Strategy Blues Tactics - What do you want to see?

What tactics do you want to see the Blues employ in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't seem to have those medium sized and quick types who can take a mark and rove well at ground level you see getting around in a lot of the top side's forward lines. Like the Hawks have Bruce, Gunston and Smith, those sorts. I guess Menzel is that kind of player but he's out.

We just need to have more players capable of winning the footy after we get the clearance and to lead and break things up so we aren't bombing long as often.

Hopefully Menzel can get going again and perhaps when Yarran comes back Walker can play forward. You'd hope Everitt could offer something here but he's been poor. Casey Byrne strikes me as a possibility for a half forward or wingman type, he's quick, clever and good overhead. Oh and can kick the footy well, that's important in all this.

While we are at it - we may as well not even play a ruckman and just have an extra midfielder in the circle to try and force a stoppage as soon as the tap out occurs.

Rinse and repeat for four quarters and try to play for a draw at 0.0 each.

But our midfielders would need to tackle to achieve that. I think we would need to create a tight arm linked circle around the stoppage to physically prevent the ball from being played to the outside. Training will consist of watching 300 on repeat.

EDIT: and no more pre-game or half-time huddles so as not to give our new game plan away

When we play the kids, let them play!
  • Let Whiley hunt the ball (I'm sure he'd still be defensive regardless);
  • Give Graham a full game - tell him to be attacking and look to score (like in the 2's);
  • Tell Boekhurst to take the game on - take chances and run - that's why we recruited him;
  • Let Jaksch play as loose man in defence - build his confidence;
  • Play Smith on the forward line as our aggressive small forward.
Have a plan B (and C) for our kick outs. I'm so over us choking and not getting the ball out of our defensive 50 after a point. In the pre-season we were kicking barrels every now and then to break open the defense. Why not now (we couldnt do any worse than we are doing).

Bring in pace and players that will have a real go. Yaz is back. Simmo is back. Menzel has had two in the 2's so should be back. Holman is due - at least he will bring some grunt to the team. Tutt should be due.

Take the game on FFS!

Why stop there C4[2]Yo`DooR . Let's play 17 in our defensive half and one up front on their own. If we can keep it to 0.0 a piece late in the 4th we can sneak a cheeky point before the final siren
If we kept one up the front, at least there'd be someone to kick to when we get a turnover. That would ACTUALLY be an improvement.

While we are at it - we may as well not even play a ruckman and just have an extra midfielder in the circle to try and force a stoppage as soon as the tap out occurs.

Rinse and repeat for four quarters and try to play for a draw at 0.0 each.
At least that's a guaranteed 44 points for the year. You could almost sneak into the 8 with that. Percentage would be an issue though.

Who do you propose is the "One"?
That's debatable. Hendo is a good kick, but not the best in a marking contest unless he's a few steps ahead of his defender. Levi is the best target, but a terrible kick. Watson is good in both areas, but not the best and would have to run around the boundary line if he doubled back.
It would just be nice to have someone there so that our run and carry doesn't stall at the centre square. It was painful watching Bell have to pull up and eventually kick backwards when he was off and running last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's debatable. Hendo is a good kick, but not the best in a marking contest unless he's a few steps ahead of his defender. Levi is the best target, but a terrible kick. Watson is good in both areas, but not the best and would have to run around the boundary line if he doubled back.
It would just be nice to have someone there so that our run and carry doesn't stall at the centre square. It was painful watching Bell have to pull up and eventually kick backwards when he was off and running last week.

Cas has kicked straight last two games - at present its him for me. Things are not looking good for watto.

Watto's shot. Any self-confidence he had left him when he left the ground early. Bloody shame, has had to put up with a lot of critics and doubters and it now seems they have had the final word.

Crazy sub for me...he might have paid the biggest price for another torrid team performance. I'm not sure what he was supposed to do and the same could be said for Jones I guess. That being said, I only watch the games on TV so I could be missing things he is doing/not doing off camera.

