Player Watch Billy Frampton

Remove this Banner Ad

I take it that you don't have the stats either? My recollection is that 9 of his 16 were in the last quarter but I can't check.

I'm not sure people are saying Frampton played a great game are they?

I agree with you that he was solid and I think he played his role.

Yep, 9/16 possessions and 6/8 intercepts in the last quarter. Quarter by quarter breakdown still available on AFL stats on my tablet, not on my desktop. Not sure why they're different.

Andrews did have the most intercept possessions on the ground, 2nd most contested marks, most marks.

He wasn't dominate in the first half, but pretty much no talls were as the sun was straight in their eyes every time a ball was kicked in long.

2nd half he was extremely good and got Brisbane back into the game. Frampton gave away 2 dumb free kicks in the last quarter, 1 of which was nearly 50 when he turned around sprayed the ump after it.

Frampton was solid but the overrating of his game is getting a bit extreme. His dropping of uncontested marks 20 metres out also hurt our momentum.
You are over rating Andrew’ game, despite these stats - his contribution was inconsequential.
Hence the praise commentators had for Fly’s use of Frampton.

You are over rating Andrew’ game, despite these stats - his contribution was inconsequential.
Hence the praise commentators had for Fly’s use of Frampton.

Oh well if BT and the Richo Man praised his game that's a different story :oops:

His contribution was not inconsequential, he was very good in the 2nd half.

Player ratings from the GF

5. Harris Andrews (Brisbane Lions) - 16.5

46. Billy Frampton (Collingwood) - -4.1

this should be fun

Think Frampton will be in for a tough year if some of the new kids/Rookies come along.

I dunno. I reckon he might end up playing in defence pretty regularly. McStay going down probably moves him up in the order too. Others like Dean might be trialled forward. Thing about Billy is he was good in defence and that gives flexibility.

Player ratings from the GF

5. Harris Andrews (Brisbane Lions) - 16.5

46. Billy Frampton (Collingwood) - -4.1

this should be fun
that's the first time I've seen those bizarre rankings. Charlie Cameron had 4 kicks yet is several places above bobby Hill

Oh well if BT and the Richo Man praised his game that's a different story :oops:

His contribution was not inconsequential, he was very good in the 2nd half.
I think there’s a fair chance that if Billy hadn’t been there to carry out the specific role he was tasked with Andrews would have been very good in both halves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Frampton will be in for a tough year if some of the new kids/Rookies come along.

Big ask for a rookie or new kid to come in and be able to compete physically with any player in the league. Bilbo Frampton is a s**t truck who can bench more than Beau.

I am not on board with the criticism of Frampton. We all know what he did as a function of what he was asked to do, and what he didn't do, which was not in the coaches instructions.

I have thought since his first game that his only real fault is that he adjusts slowly (for an AFL footballer) to changed or pressured circumstances. Thus he dropped the couple of probable marks when the ball came to him while his focus was on spoiling Andrews. Most AFL players can adjust to that, but he didn't. It seems of a piece with the couple of times during the year when he gave off panicked and ineffective handballs when under extreme pressure.

I would expect that Frampton will become steadier under pressure with more experience, but will probably always be a bit off the pace for composure compared to average AFL players (This is a very high bar). Compare it to Adams' poor passing (on occasion) or Crisp's poor handballs from time to time. You accept these things in a player because of all the good things they do. We accept that Pendlebury is not very good overhead because it is insignificant in the overall context of his play. We need to accept that Frampton can be a bit panicky if we value his many attributes.

I don't think we would have won those close games earlier in the year against St Kilda, Essendon and Adelaide with Begg or Steen in the ruck instead of Frampton. Neither would've been up to the task of playing on Dixon or Lynch in defence, or keeping Harris Andrews pretty quiet in the Grand Final either.

We recruited him as a backup defender, but I'm sure we also would've considered that he'd be decent backup to have in the ruck or forward line if need be.

I'm very glad we got him, and I'm confident he'll at mimimum be serviceable if we need him at any point in 2024 to fill in for one of our talls.

1702966324745.png

young men with too much time on their hands....think of all the trees that have been felled to make the plastic and the refuse sites around melbourne filling up with unrecycled rubbish...

I don't think we would have won those close games earlier in the year against St Kilda, Essendon and Adelaide with Begg or Steen in the ruck instead of Frampton. Neither would've been up to the task of playing on Dixon or Lynch in defence, or keeping Harris Andrews pretty quiet in the Grand Final either.

We recruited him as a backup defender, but I'm sure we also would've considered that he'd be decent backup to have in the ruck or forward line if need be.

I'm very glad we got him, and I'm confident he'll at mimimum be serviceable if we need him at any point in 2024 to fill in for one of our talls.

View attachment 1874896
Yes they were the three games where we relied on him to shoulder the ruck and he was tremendous

View attachment 1874896

Pretty sure Begg was injured at the same time as Cox and Cameron. They might well have selected him ahead of frampton, we will never know.

As for the grand final, they went in with a specific game plan to replace mcstay with a defensive tall. That’s not a selection policy that has a long shelf life. Pretty much a one off.

Yes frampton is good depth though with further list improvements and natural development in the off season, he is one depth player who might see fewer opportunities this year. Most likely if he gets called up it will be in his best position in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back