest better than some but on the negative, I can't see him offering anything else but that.
Do we need him to offer more than that?

If he can do that up forward and act as the 2nd ruck, he will have fulfilled his role.

Know for a fact they wouldn’t rate Cordys performance on disposals. I dare say he would be rated for how well he brought the ball to ground and competed in the air. He’s not the answer but he’s a stop gap until we have our full side. Bring the ball to ground let our smalls do the rest.

Know for a fact they wouldn’t rate Cordys performance on disposals. I dare say he would be rated for how well he brought the ball to ground and competed in the air. He’s not the answer but he’s a stop gap until we have our full side. Bring the ball to ground let our smalls do the rest.

Yeah, agreed but he didn't even get to that many aerial contests either from what I could see.

Anyway, let's just see what happens I won't be surprised if he is picked and I'll be happy if he does his job.

Last crack

Backs: Howard, Wilkie, Battle, Sinclair, Webster, Paton, NWM
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Crouch, Ross, Wood, Hill, Clark, Windhager
Forwards: Membrey, Sharman, Phillipou, Owens, Butler, Higgins, Gresham

Cordy in if Membrey out
Byrnes in if Windhager out

Last crack

Backs: Howard, Wilkie, Battle, Sinclair, Webster, Paton, NWM
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Crouch, Ross, Wood, Hill, Clark, Windhager
Forwards: Membrey, Sharman, Phillipou, Owens, Butler, Higgins, Gresham

Cordy in if Membrey out
Byrnes in if Windhager out

If Windhager is out, Bytel has to be a good chance for the tagging role after his job on Parish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cordy has to play to fill in the back up rucking role, we simply cant throw Owens into that role in his 8th game.
If Membrey and Ross are fit they will play.
I doubt the club will risk Windhager playing with a broken hand in the 1st round game.

So my side looks like the following -

Webster Howard Wilkie
NWM Battle Sinclair
Wood Ross Hill
Higgins Membrey Phillipou
Owens Cordy Butler

R: Marshall Steele Crouch

Int: Gresham, Clark, Stocker, Caminiti
Sub: Byrnes

Emer: Paton, Bytel, Sharman, Campbell

I have included Caminiti because I think he and Owens work well together and if Membrey is left with the best or 2nd tall defender he sometimes struggles. Fremantle have a very good defensive unit so we will need to pick a side that can kick a winning score.

B. Webster Howard Wilkie

H.B. NWM Battle Sinclair

C. Hill Clark Wood

H.F. Butler Phillipou Gresham

F. Higgins Membrey Owens

Foll. Marshall Steele Crouch

I/C. Bytel, Cordy, Paton, Stocker, Byrnes-sub

Emerg. Caminiti, Sharman, Windhager will play, if over hand injury.
No way on earth the kid starts or plays at CHF , do you want to kill him ?

We’ll need Cordy back..like to see Caminiti get a chance, likely as there is doubts on Membrey availability.
Surely we wont play 4 x tall defenders eg Wilkie, Howard, Battle & Cordy? I disagree I believe Cordy will play to role he did against Essendon. Webster or Stocker could be given the job on Fyfe

Surely we wont play 4 x tall defenders eg Wilkie, Howard, Battle & Cordy? I disagree I believe Cordy will play to role he did against Essendon. Webster or Stocker could be given the job on Fyfe
I don’t classify Wilkie as a tall for starters & Battle is more a hybrid size.
We’ve been too small down back for years!!

Wilkie may not be tall but it’s exactly how he plays, mostly taking the 1st or 2nd tall

It would probably be good for his game if he were able to take the third tall but unless Cordy is at least going to match his output as a key defender I don’t see the point.

I agree we could do with some more reach in defence, but height isnt everything. Look at Sydney's defence the McCartin brothers & Rampe 189cms add Francis this year. If Membrey returns and they still want to play Caminiti you may get your wish, as Cordy can play on Jackson and swing into the ruck against him when he rucks. If thats the case then Wilkie will get Fyfe which would be a safe match up for us.

Match ups - Howard vs Amiss, Cordy vs Jackson, Battle vs Taberner & Wilkie vs Fyfe.

Our forward line will be shorter but Membrey plays a lot taller. Caminiti 196-198 vs Pearce 201, Membrey 191 vs Cox 196, Owens 192 vs Hamling 194, Phillipou 191 vs Chapman 193. We will need a shut down defensive forward to play on Luke Ryan as he intercepts everything when we play them.

Last edited:
I agree we could do with some more reach in defence, but height isnt everything. Look at Sydney's defence the McCartin brothers & Rampe 189cms add Francis this year. If Membrey returns and they still want to play Caminiti you may get your wish, as Cordy can play on Jackson and swing into the ruck against him when he rucks. If thats the case then Wilkie will get Fyfe which would be a safe match up for us.

Match ups - Howard vs Amiss, Cordy vs Jackson, Battle vs Taberner & Wilkie vs Fyfe.

Our forward line will be shorter but Membrey plays a lot taller. Caminiti 196-198 vs Pearce 201, Membrey 191 vs Cox 196, Owens 192 vs Hamling 194, Phillipou 191 vs Chapman 193. We will need a shut down defensive forward to play on Luke Ryan as he intercepts everything when we play them.

I never realised Caminiti was so tall. Has fantastic dexterity to go with that height. Carlton messed up not signing him. I hope he plays next week for structure and the learning experience.

Stocker? on Ryan

Hopefully Van Es comes along quickly, he's exactly the size we need.

Gresham no CBAs, will he mainly be a forward or was it because Bytel came in and can only really play midfield?

Will Billings allow him to the middle more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back