Bottoms Up

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd give my left nut to go back to 1978 again when we were about to embark on a solid four-year period.

In that case I don't think you'd have the balls to go through it all again.

Boom tish

We've been a run away freight train that was never very reliable that went off the rails around 2012 that we just haven't been able to pull up yet. Unfortunately once things start going downhill for a footy club it is incredibly hard and takes a fairly long time to not only stop things sliding but to actually turn things around as well. The only thing that stops a slide is talented youth coming through and lots of them. Just like the only thing that stops a rise is a lack of. At least we're close to pulling things up, pretty much because we've crashed on the bottom. It's all a matter of how long will we be here now. I hate to say it but it's looking like at least two or three years at least, more if we lose our better players 27 and under. Looking forward to seeing what SOS does with early draft picks, Really like what he has done at GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not Tony Abbott, Robbo.

I don't long for some misremembered past .

I want a new future.

Put the 16 cups in storage and join the 21st Century.
Tony's not much of a thinker. A bit of a simpleton in my opinion.

As for the Premiership Cups. I've touched several of them. They do not represent a poison chalice. In fact I say move the cabinet out into Royal Parade so more can see the magnificence of the Carlton Football Club.

You wouldn't donate a knacker just to be transported back to 1978 again ??

Nah. I remember it all just fine. I like to reminisce but you can never go back, just forwards. I'd like to be a bit younger though. That'd be worth considering.

Last edited:
Tony's not much of a thinker. A bit of a simpleton in my opinion.

As for the Premiership Cups. I've touched several of them. They do not represent a poison chalice. In fact I say move the cabinet out into Royal Parade so more can see the magnificence of the Carlton Football Club.

Prominent position? Someone might offer us a few bucks for them I suppose. How is the curio market in Melb?

The money will come in handy.

Take those cups out of the foyer at Princes Park and put them in storage.

Need to stop looking back, leave that to the past players and coterie group circle jerks.

Got to be lean, hungry and ruthless. This club is still pissed on it's past glories.
Don't disrespect the teams that won those cups
Except the wizard cup maybe
But that was a great night still

If the "bottoms up" status quo remains until Rd. 22, the huge positive is that we will be guaranteed at least two draft picks inside the top 20 and if we can trade at least one (or two ?) of our experienced players such as Gibbs for a high pick / and or a player, we will take our first steps towards our long slow climb up the ladder.

From what I have read so far, either or both, Jacob Weitering or Josh Schache, two potential KP players, should our priorities, along with F/S picks in Bailey Rice and Jack Silvagni being no brainer selections.

Another highly rated midfielder or two would also be handy to say the least !!!

You wouldn't donate a knacker just to be transported back to 1978 again ??
I would donate one of yours to go back to 1978 again :D I would need both of mine for going through high school again :p

If the "bottoms up" status quo remains until Rd. 22, the huge positive is that we will be guaranteed at least two draft picks inside the top 20 and if we can trade at least one (or two ?) of our experienced players such as Gibbs for a high pick / and or a player, we will take our first steps towards our long slow climb up the ladder.

From what I have read so far, either or both, Jacob Weitering or Josh Schache, two potential KP players, should our priorities, along with F/S picks in Bailey Rice and Jack Silvagni being no brainer selections.

Another highly rated midfielder or two would also be handy to say the least !!!
Weitering or Schache would be very handy...

But if we dont get Schache...
Harry McKay
200cm/85kg
24/12/97
Key forward
Vic Country/Gippsland Power
Made people take notice with a four-goal haul early in the TAC Cup season and has continued to generate interest in club ranks. A left-footer with pace, McKay also has the athleticism to push onto a wing where he can use his natural running ability. He keeps showing exciting snippets – a good mark on the lead, a twist and turn to find space, or a goal that looks unlikely.
200cm tall forward who can also push up to the wing... nice :D A bit light at the moment...
Dylan Smith
198cm/82kg
7/2/97
Key forward
Western Australia/Swan Districts
The athletic tall forward has caught the eye of scouts this season playing at colts level in Western Australia. He is a quick and hard-running option who can take a mark. Smith booted five goals and had nine marks in round two of the under-18 season for Swan Districts and the championships will give him the chance of impressing at a higher level. He offers some versatility as well and can be used in defence.
198cm tall and can play at either end... like McKay... a bit on the light side.
Sam Weideman
196cm/91kg
26/6/97
Key forward
Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges
Weideman is a tall, imposing and efficient key forward who shapes as a very early pick this year. The grandson of Collingwood legend Murray Weideman and son of former Magpie Mark, the 17-year-old starred on the MCG last month for the NAB AFL Academy. Weideman is prepared to fly at the ball and into packs, he can kick on both feet, and has the natural smarts of a goalkicker. A reliable shot for goal, Weideman booted five last week for the Eastern Ranges.
While he is a Magpie legacy, his dad only played 28 games for the filth so he is available for everyone. Good height, good weight. Just keeps a couple of kilos more and he would be in the same basket as Schache.

Dream scenario... we keep Lachie and send him into defence to form a tall partnership with Weitering and Jaksch. We pick up Weiderman and Schache as well and slot them into the forward line with Casboult as the third tall and part time ruckman until Jack is ready to go.

However to get all three of those guys, we need to trade out 2 of our best players. The only option we would have would be trading Jamison to GC17. They need a new marshall in their defence and could use him up there. But that wouldnt get us our third top 20 pick. Gibbs and/or Murphy would get us our picks.

The club shouldnt be looking at trading either of Yarran or Menzel out. They should be forming the core of the new team. The club needs to sell the future to them to keep them at the club. If we do get rid of them... there are going to be some interesting trades happening to get us the picks we want for them. I dont see either of them going for less than a top 10 pick.

Ohh... and if we are going for a small midfielder with pace and attitude...
Darcy Parish
181cm/75kg
25/7/97
Midfielder
Vic Country/Geelong Falcons
Parish is a go-getting midfielder who makes things happen. With run, carry and very neat skills, Parish is quick to keep the ball moving forward and takes his team with him. He belies his smaller size to throw himself into contests and hunts the ball with ferocity. Parish started the year in brilliant form, being close to best afield in the first few games he played. Thumb surgery will sideline him for the opening part of the championships but he'll have plenty of time to tuck the ball under his arm and dash off.

Nope.

hated Elliot, Smorgon, Sticks. Had a brief dalliance with Dick, but I put that down to curiosity.

How do you feel about Joan Collins ?

His reign as president was as bad as it gets ..

Things are gonna get worse before they get better.
It's like the Pagan era all over again, but worse since it's the 2nd time in how many years that we're going through this.
I don't blame the supporters and members for being angry, we have every right to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back