Vic Best and worst train stations in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Have only taken the Sydenham line once, but I feared for my life. Never again. Tottenham was probably the worst, and unfortunately was my stop on that particular day. I got away with my wallet, phone and all internal organs so I count myself lucky.

I took it nearly every day for years. Tottenham is relatively safe but eerily quiet, I reckon. It's a bizarre suburb, Tottenham. A tiny housing estate absolutely dominated by a massive factory that blocks out any exit to the west. The local milk bar sells hi-visibilty jackets and assorted safety workwear. And in one garden the occupants have a huge religious statue.

I remember when I first got my P's going through that intersection and getting into one of the biggest panic modes I've ever been in.

From memory I basically closed my eyes and hoped for the best that I would end up on High St going towards Thomastown.

Made it too. :thumbsu:

Seriously though...
ressatrainstation.jpg

Crossed the road there once, train was coming so boom gates down, pedestrian light at this section wasnt working (or so it seemed). Spent about 15 seconds looking in every direction to see if any cars were coming, seeing as I had no idea which way they would be coming from. I was on my bike, because there's a bike path down High st once you get through this maze. Just as I decided it was clear and rode out, I saw a truck coming about 50m away from a direction I had overlooked.

Had I ridden out a few seconds later, there's a fair chance I'd be dead. And it wasn't careless/reckless either, it's just a ****en ridiculous intersection.

Have only taken the Sydenham line once, but I feared for my life. Never again. Tottenham was probably the worst, and unfortunately was my stop on that particular day. I got away with my wallet, phone and all internal organs so I count myself lucky.

I can identify with the feelings about Tottenham. There are some shocking thieves abroad out there. I lost my virginity, in the residence behind a hairdressing shop located opposite that station.

Don't have too much experience as I have only been on 2 lines. Hurstbridge and the one that goes through Box Hill, Laburnam etc etc and ends up at the G. Both seem fine and I would feel safe going on either one at night by myself.
However now that I have been on this thread, I would not be so trusting woth some other lines. * shifty eyes *

Used to go through Ringwood, but now go through Dandenong...Dandenong has it's reputation for good reasons.

I've only moved to Melbourne this year but have been using Essendon station to get to and from the city almost every day and have never had any problem. And I often catch the last train home after work/late night study/drinking yet have never felt unsafe on the short walk home. I did see a guy fingering a girl in the underpass (during the day), the 15 year old school kids screaming and smoking get annoying and I saw a junkie shooting up in the toilets but I've never been confronted by anyone. The weekly fresh batch of graffiti gets a tad annoying though, I swear the underpass walls are closing in due to the amount of times they've painted over the graffiti.

I've never been there, but from what I've seen I certainly don't want to go to Broadmeadows. Whenever I catch the 12:15am from Flinders during the week there's always some bum staggering on and asking "iss dis da Broady traaain?" And there's also the fortnightly crimestoppers displays at Essendon station with the latest 'attempted robbery at Broadmeadows station.'

Southern Cross would have to be the safest of the stations, and I think Flinders gets a bad wrap. The emos on the steps are annoying and it can be unpleasant at night (bums/drunks/gangs) but I've never found it to be dangerous. There's pretty much always a police presence as well as many metro workers.

Others I've used and haven't had a problem with are Oak Park, Richmond, Sandringham, Malvern, Camberwell, Moonee Ponds and the loop stations.

North Richmond seemed pretty dodgy though. I had no trouble there, but Burwood station was just creepy. It was almost empty, raining and pitch black. When the train finally arrived it went through this series of obscure, empty stations which I'm certain don't actually exist. I was rather thankfull for the seperate platforms on Ascot Vale station, as I'd just picked up a slab from Dan Murphy's and some drunk was eyeing me off from the opposite side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've only moved to Melbourne this year but have been using Essendon station to get to and from the city almost every day and have never had any problem. And I often catch the last train home after work/late night study/drinking yet have never felt unsafe on the short walk home. I did see a guy fingering a girl in the underpass (during the day), the 15 year old school kids screaming and smoking get annoying and I saw a junkie shooting up in the toilets but I've never been confronted by anyone. The weekly fresh batch of graffiti gets a tad annoying though, I swear the underpass walls are closing in due to the amount of times they've painted over the graffiti.

I've never been there, but from what I've seen I certainly don't want to go to Broadmeadows. Whenever I catch the 12:15am from Flinders during the week there's always some bum staggering on and asking "iss dis da Broady traaain?" And there's also the fortnightly crimestoppers displays at Essendon station with the latest 'attempted robbery at Broadmeadows station.'

Southern Cross would have to be the safest of the stations, and I think Flinders gets a bad wrap. The emos on the steps are annoying and it can be unpleasant at night (bums/drunks/gangs) but I've never found it to be dangerous. There's pretty much always a police presence as well as many metro workers.

Others I've used and haven't had a problem with are Oak Park, Richmond, Sandringham, Malvern, Camberwell, Moonee Ponds and the loop stations.

