Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

At first, athletics protested this disinheritance bitterly - and still resents that it will be squeezed out for five weeks at the peak of every athletics season by the tentacular grand prix - but now is resolved to start the hallowing process all over again. The finish line becomes the start.

The finish line becomes the start.

Nice sentence that and the use of tentacular, from the urban dictionary, "a bad ass serve of squid"? LOL.

THE VALUE OF ATHLETICS IS MORE THAN JUST $$$
While track and field may not be the revenue earner that AFL is, surely the benefits to the community are obvious to those who are making these decisions.
After all sport should be about people – not money.
Forward your expressions of athletic interest to E. Maguire, P.O. Box 666, Collingwood.

Pretty sure the talk was about keeping the outside track and removing the stadium one as its the outside track that's newer and used for all the comps there. It even has a stadium.

I'm actually an athletics fan as much as I am an Aussie Rules fan and I saw this when one of my friends shared this link on facebook yesterday.

I made the point that the athletics take on this article is quite wrong. They see it as AFL vs athletics, when in fact the plan is to make it a multi use facility for a number of elite sports that could actually benefit athletics.

Netball is already going there and the article in the paper mentioned the plan was to build new facilities and improve the current facilities so they could be used by Netball Queensland/Firebirds, The Roar, The Lions and the QAS. I would imagine a number of elite track and field athletes would actually benefit from their association with the QAS and the new sports science and rehab facilities that would be built. They simply read "AFL oval where the warm up track is" and decided it was AFL vs athletics without considering the potential benefits. If the plans had the soccer oval there, it would be athletics vs soccer.

Sure, recreational athletes and school athletes probably wouldn't get access to those elite facilities, but I see that as more of an amateur vs elite argument rather than athletics vs AFL argument.

And also, why couldn't they shift all athletics activities to the track inside the main stadium. As it currently stands, the track in the stadium is hardly used. All the training and a lot of the competitions are currently held on the outside track. I went and watched the Australian Athletics Tour event there earlier this year with some of our best athletes competing (Sally Pearson, Alana Boyd) and they only used the outside track. The main stadium was empty and not booked for a concert etc as they said was often the case. The only time (to my knowledge) two tracks are needed at the same time is the National Champs that happen once a year. And the other states get by without having a warm up track at their athletics venues.

And finally, there are synthetic running tracks available at UQ and Nudgee if the track inside the stadium can't be used by amateur athletes for training. Admittedly, it's not ideal having nothing on the southside, but using their words, having such a wide variety of sports utilising this facility benefits far more people in the community than athletics alone could.

The end

Last edited:
I'm actually an athletics fan as much as I am an Aussie Rules fan and I saw this when one of my friends shared this link on facebook yesterday.

I made the point that the athletics take on this article is quite wrong. They see it as AFL vs athletics, when in fact the plan is to make it a multi use facility for a number of elite sports that could actually benefit athletics.

Netball is already going there and the article in the paper mentioned the plan was to build new facilities and improve the current facilities so they could be used by Netball Queensland/Firebirds, The Roar, The Lions and the QAS. I would imagine a number of elite track and field athletes would actually benefit from their association with the QAS and the new sports science and rehab facilities that would be built. They simply read "AFL oval where the warm up track is" and decided it was AFL vs athletics without considering the potential benefits. If the plans had the soccer oval there, it would be athletics vs soccer.

Sure, recreational athletes and school athletes probably wouldn't get access to those elite facilities, but I see that as more of an amateur vs elite argument rather than athletics vs AFL argument.

And also, why couldn't they shift all athletics activities to the track inside the main stadium. As it currently stands, the track in the stadium is hardly used. All the training and a lot of the competitions are currently held on the outside track. I went and watched the Australian Athletics Tour event there earlier this year with some of our best athletes competing (Sally Pearson, Alana Boyd) and they only used the outside track. The main stadium was empty and not booked for a concert etc as they said was often the case. The only time (to my knowledge) two tracks are needed at the same time is the National Champs that happen once a year. And the other states get by without having a warm up track at their athletics venues.

And finally, there are synthetic running tracks available at UQ and Nudgee if the track inside the stadium can't be used by amateur athletes for training. Admittedly, it's not ideal having nothing on the southside, but using their words, having such a wide variety of sports utilising this facility benefits far more people in the community than athletics alone could.

The end

Yes i think that some of the issue that's caused them getting very riled up is the fact that the article has stated that its the outside track thats going to get replaced when all the initial talk was that it was the stadium that was going to get partially disassembled and that running track was going to get pulled up due to the fact that its actually in pretty bad shape. Now this could have changed but I'm reasonably confident that was the initial plan. It hasn't been re-laid for a long time an gets pretty cut up from the big events they have there from what I've been told. The other main reason they don't run a lot of athletics on the main track is the fact that they require a lot more security and other staff for events held there, rather than the one grandstand at the outside track.

As for the concerts and events the showgrounds are massively underutilised for this sort of thing and while they don't have the same capacity an upgrade could certainly be looked at with the money from these events.

As you do, I think its a massively underutilized resource and a redevelopment of the precinct to deliver better facilities for all the parties involved would be a massive benefit that they're simply ignoring or do not know enough detail about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your posts L Dizz and Fatcat08 - I also would like to see athletics prosper in Australia and see more world class Australian athletes developed..

Would it be feasible to hold Australian championships and other top level athletic events at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games arena instead of the existing facility?

Thanks for your posts L Dizz and Fatcat08 - I also would like to see athletics prosper in Australia and see more world class Australian athletes developed..

Would it be feasible to hold Australian championships and other top level athletic events at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games arena instead of the existing facility?
Well they'd have to rip up the main track after the games there as the Suns won't be able to play there otherwise. You'd think they'd leave the warm up track though (although there's already a good track at Gold Coast Griffith Uni - where Sally Pearson trains), so it would depend if there's any sort of grandstand built with it.

They can hold major meets at locations without two tracks though. Recently National Champs have been held in Perth and Melbourne and they don't have warm up tracks (according to Google Maps!). So if they resurfaced the main track in Brisbane I can't see why they couldn't continue to have major meets up here. Particularly if all the other facilities for the athletes are improved as well.

Laughable, JT asked for a new stadium in his GF winning speech.

Knowing this state, it will probably happen.

Funding has already been partially committed. Just not enough...

"Without having two tracks available for use at QSAC I probably woulnd't have come home from the Commonwealth Youth Games with 2 silver medals."

:drunk::$

"Second comes right after first."

hqdefault.jpg

Honestly, no one gives the faintest * about the Commonwealth Games anymore. It peaked at Auckland in 1990 and has been a steady decline into irrelevance since.

EDIT: Lol, just realised she said "Commonwealth Youth Games".

LOLLLLLLLLL!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back