Other Build a Team Exercise

Remove this Banner Ad

Swap Peterson and Incognito for Jackson and Hutchinson

That's one of the things I was grring about. Good call.

There were a few there I was mixing and matching and it was aggravating the hell out of me.

I went with Peterson-Johnson tho cause of the dynamic they'd have, one the everydown runner, the other used a lot for screens and toss plays etc in a Sean Payton offense. Was trying to gel the team together in every facet. Dom Capers (3-4) still works cos you have the right players in there to play a 3-4 on defense too.

Plus, I was making sure I picked players from their correct positions. S.Hutchinson LG for instance, Incognito RG.

Good idea, TGBB. I know Zarko is looking at creating a new different type of fantasy league.

One thing ESPN allows is you can have a player pool consisting of just AFC or NFC players. So what you could do is set up two leagues and have one AFC only and the other NFC only. And then when they eventually meet in the Superbowl it would be like that. The divisional idea is good, unfortunately ESPN doesnt have that setting.

Plus you could have a structure like AFL dream team, where everyone can select the same players. But putting that provision in of only one or two players from every team allowed, would make it interesting. Again, not an option in ESPN i dont think.

But if they did it would open up the possibilities.

Even If ESPN don't allow for it you could just simply make it you can't take FAs/ waivers from players other than your division.

Have three/four 8-team leagues. No draft required, you can make squads any size you want with basically any player in the division available, the point of the league would simply be who to start. You would probably make each position deep e.g 3 RBs 2 QBs 6 WRs etc as just one would make it simple decision in most divs. Bye weeks may be a problem.

anyway maybe something for another thread.

The divisional idea is good, unfortunately ESPN doesnt have that setting.
you could just enforce it, and give a team an automatic loss if they have anyone outside their specified team/division

we could have (if teams)
4 leagues of 8 teams (named, AFC NE, AFC SW, NFC NE and NFC SW)
play everyone twice (taking 14 weeks)
top 2 from each league go to a playoff
week 15 - divisional playoffs (1 AFC NE vs 2 AFC SW, 1 AFC SW vs 2 AFC NE, 1 NFC NE vs 2 NFC SW, 1 NFC SW vs 2 NFC NE)
week 16 - conference playoffs (last 2 afc teams against each other, same with NFC)
week 17 - superbowl (winner of AFC vs NFC)

if you go with divisions
have just the 8 team league with each NFL division
play everyone twice (week 1-14)
week 15 - 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5
week 16 - winner match 1 v winner match 4, winner match 2 v winner match 3
week 17 - winners of week 16 against each other

have start (all up max.)
1 (4) QB
1/2 (8) RB
2/3 (12) WR
1 (4) TE
3/4 (16) DL
4/3 (16) LB
4 (16) DB
1 (4) K

I dont like the 6 man defence in Cutthroat, have a full 11 man d, and have the 6 offensive players that are not lineman

in brackets, you can take everyone from your division, so no one at all can take the players you've been designated

DE - Osi Umenyiora (Giants)
DT - Albert Haynesworth (Redskins)
DT - Shaun Rogers (Browns)
DE - Julius Peppers (Panthers)

OLB - Demarcus Ware (Cowboys)
ILB - Patrick Willis (49ers)
OLB - James Harrison (Steelers)

CB - Nnamdi Asomugha (Raiders)
CB - Darelle Revis (Jets)
FS - Ed Reed (Ravens)
SS - Jairus Byrd (Bills)

Goddamn that's just unfair.

Revis and Asomugha as the CBs would just destroy any receiver.

yeah i dont like it either.
but i do like the idea of divisions and conference pools of players.

I like the idea of divisions also.

Another thing I was thinking about was building a team from scratch, in order. So you can take any player from any team, just be interesting to see which order you'd take them in.

For instance

1. QB - Manning
2. LT - Clady
3. DE - Williams

and so on and so on. I'd like to see who people prioritise...

Lol, i was just thinking if someone wanted to have a go at building the WORST team haha.

Mangini HC, Ryan Fitzpatrick QB, Heyward-Bey WR, etc etc.

Who wants to give it a go? they have to be starters tho.
stupid Cable :mad:
I would of wanted Russell, now I'm stuck with Delhomme

I like the idea of divisions also.

Another thing I was thinking about was building a team from scratch, in order. So you can take any player from any team, just be interesting to see which order you'd take them in.

