Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Rohit Sharma 209

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Sachin Tendulkar 200*

Votes: 14 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Might've played a bit differently.
True: we'll never know for sure. It'll be interesting to see how the Proteas play today against the same opponent. Will they rise to the occasion, or has their choking started early???

That's kind of my point. None for a long period, now 5 in a short period of time. It shows how the game has changed, and not really for the better.

Certainly the way bats are made now the ball tends to come off them in far more explosive manner. On top of that the boundaries tend to be in with ropes, you have more sides playing one dayers so standard of some games lower it could be argued, and finally, with T20 cricket the mindset of teams and players in general is a bit different in how they approach 50 over game. All tends to lean towards trend of higher scores being achieved more easily than in past. I also personally do not think we are in an era of a lot of great bowlers. There are some really good bowlers around like Steyn for example but not seeing the depth of pace bowling talent on world that I once saw when Viv Richards and Greg Chappell era had bowlers like Holding, Roberts, Thommo, Garner, Marshall, Lillee, Imran Khan, Hadlee etc. all from similar era. I think the bowlers around now are less menacing to face in general but probably just a cycle we going through.

How many times now has the West Indies had a 200 scored against them?? Man they have no idea how to bowl in the last 20 overs

Not even sure if seen any of these on tv.
I suspect none of the were even in top six best one day innings but they are the highest individual totals in the record books and it is the current trend.
The Steve Waugh innings in 1999 World Cup that brought our world cup campaign back from brink of death is best one day innings I ever watched but also some of the Viv Richards innings I saw as a little kid were awesome. I count them as better despite bigger many bigger scores posted. Can't even imagine the damage Viv he would do on some of the smaller grounds now and the more powerful bats. It would be scary.
In World Cup final cannot go past the Ricky Ponting innings in World Cup final. The game was over before India got to bat that day because of it.

Guptill 237* v West Indies.

Because out of the list of other batsmen that have scored 200+ he is not known for his agressive approach to the game. Plus, it was achieved in a World Cup Quarter Final.

Well perhaps if you don't pay any attention to international cricket. He's made 189 against the Poms before and played some pretty destructive innings in T20.

Guptill 237* v West Indies.

Because out of the list of other batsmen that have scored 200+ he is not known for his agressive approach to the game. Plus, it was achieved in a World Cup Quarter Final.
He is an extremely aggressive but very smart cricketer. His innings against England is one of the best I have seen live. Not sure where the myth of him being unnagressive has come from.

None, disgusting that we are so keen/happy to see bowlers destroyed, flat tracks, power plays etc, cricket has lost all it's appeal to me.

Yeah, they don't grab me either. If you wanted to watch constant hitting over the fence from a standing start, you could go down to the local driving range and watch fat office workers on their lunch breaks for a fraction of the cost...even that would be a step up in difficulty level compared to what AB's been playing against lately...

Thought for years that we're now past the need for excessive fielding restrictions and bat-friendly rules and conditions...you're never going to see Gavaskar playing for a draw in a one dayer again, so it might be time to say goodbye to powerplays and the like and return it to a contest. Even test cricket isn't afraid of a six-an-over run chase anymore, so let's get it back to tight and tough...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is an extremely aggressive but very smart cricketer. His innings against England is one of the best I have seen live. Not sure where the myth of him being unnagressive has come from.

Anyone can look a bit slow when opening with McCullum, Guptill is definitely more of a gradual starter and doesn't seem to be bothered with being, say, 10 off 25 balls early on.

Anyone can look a bit slow when opening with McCullum, Guptill is definitely more of a gradual starter and doesn't seem to be bothered with being, say, 10 off 25 balls early on.
Exactly right. His innings against England, he was strike-rate was about 75 for until he got to 70, then raised it to 90 and finished with a strike-rate of 121. He is a very good mould for an opening batsman to base their game on, I just wish he was more consistent.

Guptill easily.

To produce a double hundred like that in the pressure of a WC quarter final puts him ahead of the others. Without his innings NZ may well have been knocked out, the two big guns McCullum and Williamson were out fairly early on and none of their other batsmen really fired. It was a true matchwinning innings.

From what I've heard/seen, Guppy's innings was almost entirely pure Cricket shots. So he's my number 1.

I would argue that both the Tendulkar and Sharma (Sri Lankan) innings were very much in the same category of playing very recognisable cricketing shots (aside from Sharma's disturbingly astounding flick of his wrists off Kulasekara). I would de-rate Sharma's innings a tad because he was playing against an underdone and dispirited Sri Lankan military medium pace lineup. Guptill's whilst it was against a similar sort of West Indian attack does get extra cred due to it being at a critical stage of a world cup quarter final. It was by no means a full strength Protea bowling unit that Tendulkar maimed, but it did include Dale Steyn and it was the first to break the seemingly impenetrable barrier so I'd have to go with that.

Couldn't find a video less than 23 minutes unfortunately, but still worth a watch if you've got the time.

Tendulkar was the best 200 by a country mile, the two new balls hadn't come in yet and the field restriction as well, and he was the first player ever to do it.

Back