North Richmond seemed pretty dodgy though. I had no trouble there, but Burwood station was just creepy. It was almost empty, raining and pitch black. When the train finally arrived it went through this series of obscure, empty stations which I'm certain don't actually exist. I was rather thankfull for the seperate platforms on Ascot Vale station, as I'd just picked up a slab from Dan Murphy's and some drunk was eyeing me off from the opposite side.

Yeah, I like Essendon as well.

Broady is pretty bad, I know a few people who have been confronted there for money etc.

Based on just the station, Jacana has got to be much worse, it's a platform and that's it.

Have only been on the Belgrave/Lilydale line with any regularity and I dont get the Ringwood hate, maybe these people dont go as far as Boronia.

If theres scummers on the train you can almost guarantee they get on or off at Boronia. Druggies spinning out, guys beating up their Mrss, drunks hassling girls, they all get on or off there.

ringwood to get an upgrade http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/projects/pt/ringwood-station-and-interchange-upgrade

not sure the picture looks all that good tho.

That upgrade is only the bus interchange. I've worked with people who were part of the project set up and the security upgrades (basically CCTV) are for the Bus section only. Stupid architectural design too if I must say. Just impractcal and complety un-functional. There going to have a whole bunch of lights in the ground that are basicallay un-maintainalbe.

On the Good:Since this thread was started I've been involved with the commissioning of Coolaroo and Westall stations. Coolaroo is brand new and pretty cool but you're still gonna get shot but at least you'll be covered by the current CCTV upgrade. It also has lifts and intercoms to security staff at Victrack on the walkway.

Westall is a ripper. Complete CCTV coverage, lifts, waiting rooms with airconditioning, Staffed during train running. Roller door security after operations. Best station in Melboure ATM.

Used to go through Ringwood, but now go through Dandenong...Dandenong has it's reputation for good reasons.

I've worked nightshifts at Dandenong Railway station and to do so we had to have hired security for all the on site crews. The only place that's happened including Broadmeadows.

Whoever said Jacana was crap is dead right too. Island platform on a curve with tunnel entrance, add the area it's in and all the dark dead ground around it. It's just sacry. Hate working htere of a night time.

I had two guys follow me around at Moorabin station one time. I had to jump on a train going the opposite way and catch a bus past Moorabin to get where I was trying to go.

I remembered my least favourite station being Rushall, because if i got there it meant i was so drunk i had gotten on the wrong line and had to walk back to Clifton Hill.

Sure someone relates to what i am talking about.

Ringwood is the worst. No need to discuss any further.

Ringwood has scumbags, yes. I heard an old lady got punched out for getting off the train before some scrawny little smackhead could get on, just a couple months back.

But as far as outright danger goes, Noble Park wins every single time. Springvale and Dandenong an equal second.

Living in the eastern suburbs I can say that Ringwood, Box Hill and Bayswater are fairly dodgy after dark. Ringwood however is dodgy at any time. My brothers mate was bashed with a baseball bat for no good reason (not that i think there is a reason to do that to anyone) at Ringwood station after a footy game.This, however, is going back 2-3 years ago before me or my mates had our license. I'm sure it has cleaned up a little with all the train assaults.

Again, Ringwood was absolutely one of the worst stations from around the late 90's to the mid 00's, but the gangsters of that generation all grew up and died of smack, went to jail or got deported.

Now there's just scrawny deadshits around but by and large its a lot safer than it used to be - and the gangs are all based in Noble now. Its one of those generational things I reckon.

I've got mates out in Mooroolbark and live in Belgrave, so I catch trains from way up in the hills to Ringwood and then get the train to Moroolbark pretty regularly.

I've never had much trouble at Ringwood, but Boronia is an absolute pile of s**t. All these rats hang around there basically at all times of the day and im glad i've never been there alone at night (always with a group of mates).

Belgrave is a terrific station, Upwey........not so much

I had two guys follow me around at Moorabin station one time. I had to jump on a train going the opposite way and catch a bus past Moorabin to get where I was trying to go.

Yeh that's not a great line either, have caught it a few times...this thread seems to be about all the worst at the moment!

I've worked nightshifts at Dandenong Railway station and to do so we had to have hired security for all the on site crews. The only place that's happened including Broadmeadows.

Whoever said Jacana was crap is dead right too. Island platform on a curve with tunnel entrance, add the area it's in and all the dark dead ground around it. It's just sacry. Hate working htere of a night time.

My grandparents have lived on Electric Street since the 60's so i'm well familiar with Jacana, and I can say although it is a scary place, nothing ever actually happens there. Caught the last train home from there many times and never had a problem.

Glenroy on the other hand......

Glenroy on the other hand......

Just a horrible, horrible place.

I remember sitting on the station at maybe 6:30, and overhearing a full conversation regarding the need for someone to "come down here" and "show me how tough you really are".

Made it all the more terrifying that it was a 16 year old female clutching what appeared to be an infant in a cradle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back