Inside Game
Theory I have is that we are carrying out less tackles because tackles generally are made inside contests and very rarely on the outside (although they are more spectacular). We are offensive on the inside and therefore don't stick as many tackles. I personally prefer we get less tackles inside and chase the ball but we gotta do something different when we get it
Action: continue to win the inside ball BUT handball, handball, handball until clear and hit a leading target.
Stop: kicking blindly forward

Open Play
We get killed on the turnover and we always appear to be chasing tail
Action: When they have the ball, man on man through the centre corridor and zone the outside
Stop: kicking blindly forward & run and carry to break lines & pass the ball rather than kick on the forwards head
Anyone who doesn't comply has to drop for 20 at every break - get Barker to monitor this - surely he can't screw that up!

Forwards & Backs
They've got no hope at present - it's like moving the deck chairs around on the titanic until we sought out the two issues above

I'd just like to see the players given some stability.

Put them in a position and leave them there.

- Watson was drafted as a defender, leave him there the rest of the season, we arent winning anyway.
- Hendo, forward or back, pick one.
- Jaksch, same as above
- Yarran, stop trying to turn him into Andrew Mcleod, he's a HFF and always has been
- Less taggers. Curnow, Carrots etc. Pick one.
- Less rushed long bombs. Or zero preferably.
- attack the ball carrier, no more of the zoning or just watching him run into an open goal coz you're too scared to leave your own man.

- play the kids. For the rest of the season.

Cas has kicked straight last two games - at present its him for me. Things are not looking good for watto.
I'd be more than happy for it to be Casboult, but he's had 2 games where he's kicking has been better. Let's not jump the gun and claim that he's cured. I'm sure we can all agree that we hope this is a turning point for him, but he's got to play a lot of good goal kicking games to catch up to the number of bad goal kicking games, and it won't be easy when the forwards are starved of opportunity.

I'd be more than happy for it to be Casboult, but he's had 2 games where he's kicking has been better. Let's not jump the gun and claim that he's cured. I'm sure we can all agree that we hope this is a turning point for him, but he's got to play a lot of good goal kicking games to catch up to the number of bad goal kicking games, and it won't be easy when the forwards are starved of opportunity.

No gun jumping here. He gets the nod on form but it will be his tally and performance over the entire season that will be a more accurate measure of where he is at.

A new coach so will we see a new game style?
We have been able to match most teams inside the contests so let's hope we continue to win the inside ball BUT handball and handball until clear and then hit a leading target.

I want the guys to stop kicking blindly forward & instead run and carry to break lines & pass the ball rather than kick it on the forwards heads. But for that to work we need less guys to be instructed to tag or run with players. Thiswhich will mean they will have the licence to spread rather than have to spend the whole game glued to their opponent (or five steps behind).

A new coach so will we see a new game style?
We have been able to match most teams inside the contests so let's hope we continue to win the inside ball BUT handball and handball until clear and then hit a leading target.

I say Yes we did see a new game style.
1) we saw loose man in Defense
2) we are seeing utilities being played forward (Everitt) rather than immobile talls
3) most pleasing of all - we are seeing attacking football, run and carry through the middle, razzle dazzle

I also like the byproduct - uncontested possessions

I am convinced Barker is reading the thread - so start offering up the suggestions! :p:p

I regularly talk to myself at home so why not reply to my own posts online

I say Yes we did see a new game style.
1) we saw loose man in Defense
2) we are seeing utilities being played forward (Everitt) rather than immobile talls
3) most pleasing of all - we are seeing attacking football, run and carry through the middle, razzle dazzle

I also like the byproduct - uncontested possessions

I am convinced Barker is reading the thread - so start offering up the suggestions! :p:p

I regularly talk to myself at home so why not reply to my own posts online
I think we need to focus on taller and faster players going forward.
Hence love seeing Everitt forward as he can kick OK.
Army is a good set shot also and has the speed/nous to be a menace as a defensive forward.
Add Bell and Menzel up forward and we have size and speed happening.
Plus we get more mid-field rotations.

Love the attacking football, even when we do not win, as you can see we are a better team with this game plan and all our players actually look like they can play. Confidence is lifting. Just need a bit more midfield quality to come in this draft period.

Finally, would like to see Hendo and Gibbs back as our defence is better when they are there. Both are very good in other positions but we need them to be AA level and to be that they have to play their best position. Hendo can switch forward, and Gibbs can rotate into the midfield to make us a better team.
Must stop opponent scoring easy goals, junk time goals, and rebound goals which all demonstrate a lack of leadership/skill down back at critical times.

Back