For instance

1. QB - Manning
2. LT - Clady
3. DE - Williams

and so on and so on. I'd like to see who people prioritise...
fwiw, I always take Williams as my first pick in a fantasy draft in Madden (would take joe Thomas if he was still around) with Calvin Johnson in the second

with 46 randoms inbetween before I end it with Ian Johnson :)

QB - Peyton Manning (IND)
QB - Drew Brees (NO)

RB - Chris Johnson (TENN)
RB - Frank Gore (SF)
FB - Ovie Mughelli (ATL)

WR - Larry Fitzgerald (ARIZ)
WR - Calvin Johnson (DET)
WR - Lee Evans (BUFF)
WR - Josh Cribbs (CLEV)

TE - Antonio Gates (SD)
TE - Kellen Winslow (TB)

LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (NYJ)
LG - V.Manuwai (JAX)
C - Ryan Kalil (CAR)
RG - Chris Snee (NYG)
RT - Vernon Carey (MIA)

K - Olindo MAre (SEA)
P - Dustin Colquitt (KC)

DE - Andre Carter (WASH)
DT - Richard Seymour (OAK)
DT - Kevin Williams (MINN)
DE - Trent Cole (PHIL)

OLB - James Harrison (PITT)
ILB - DeMeco Ryans (HOU)
OLB - Lance Briggs (CHI)

CB - Charles Woodson (GB)
CB - Leon Hall (CIN)
FS - Ed Reed (BALT)
SS - Oshiomogho Atogwe (STL)

HC - Bill Belicheck (NE)
OC - Jason Garrett (DALL)
DC - Mike Nolan (DEN)

yeah i dont like it either.
but i do like the idea of divisions and conference pools of players.

Not interested in dividing into division pools :thumbsdown: Conference isn't that much better either. If it ain't broke.. ;) btw... AFL Dream team concept... pffft! I'm with Redragger.. ownership is what makes BF NFL draft day
all the worthwhile with options aplenty.

Lol, i was just thinking if someone wanted to have a go at building the WORST team haha.

Mangini HC, Ryan Fitzpatrick QB, Heyward-Bey WR, etc etc.

Who wants to give it a go? they have to be starters tho.
had to do this before Monday (Russell still officially starter ;))

had to use NFL.com current depth charts, so these guys are still classified as starters

QB - JaMarcus Russell (OAK)
HB - Justin Forsett (SEA)
FB - Gijon Robinson (IND)
WR - Domenik Hixon (NYG)
WR - David Clowney (NYJ)
TE - Ben Patrick (ARI)
LT - Garry Williams (CAR)
LG - Jon Jansen (DET)
C - Jason Spitz (GB)
RG - Chris White (HOU)
RT - Adam Snyder (SF)

LE - Ryan McBean (DEN)
DT - Thomas Johnson (ATL)
DT - Domata Peko (CIN)
RE - Stylez White (TB)
OLB - Jamar Williams (CHI)
ILB - Eric Alexander (NE)
OLB - Moise Fokou (PHI)
CB - Ashton Youboty (BUF)
CB - William Middleton (JAC)
FS - Alan Hall (DAL)
SS - Kevin Ellison (SD)

K - Steven Hauschka (BAL)
P - Thomas Morstead (NO)

HC - Jim Zorn (WAS)
OC - Brian Daboll (CLE)
DC - Clancy Pendergast (KC)

remaining players are from teams I couldnt find a player bad enough to be in the bad team [in spots still vacant](along with Morstead and Snyder in starting lineup) and im just taking the worst out of these teams

QB - Chad Henne (MIA)
HB - Rashard Mendenhall (PIT)
WR - Bernard Berrian (MIN)
WR - Brandon Gibson (ST L)
TE - Bo Scaife (TEN)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thread GG. I like the divisional idea for FF as well, just for shits and giggles, but would be interesting.

This was a tough task, very fiddly, and got annoying towards the end. I tried to build a legitimate team based on strong OL and DL, then expand from there. My idea was that the coaches came last because I reckon anyone could coach a team like this. But enough chat and on to my team:

QB - Tom Brady (NE)
QB - Matt Cassel (KC)

RB - Maurice Jones-Drew (JAC)
RB - Steven Jackson (STL)
FB - Lousaka Polite (MIA)

WR - Reggie Wayne (IND)
WR - Vincent Jackson (SD)
WR - DeSean Jackson (PHI)
WR - TJ Houschmanzadeh (SEA)

TE - Tony Gonzalez (ATL)
TE - Kellen Winslow (TB)

LT - Joe Thomas (CLE)
LG - Robert Gallery (OAK)
C - Nick Mangold (NYJ)
RG - Deuce Lutui (ARI)
RT - Michael Roos (TEN)

DE - Justin Tuck (NYG)
DT - Albert Haynesworth (WAS)
DT - Marcus Stroud (BUF)
DE - Jared Allen (MIN)

OLB - Brian Cushing (HOU)
ILB - Jon Beason (CAR)
OLB - DeMarcus Ware (DAL)

CB - Champ Bailey (DEN)
CB - Leon Hall (CIN)
FS - Ed Reed (BAL)
SS - Troy Polamalu (PIT)

K - Robbie Gould (CHI)
P - Andy Lee (SF)

HC - Sean Payton (NO)
OC - Scott Linehan (DET)
DC - Dom Capers (GB)

I'm surprised Sean Payton is getting so much love as HC.

I'm surprised at Capers getting so much love at DC. The reason I chose Payton was I already had Manning and Rivers at QB, and basically there wasn't really anyone else on the Saints I wanted. I contemplated having Marv Lewis at HC, and Gregg Williams at DC but decided against it...

Capers & Williams I reckon are very similar.

I keep hearing too about all this offensive talent the Saints have but nobody seems to rate them that highly.

Nappies I reckon is pretty close to what I'd come up with although I'd take Brees over Cassel. Not sure who I'd take as head coach. Brady or Moss & Manning or Wayne I reckon are monties from those teams so that discounts two of the best off-field setups.

The reason I chose Payton is because I was thinking who the biggest star player was for every team when choosing names---building a pro-bowl type of team.

Unlike Nappies, i basically started at skill positions and defense and worked thru the OL, coaches and kickers "on the side" forming bit by bit last. A lot of mixing/matching that went on with certain teams, like Jaguars, MJD or an OL, S.Jackson or a coach or OL, etc.

You cannot pass up Manning at QB, so then the star for Saints becomes Payton, when you're looking for a HC. He's legitimately there. You wouldn't think Norv Turner or Jim Caldwell would be bigger or equal stars to Manning/Rivers.

You could choose Belichick for instance as a better HC, but you also have a big name in Randy Moss there too.

Capers & Williams I reckon are very similar.

I keep hearing too about all this offensive talent the Saints have but nobody seems to rate them that highly.

Nappies I reckon is pretty close to what I'd come up with although I'd take Brees over Cassel. Not sure who I'd take as head coach. Brady or Moss & Manning or Wayne I reckon are monties from those teams so that discounts two of the best off-field setups.

Receivers can be found on almost any team though, so that's why I went the Belicheck/Manning combination. I believe my combination of Fitzgerald/Johnson is as good, if not better than a Moss/Wayne combo*...

*Not this year obviously, but I assume we're talking players at their absolute best, not how they're performing over the past 10 weeks.

Pretty good effort, tho Heyward-Bey surely has to be a WR, thus another QB from another team.
Surely Mangini for worst HC.
Russell had to be there. But on monady I would have Cable as the Raider representative
Mangini would be a good coach for this team, but their offence is so pathetic, I needed their OC in the team. No one is worse there, I dont know why I put Zorn in though. I think it was becuase they didnt have a totally s**t player in the spots I had left to fill, except Zorn. But the first thing I did alltogether when I made this team.

QB - Russell
OC - BRowns
DC - Cheifs (changed to rams then back to cheifs)
HC - Tampa Bay (changed to Washington_
Clowney isn't a starter Riggy, Cotchery and Edwards above him.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/depthchart?team=NYJ
Right WR's Depth chart
Edwards
Smith

Left WR's Depth Chart
Clowney
Wright
Cotchery

if you dont like it, take it up with the NFL for getting it wrong not me.

Nappies I reckon is pretty close to what I'd come up with although I'd take Brees over Cassel.

I took Cassel based on the fact he'd be a better backup QB than a starting QB, plus the relationship with Brady. All well and good to have Brees, but if he's not playing there's no point having him sitting on the pine :p

Here is my attempt - took longer than anticipated! Time waster indeed.

QB - Peyton Manning (IND)
HB - Adrian Peterson (MIN)
FB - Brad Hoover (CAR)
WR - Andre Johnson (HOU)
WR - Larry Fitzgerald (ARI)
TE - Jason Witten (DAL)
T - David Diehl (NYG)
T - Chad Clifton (GB)
G - Brian Waters (KC)
G - Robert Gallery (OAK)
C - Todd McClure (ATL)
DE - Ty Warren (NE)